This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
The Burger King on Timberlake took a beating, but it fared better than the Med Express Clinic next to Starbucks.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:The Burger King on Timberlake took a beating, but it fared better than the Med Express Clinic next to Starbucks.
Waterlick Garage behind those was pretty much destroyed. Floor show carpet store down Timberlake also very badly damaged. Friends' house near Waterlick- Timberlake intersection also badly damaged. Boonsboro area also hit pretty hard.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Just down the road from my old apartment on Waterlick. Crazy stuff.

Doesn't sound like anybody was hurt. Thankful for that.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Greensboro got hit pretty hard. Several schools had serious damage. No issues down my way, but they did cancel schools today.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I live right by there (Waterlick/Timberlake). The rain & wind got pretty intense for a bit (think hurricane), but we didn't know a tornado had happened until the reports on the news. Timberlake was closed to traffic this morning, and a lot of people are without power.

I can't imagine what it was like to be in the Joe Beans trailer right across from The Floor Show.
By LUAlum1215
I was caught driving home when it came through. I thought I was gonna end up on my lid from the wind. Went to see the damage today and the path of trees/shrapnel ends about 1/4 mile from my house.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Gary and Leecy Fink lost everything in Elon, but their 5 kids are safe. Gary is a Lynchburg policeman, and both of his parents taught at LU before they retired. Leecy a breast cancer survivor, and her oldest daughter goes to LU. The family used to attend my church, and I've known them for 20 years.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/lync ... in-tornado
By CCWMichael
The reason I moved from Oklahoma in 99 was a F5.
These things are destructive rather quickly.
I can feel the pain of those involved with this event.
Prayers going out on my end.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Update on the Finks: they moved into a 6-bedroom apartment.
We moved into a furnished apartment tonight after they laid carpet and furnished a new place for us in less than 5 hours! Did i mention they cut a door between two apartments to accommodate our large family!!??? Our newly furnished 6 bedroom, two kitchen, 4 bath apt is better than perfect!!! Our church family, old friends, new friends, family and so many volunteers helped go through layer by layer of debris. They found my wedding rings! They found my purse, our safe w important papers, Garys guns, and so many other things. The ladies from our church took clothes that were salvageable to their homes to wash for us. The second shift showed up to clean our apartment, make our beds, feed us dinner and get us settled for the night.
https://www.facebook.com/leecyfink
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I don't know the Finks but I know there are a lot of families in need of help right now and it looks like that particular family has been provided with a lot of support (almost $60,000 raised via GoFundMe already).

If you're interested in helping the other families impacted by this storm, this is a good link. It looks like most of them haven't gotten anywhere near the support the Fink family has.

http://wset.com/news/local/families-dea ... -hits-elon
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I don't know the Finks but I know there are a lot of families in need of help right now and it looks like that particular family has been provided with a lot of support (almost $60,000 raised via GoFundMe already).

If you're interested in helping the other families impacted by this storm, this is a good link. It looks like most of them haven't gotten anywhere near the support the Fink family has.

Yeah, I've noticed this. Unless you're the first/most popular one in need, you're gonna have a hard time.
Also, not sure why one family would need $60k right now. Not trying to be insensitive.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:I don't know the Finks but I know there are a lot of families in need of help right now and it looks like that particular family has been provided with a lot of support (almost $60,000 raised via GoFundMe already).

Yeah, I've noticed this. Unless you're the first/most popular one in need, you're gonna have a hard time.
Also, not sure why one family would need $60k right now. Not trying to be insensitive.
If you read the post at CJ's link you would see that the Fink's are asking people to give to the other families affected by the storm and giving instructions on how to do that.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Parents house just a hop, skip, and a jump from Timberlake. Lots of wind damage on parts of Old Graves Mill Rd., and they live off of that road, so we got VERY lucky.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
My wife works over in Boonsboro, and she said it's pretty disastrous over there. Weird how you don't hear anyone talking about that area.
All those old trees are just a constant hazard and worry for those homeowners.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:My wife works over in Boonsboro, and she said it's pretty disastrous over there. Weird how you don't hear anyone talking about that area.
I saw an arial shot of the Boonsboro area the other day and it was crazy to see the path of downed trees literally making a beeline towards the river.

I know where I live in Forest, we have about 50 tall trees on my half acre. We'd be in tough shape if those trees started to come down unexpectedly.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I rode down Timberlake Road yesterday to access damage to Burger King. Looks as if I will have to go to Campbell Avenue or Forest this weekend.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:My wife works over in Boonsboro, and she said it's pretty disastrous over there. Weird how you don't hear anyone talking about that area.
I saw an arial shot of the Boonsboro area the other day and it was crazy to see the path of downed trees literally making a beeline towards the river.

I know where I live in Forest, we have about 50 tall trees on my half acre. We'd be in tough shape if those trees started to come down unexpectedly.
Do you know where that aerial shot was? My daughter lives off VES and I've been trying to find a picture that shows the area. She lost several large trees in the backyard but fortunately no damage to her little house. The streets behind and beside her are about the only ones still closed in Lynchburg. And still no power til probably tomorrow.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: Do you know where that aerial shot was? My daughter lives off VES and I've been trying to find a picture that shows the area. She lost several large trees in the backyard but fortunately no damage to her little house. The streets behind and beside her are about the only ones still closed in Lynchburg. And still no power til probably tomorrow.
I'll see if I can find it and post a link.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]