This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I see the N&A have raised their Single Copy price from $1.00 to 1.50. I have never seen price of a newspaper go up .50 at once.

Hopefully their Sports coverage will increase to make the extra .50 worthwhile.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LOL. Soon, hard copy newspapers will be a thing of the past. :D Can't imagine people paying that much money for a liberal rag. I quit taking newspapers 20+ years ago, don't support people/companies who hate deplorables. Besides 90% is fake news.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Is the News & Advance still FREE online?
Wasn't even worth a dollar regardless of which side of the political spectrum they were on. Seemingly 90% of the sports stuff was just copy and paste AP stories or "staff reports" AKA the school SIDs.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Is the News & Advance still FREE online?
You get 20 free views each month, BUT if you view it in private mode - you can view all you want;)

$1.50 is insane...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Also I hear the Roanoke Times is closing printing plane in Roanoke and moving their printing operation to Lynchburg. Other Danville paper did this a couple years ago. The RT is the best sports paper in the state, maybe the nation. Hopefully some of this will bleed off on the News and Advance. I am still old fashion. I read Danville, Lynchburg, Richmond and USA Today paper every day. Read Roanoke and Washington Post 2 or 3 days a week. Plus the Anniston, Alabama paper online.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: I read Danville, Lynchburg, Richmond and USA Today paper every day. Read Roanoke and Washington Post 2 or 3 days a week.
Ballcoach, how much are you spending weekly on your newspaper reading?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
That's $144 a month. In the old days, that was almost a car payment! :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Probably average 36.00. Favorite time of day is coffee and newspapers at McDonalds early in morning.
I thought you were a BK guy :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:My town is not fortunate enough to have a BK.
You could hop over to Chatham for a Hardee's biscuit. Far superior to anything McD's has. With the possible exception of the sausage mcmuffin with egg
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
You get 20 free views each month, BUT if you view it in private mode - you can view all you want;)

$1.50 is insane...
Come on Proto... Don't clue the N&A in on the secret!
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
prototype wrote:

$1.50 is insane...
Come on Proto... Don't clue the N&A in on the secret!
There will always be ways to get around that type of subscription model. If they get wise and base it by IP instead of browser cookies, just use free VPNs. Free VPNs are slow but would be more than sufficient for loading a website article.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think newspapers shot themselves, when they started their online stuff, (unless they make $$$$$$ with their online ads.)

I rather read a newspaper than read a computer screen. .
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
it cost me 250 dollars to have a wagon wheel respoked. RIDICULOUS!!!
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
:lol: Yes it's true. Although they only print stories about pipelines these days
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There are letrally thousands and thousands of miles of pipeline under Greater Houston. They are one of the big reasons the Houston economy is booming. But everyone wants vital instructure in somebody's else's backyard.

Are you implying that the folks in Nelson County have gotten so progressive they now read newspapers? My last experience there I tried to fight a speeding ticket at the county courthouse and the judge was barefoot wwearing bib overalls in the courtroom. Suffice it to say that my suit & tie that day didn't help my case.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:There are letrally thousands and thousands of miles of pipeline under Greater Houston. They are one of the big reasons the Houston economy is booming. But everyone wants vital instructure in somebody's else's backyard.

Are you implying that the folks in Nelson County have gotten so progressive they now read newspapers? My last experience there I tried to fight a speeding ticket at the county courthouse and the judge was barefoot wwearing bib overalls in the courtroom. Suffice it to say that my suit & tie that day didn't help my case.
It's is a vocal Anti Pipeline area. Can't go 1/4 mile without some No Pipeline sign up there.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Are you implying that the folks in Nelson County have gotten so progressive they now read newspapers? My last experience there I tried to fight a speeding ticket at the county courthouse and the judge was barefoot wwearing bib overalls in the courtroom. Suffice it to say that my suit & tie that day didn't help my case.
Did the judge start with, "Boy, you're not from around here, are you?" My great, great, great, great grandfather on my Mom's side, James Loving, donated the land in 1809 for the Nelson County Courthouse, and they named the town after him, and I was even named after him. You should have told the judge that Cider Jim was a friend of yours.
:oldhag
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Nelson County now has a bunch of hippies living there.

The Roanoke Times has had a story about pipelines on the front page 3 times already this week. I guess they know their demographic well... then again, the only people I know who actually read the thing anymore are all the "Keep Raleigh Court Weird" types.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]