This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The anti-pipeline crowd always has confused me. They say they want to protect the environment but their actions put the environment at greater risk by sending petrochemical products on trucks and trains where the exposure is much greater than underground.

CJ - The judge and country prosecutor literally laughed at me when I stood as my name was called and they saw me in my standard LU uniform of the day. Suffice it to say my drive up there was not a good use of my time. If I had known all of the dynamics with your family history, I could have certainly used it that day. Now you have me curious if we might be distant cousins. My mom's family made the move through West Virginia to Ohio from Nelson, Albemarle, Buckingham and Rockbridge Counties after land grants from the Revolutionary War. I'm not sure that would have impressed the judge in my suit and power tie.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:The anti-pipeline crowd always has confused me. They say they want to protect the environment
Most of these fall into the "not in our back yard you don't!" crowd.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Once again, in places like Nelson County it already is in their backyard ... or least careening through their streets and down the tracks. I totally get not wanting it on their property. But most of these plans follow pre-existing right-of-ways or cross government land. Oh well, Nelson County.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Those against pipeline should have power company disconnect their electric service. Natural gas makes electricity. Also they should surrender their car tags to DMV, and sell their vehicles. If they do not like energy, do not use any.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Once again, in places like Nelson County it already is in their backyard ... or least careening through their streets and down the tracks. I totally get not wanting it on their property. But most of these plans follow pre-existing right-of-ways or cross government land. Oh well, Nelson County.
The biggest complaints I have seen are about how it will destroy the views and pollute the streams. There are I think 15 ridge-top crossings that will be forever ruined by the pipeline according to them. Tom Periello, Democrat running for Governor, is against it and says it is a waste of money because natural gas is antiquated and we need to invest in future technologies (ie. solar and wind power). Coincidentally he has been funded in large part by the Soros machine. They are nutcases for the most part.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly, when you were at the Nelson County Courthouse, did you feel like you were in the middle of a Hee Haw skit? :lol:
By cruzan_flame13
The issue with solar and wind energy is that one day you'll have a lot of energy to use so you'll have to waste it and another day when there's not much energy where it is vastly limited. Countries whose main source are solar and/or wind have this main issue like Spain or Germany(the main country in the EU). This are issues where the left, who calls themselves liberals, doesn't want us to understand. That project will be a waste of money in the long run and will be unfortunate for the liitle guy who's not rich (like these politicians). These politicians can always talk about the opposing agenda will waste money and cause climate change(term they use although it's still the global warming agenda), but they don't even practice what they preach. They tell us its good for the earth and humanity, while they fly all around in their private jets and waste energy in their many mansions *cough Al Gore cough*. I hope Virginians, excluding many in northern Virginia, will have common sense and not vote for these charlatans. I would think we would learn from Tim Kaine and his attempt to raise taxes of billions of dollars (I believe it was 3 or 4 billion) as soon as he stept into the governorship.
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on June 9th, 2017, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Sly, when you were at the Nelson County Courthouse, did you feel like you were in the middle of a Hee Haw skit? :lol:
No, that would have been a bit high brow for that kangaroo court.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm a huge proponent of developing alternative energy sources, because "if the Lord Tarries" we will need them in the future. As the technology grows, they will come up with work-arounds for the issues that currently make solar and wind impractical in some cases. Meanwhile, we should be using a resource like natural gas as efficiently as possible.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for News & Advance price increase, the paper seems to have less in it than before the increase. It feels much smaller also.

Not to mention the "fake news":

this morning it said: "Liberty Third Baseman Makes All American Team"
D.J. Artis plays outfield.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed...especially for the staff writers. I mean I was a freelancer but Id need to be putting out about as many stories as a staff writer per week to be able to live off freelancing
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Do staff writers still exist? The front page of the Houston Chronicle is almost always completely written by freelancers ... most of whom once had a job with the paper. Not sure if that is the case everywhere since I don't know many folks who still read a paper except through hyperlinks.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:LOL. Soon, hard copy newspapers will be a thing of the past. :D Can't imagine people paying that much money for a liberal rag. I quit taking newspapers 20+ years ago, don't support people/companies who hate deplorables. Besides 90% is fake news.
Lord, you sound like an old man! :wink: :mrgreen:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have noticed that the N&A seems to get smaller each day, especially sports section. I can remember when sports section seemed as big as entire paper is now.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, I read mine this morning, too, over coffee. :oldhag Good article about the LU football team.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read entire sports section at McDonald's, in between 2 sips of coffee, or maybe it was 3.

One problem with papers now is, Lynchburg, Danville, Richmond and Roanoke are all owned by same company. Articles I read in one paper today, will be in another paper tomorrow.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
It's not going to get any better. No sense in pining for the past when it comes to newspapers. The print product will continue to get smaller. The emphasis on social media and digital will continue to grow. The only reason the N&A is in better shape than most in the BH chain is because Terry Jamerson fought to have that state-of-the-art press built in Lynchburg back in the mid 2000s.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe the Roanoke Times is now actually printed in Lynchburg, or will be soon. I know Danville Register & Bee is .

I am "old fashioned" . I rather have a hard copy of the paper by 0530 in the morning that the internet stuff.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]