This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Lynchburg is such a weird place. Residential properties are going up like crazy, both single-family & townhomes/apartments. Yet, commercially it seems to be, not disaster, but depressed. In the meantime, they've cleared out a large area on Timberlake that is listed for commercial development. We keep building spaces for businesses we can't seemingly support.
By cruzan_flame13
ALUmnus wrote:Lynchburg is such a weird place. Residential properties are going up like crazy, both single-family & townhomes/apartments. Yet, commercially it seems to be, not disaster, but depressed. In the meantime, they've cleared out a large area on Timberlake that is listed for commercial development. We keep building spaces for businesses we can't seemingly support.
I know LU has engaged with the Lynchburg community, but that community does not want the university to gain full control like other colleges across the nation. These same people do not like too much change and because of that, things are a bit outdated and many business places are opening everywhere. At this rate Lynchburg will stay stagnated (one could argue that it is growing but when one business is established, another business goes away) and the big plans that the committee contains will take for ever to be established. It's sad because Lynchburg can gain so much economically and grow in less than the proposed date of 2040. But hey, it is what it is I suppose.
By Class of 20Something
ALUmnus wrote:Lynchburg is such a weird place. Residential properties are going up like crazy, both single-family & townhomes/apartments. Yet, commercially it seems to be, not disaster, but depressed. In the meantime, they've cleared out a large area on Timberlake that is listed for commercial development. We keep building spaces for businesses we can't seemingly support.
We just want parking lots that aren't designed by monkeys. I would be very surprised if the property on Timberlake doesn't mirror the success of the Cornerstone and Wyndhurst model. Business on the street level and residences above. Every area that is dying has one major fault in common. None have traffic control devices easing access to the roads. Look at the dead corner of Wards, Fort Hill Shopping Center, and the old steakhouse on Candlers Mtn Rd.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I know LU has engaged with the Lynchburg community, but that community does not want the university to gain full control like other colleges across the nation. These same people do not like too much change and because of that, things are a bit outdated and many business places are opening everywhere. At this rate Lynchburg will stay stagnated (one could argue that it is growing but when one business is established, another business goes away) and the big plans that the committee contains will take for ever to be established. It's sad because Lynchburg can gain so much economically and grow in less than the proposed date of 2040. But hey, it is what it is I suppose.
Eh, sure there are folks in the community that don't want LU. The problem is, LU doesn't really engage the community in a positive way on a regular basis. There are students that do, and obviously employees and faculty are all part of the community but as an organization, they could do a better job.

To be honest, when I see what Liberty does with the external properties they do control, I wouldn't want to give them any more control either. Take a look at the Fort Hill shopping center, The Plaza, River Ridge, Candlers Station. Why would anyone look at those places and think that Liberty needs more control over property?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
We just want parking lots that aren't designed by monkeys. I would be very surprised if the property on Timberlake doesn't mirror the success of the Cornerstone and Wyndhurst model. Business on the street level and residences above. Every area that is dying has one major fault in common. None have traffic control devices easing access to the roads. Look at the dead corner of Wards, Fort Hill Shopping Center, and the old steakhouse on Candlers Mtn Rd.
This is one of the biggest issues. Location and accessibility is such a key part of success. I also think destination locations can be more successful. If I know I can eat and get some other errands done without having to move my car, you're more likely to get my business. There are a ton of factors.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
FWIW - The Fort Hill shopping center is being remodeled. One portion is being condemned, torn down, and rebuilt. The rest will receive a face lift to match.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The main roads in Lynchburg also weren’t designed very well at all.
This is true too. It's funny how big of a detour is needed to get to Main Street due to work on one bridge and work on 5th Street. The funny thing is, the development downtown has made it worth it for a lot of people to A. Travel down there and B. Enough people live in the area now to still frequent the businesses down there.

I think that businesses either need to be so great people will sacrifice convenience on the road and/or be located in a place of heavy traffic. That's why I think one of the solutions to River Ridge would be to build a mixed use facility with lofts/townhomes above businesses at the bottom. With enough housing it could support grocery stores, restaurants, other specialty shops. Would be a great place for students.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The main roads in Lynchburg also weren’t designed very well at all.
You believe in intelligent design? I'm thinking Lynchburg streets and roads had more of a big bang start and have been devolving ever since.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This. That access road along Wards pretty much sabotages everything on that side from the old Bob Evans down to the Hilton Garden Inn where the exit off 460 lands. Id tear that out and create proper business ingress and egress along that area
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]