This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts

I'll just leave this quote from organizer Shane Claiborne right here:
Religion News Service wrote:Although the event is being held near Liberty University, Claiborne said: “We’re not there to vilify Jerry Falwell (Jr.), we’re there to lift up Jesus — and that itself is the critique of toxic evangelicalism.” Still, Claiborne acknowledged the impetus for the event is partly rooted in criticism of Liberty — including by Liberty students and alumni frustrated by the perception that the school inherently supports the president, its commencement speaker last May.
Click Here for Full Story

I'm not quite sure which of the red letters details Jesus explaining that name-calling was the best way to garner unity of believers.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hope nobody shows up for this circus. For President, we had 2 choices, Trump or Hillary Clinton. Everyone should commend Jerry Jr. For getting on the Trump Train. Hillary is anti Christian, and anti everything but gay rights, abortions, illegal immigrants and terrorists.

As for this so called revival, I have my doubts as to whether the organizers are even Christians. Sounds as if they may just be Trump haters.
Sly Fox wrote:Image

I'll just leave this quote from organizer Shane Claiborne right here:
Religion News Service wrote:Although the event is being held near Liberty University, Claiborne said: “We’re not there to vilify Jerry Falwell (Jr.), we’re there to lift up Jesus — and that itself is the critique of toxic evangelicalism.” Still, Claiborne acknowledged the impetus for the event is partly rooted in criticism of Liberty — including by Liberty students and alumni frustrated by the perception that the school inherently supports the president, its commencement speaker last May.
Click Here for Full Story

I'm not quite sure which of the red letters details Jesus explaining that name-calling was the best way to garner unity of believers.
Not that this is something I like to see but Jerry Jr and the LUPD banned him from going to even TRBC. Neither behavior is a good look.

It would of been nice for someone to stand up and be the bigger person. Instead it just drives a larger divide and does nothing to advance the gospel.
ballcoach15 wrote:Those Red Letter people are liberals, not Christians. They are not here to advance the gospel, they are here to stir up trouble,
Your first sentence is truly ignorant. Your second sentence is spot on
ballcoach15 wrote:Those Red Letter people are liberals, not Christians. They are not here to advance the gospel, they are here to stir up trouble,
Come on man that first part is completely uncalled for.

I don't disagree with the 2nd part but let's not pretend Jerry Jr and others conservative Christians don't do the same thing. It is not at all how we should be acting as Christians but LU had a chance to take the high road and screwed up and since I'm associated with LU I an naturally more critical of them.
rogers3 wrote:Plenty to be critical of in the official response by Liberty. This forum, being heavily populated by so many zealots is not a good place to debate it.
That’s sorta the crux of the issue. As controversial as Doc was he still could have conversations with people. Nowadays neither side wants to have a conversation. They want to score points and make statements
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Plenty to be critical of in the official response by Liberty. This forum, being heavily populated by so many zealots is not a good place to debate it.
Seriously? I don’t see that many zealots on here.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
Seriously? I don’t see that many zealots on here.
It doesn't take many bad apples to ruin the bunch and there are more than a few lock-step not-free thinkers.
I'll chime in.

So, let's say Jr wanted to do the sit-down. He gets smacked around theologically and they sneak it on film. Maybe Nasser or Jonathan could go in his stead. I think the only thing you CAN do is create a joint list of fundenental agreements and approaches to the problem. This is assuming all parties are genuine and don't want to double cross the meeting. If the LU representative and Shane have a joint presser saying that beyond politics on either side they agree on some things and can work together toward even a single project, both sides can use it to their advantage and to further the Kingdom by showing that faith comes before politics.

Just my $.02. I'm still not convinced all parties had clear motives and I can understand the administrations apprehensiveness to attach our brand to RLC in any way.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I'll chime in.

So, let's say Jr wanted to do the sit-down. He gets smacked around theologically and they sneak it on film. Maybe Nasser or Jonathan could go in his stead. I think the only thing you CAN do is create a joint list of fundenental agreements and approaches to the problem. This is assuming all parties are genuine and don't want to double cross the meeting. If the LU representative and Shane have a joint presser saying that beyond politics on either side they agree on some things and can work together toward even a single project, both sides can use it to their advantage and to further the Kingdom by showing that faith comes before politics.

Just my $.02. I'm still not convinced all parties had clear motives and I can understand the administrations apprehensiveness to attach our brand to RLC in any way.
One question- where does "Furthering the Kingdom" really rank as a priority? Maybe not as high as you think. If that is the case, it better explains the objections and dismissive comments towards these folks.
rogers3 wrote:

One question- where does "Furthering the Kingdom" really rank as a priority? Maybe not as high as you think. If that is the case, it better explains the objections and dismissive comments towards these folks.
Shh we can agree on this. Don't let them see it.
rogers3 wrote:

You are under the impression that the RLC wanted to ‘further the Kingdom’ with this rally ? It was more a stunt than anything.
I will say there seems to be cross purposes within the Organization. The Keynote addresses by Claiborne and Campolo were VERY different. Also, Campolo was on Campus property delivering a box of prayers to Jerry Jr (although they may have gone to Jonathon instead) yet he was not arrested.
There is more here than dueling Press releases
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]