This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Matthew Russell is one of our Honors Program students. Study
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wish I could have gotten in touch with him while he was down here. or bumped into him at JSC. I am curious who the Christian former Astronaut was that spoke. I have some guesses.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly, you will also be interested to know that Matthew was homechooled in Kentucky, and his little sister is joining our Honors Program next fall semester.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Not surprised at all. Homeschooling encourages kids to think bigger since they are limited by cattle mindset. NASA is full of homeschoolers.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
One of my favorite Quiz Bowl stories is NASA related.

In 2014, Longwood was hosting the Big South Quiz Bowl Tournament and asked LU if we could bring our experienced moderator to run the stats for the tournament. When I told their tournament director that our statistician had graduated and was interning at NASA, I was told that this was a paid position and would even cover her hotel and transportation for the weekend.

So our statistician agreed to come, and that Friday night she overheard a Coastal Carolina girl bragging that she couldn't wait to play us because "Liberty wasn't a real school" and "certainly wouldn't know anything about science."

At breakfast the next morning, our NASA-interning alumna shared that story with our team, which really angered our female captain who was majoring biochemistry. Well, when we played them later that morning, Liberty beat Coastal 445-65.

A few weeks later, that same team finished 20th in the country at nationals, and our MVP later became a 4-time Jeopardy champion. And the statistician who was interning at NASA? That turned into a full-time job, and she has been working at NASA ever since.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Not surprised at all. Homeschooling encourages kids to think bigger since they are limited by cattle mindset. NASA is full of homeschoolers.
I don't disagree with that but I woild argue homeschool kids are successful academically because their parents are actually involved. If you remain involved in your child's education the results will be positive. Too many parents believe, whether they realize it or not, it is solely the schools responsibility.

Ok I'll step off my soap box now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Not surprised at all. Homeschooling encourages kids to think bigger since they are limited by cattle mindset. NASA is full of homeschoolers.
I don't disagree with that but I woild argue homeschool kids are successful academically because their parents are actually involved. If you remain involved in your child's education the results will be positive. Too many parents believe, whether they realize it or not, it is solely the schools responsibility.

Ok I'll step off my soap box now.
It’s a good soap box
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]