This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... f18df.html
The process of replacing the existing McWane Hall with the new residence hall will start next summer, which is also when the new title of “University of Lynchburg” will be going into effect.
I like seeing LC grow into UofL. I'm really impressed that they're going out of their way for 26 Honors College students.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU has 740 Honors Program students, including over 200 National Merit students (Finalists, Semifinalists, and Commended).
Cider Jim wrote:LU has 740 Honors Program students, including over 200 National Merit students (Finalists, Semifinalists, and Commended).
Well we expect that out of their fearless leader.

For some reason my expectations of LC are lower.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I tried to get LC to play us in Quiz Bowl, but they want no part of that. :nonono
Honors College students already had their own small hall on one floor of one of the dorms on the other side of campus. What they had was nothing special, it was just standard dorm rooms. I don't even think they had their own communal spaces of any sort other than bathroom facilities. So this is a pretty big upgrade for them.

It's odd though that they are deciding to tear down McWane. They put in a ton of money into upgrading numerous aspects of that dorm just within the last couple years. Seems like fairly tick poor planning to do that then just tear it down.

However, I'm doubting it will be ready in time unless they are getting a different construction company and contractors since literally every other major construction project they have undertaken in the last 20ish years has several finished months late.

Going to suck big time to be residents in Freer and Shackleford next year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, Honors Program students are the top-tier academic students in college, based on SAT/ACT/GPA, and they have special Honors coursework they take, including a senior thesis they write. Other benefits often include Honors housing, Honors scholarships, funding for research projects, and sometimes their own computer labs and student lounges, etc.

At LU, they are the top 5% of the students; at LC, they are the top 10%. In comparison, LU has more Honors Program students (740) and varsity athletes (550), and about 20 student-athletes who are both!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For those applying to top-tier grad schools, their Honors thesis is their ticket in: LU's Honors Program alumni have been accepted into 7 of the 8 Ivy League grad schools, compared to LC who has only gotten into one.
Purple Haize wrote:How exactly is writing a Thesis considered a ‘Benefit’? You people are sick!!!
I specifically chose a major that didn't require one. Went into a program that instead had a senior project. Grad school program also didn't have a thesis, instead a semester-long project with CASA of Virginia. Sure, a paper was included with both, but it a a minor part of the grade and was nowhere near thesis type length. Seems much more beneficial to get something resembling real-world experience instead of writing a gigantic paper. Thesis seems like a waste of time unless you are going into a graduate program or a professional field that is research based.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on November 7th, 2017, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I've said it a million times. My real world experience in the human resources field has shown me that academic performance is very rarely connected to job performance. I'm not saying there are zero connections but if I had a dollar for every person who was a strong student but an below average performer in the workforce, I'd be able to retire.

I look forward to a paradigm shift in the future in how academic performance and talent is measured so that it can better reflect the world students will be entering.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU's Honors Program has a Creative Thesis Project option for certain majors like COMS, Theatre Arts, and English. Instead of a research-type thesis, they can, for example, create a magazine and write both the copy and create the images, or they can write a play or a short novel. These types of creative projects are geared more to impress prospective employers rather than grad schools.

Lynchburgwildcats, wouldn't your LC Honors students like to play LU in a friendly game of Quiz Bowl? If you don't want to play our varsity, our JV or novice team could probably give you a good game.
Cider Jim wrote:Lynchburgwildcats, wouldn't your LC Honors students like to play LU in a friendly game of Quiz Bowl? If you don't want to play our varsity, our JV or novice team could probably give you a good game.
Are you sure LC even has a quiz bowl team? Only evidence I can find anywhere on the internet of a LC quiz bowl team is an athletic training quiz bowl team http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?P ... MID=180459
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Are you sure LC even has a quiz bowl team?
Lynchburgwildcats, LC may not have a formal team, but I'm just saying find 4 of your smartest Honors Program students and come on over and play us. Study
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Are you sure LC even has a quiz bowl team?
Lynchburgwildcats, LC may not have a formal team, but I'm just saying find 4 of your smartest Honors Program students and come on over and play us. Study
Throwing down the gauntlet, in no uncertain terms!
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]