This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
Yacht Rock wrote:Rumors around town state that Steak N Shake at River Ridge now has a "Taco Bell Coming Soon" sign up. I haven't been around that side of town today so I can't independently confirm.
Market at Main is also opening a location in the '03. Glad to see good businesses expand here.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Dickey's isnt great bbq but it is decent for a chain.

With that said, I remember when that location opened and it was always awful. I can't imagine it improved over the years. The location is also kind of challenging as well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Wonder how Dr. Wheeler feels about this news Jon?
By Jonathan Carone
Yacht Rock wrote:It seemed busy until they changed their menu recently. That and it’s a bad location to get in and out of on Wards.
The one that just opened near me had a really simplified menu. I liked it a lot more than the old one they had.

My guess is that location has more to do with the closing than the business itself.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's the third restaurant I've heard of closing on that side of Wards since i left Lynchburg...
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:That's the third restaurant I've heard of closing on that side of Wards since i left Lynchburg...
Sonic and Bob Evans?

The Sonic is the best carwash in Lynchburg and everyone knows it.

The Bob Evans is becoming a jewelry store.

Something will replace that Dickey's in no time, but I wouldn't hold my breath for another restaurant.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:That's the third restaurant I've heard of closing on that side of Wards since i left Lynchburg...
Sonic and Bob Evans?

The Sonic is the best carwash in Lynchburg and everyone knows it.

The Bob Evans is becoming a jewelry store.

Something will replace that Dickey's in no time, but I wouldn't hold my breath for another restaurant.
Building has already been sold and will be having a new tenant.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:In other news, Dickey's is closing.
I married a Texan, so she called and asked me to bring her a Dickey's brisket dinner tonight before they closed the doors for good.
By Jonathan Carone
rogers3 wrote:Building has already been sold and will be having a new tenant.
Makes total sense then. I wonder why the Dickey's franchisee didn't find another location. Might not have been worth the hassle.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Makes total sense then. I wonder why the Dickey's franchisee didn't find another location. Might not have been worth the hassle.
It is my understanding that this location has had two owner/managers. It closed already, but re-opened soon afterwards.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
It is my understanding that this location has had two owner/managers. It closed already, but re-opened soon afterwards.
Yeah, the franchise has been for sale as a turnkey for awhile and it wasn’t cheap. I haven’t looked at what’s replacing.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
"Most of us will try to get unemployment, and then the rest of us just find another job," Manager Mariah Trent said.

Sounds like the staff was top-notch, at least.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dickeys is easily the poorest BBQ chain to ever come out of Texas. Then again, it is based in Dallas so is it really Texan?

So if the restaurants along Wards Road are not sustainable, is this an indication that on-campus students are more satisfied with their options there and it is nothing but commuter students dining along that congested corridor?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Dickeys is easily the poorest BBQ chain to ever come out of Texas. Then again, it is based in Dallas so is it really Texan?

So if the restaurants along Wards Road are not sustainable, is this an indication that on-campus students are more satisfied with their options there and it is nothing but commuter students dining along that congested corridor?
I don't think any of the restaurants on Wards are sustained purely by foot traffic from the school. They rely on resident and commuter students, employees, and other locals. The Dickey's location in particular, wasn't in a great location. I think Bob Evans suffered from that as well. I know several folks around the area that stopped going once they changed their menu as well. There is a hotel being built right there so it's possible that this area of Wards Road will be more sustainable in the future but from my observations, it would be tough right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Dickeys is easily the poorest BBQ chain to ever come out of Texas. Then again, it is based in Dallas so is it really Texan?

I don't think any of the restaurants on Wards are sustained purely by foot traffic from the school. They rely on resident and commuter students, employees, and other locals. The Dickey's location in particular, wasn't in a great location. I think Bob Evans suffered from that as well. I know several folks around the area that stopped going once they changed their menu as well. There is a hotel being built right there so it's possible that this area of Wards Road will be more sustainable in the future but from my observations, it would be tough right now.
I agree it’s an absolutely horrible location. Try turning left out of that exit. Putting a new hotel there will give it some built in customers but not sure it makes it any easier for locals
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I'm more thinking that at some point, depending on how things go with the hotel and if the RV place across the street was ever replaced with a high volume business, another light might go in there or something. Which would drive ballcoach crazy. :)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In other local restaurant news, Market at Main is opening another restaurant in Boonsboro where Phila-Deli used to be.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I tried to hit up Dickey's one final time after practice tonight, but at 7:03 p.m., they were already CLOSED. Crybaby
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]