This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I couldn't find a topic on this anywhere else....so, here it is.

Is anyone intending to go on Saturday? My sister is graduating with her Master's but I won't be there unfortunately.

Does anyone know how many are expected over the weekend? My guess would be around 40k but wouldn't be surprised if it's more.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
The students I've talked to said they are staying far away from the Wards Rd. corridor on graduation day, but I'm sure there are enough people who want to go that it will fill up. Probably right, about 40K. I heard it's non-ticketed event this year so I'm sure that will help fill the stands.

We're hosting our Adoption Fundraiser Yardsale down the road in Forest on that day!

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
VDOT should disable every traffic light on Wards Road. That will help traffic. Otherwise it will be a mess.
By Class of 20Something
Yacht Rock wrote:The students I've talked to said they are staying far away from the Wards Rd. corridor on graduation day, but I'm sure there are enough people who want to go that it will fill up. Probably right, about 40K. I heard it's non-ticketed event this year so I'm sure that will help fill the stands.

We're hosting our Adoption Fundraiser Yardsale down the road in Forest on that day!

WSET reported seats for 36k. I think 40k will be reached easy.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:VDOT should disable every traffic light on Wards Road. That will help traffic. Otherwise it will be a mess.
:dontgetit
By Class of 20Something
flamehunter wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:VDOT should disable every traffic light on Wards Road. That will help traffic. Otherwise it will be a mess.
:dontgetit
VSP Should be on scene directing traffic. LU started using them for post game traffic last year and it helped tremendously. I am excited to see how the proposed roundabouts on campus, extra bridge, parking garages and fast access to 29S help relieve campus and gameday traffic in the future.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Very clever, Yacht Rock. Hopefully some folks in town for graduation can come be a part of your festivities as well.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
With POTUS in town expect road closures to make it even more challenging. I'd get there early if you guys are planning on going.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:With POTUS in town expect road closures to make it even more challenging. I'd get there early if you guys are planning on going.
My parents are coming in from IN but NOT for graduation. I'm worried about wait times at restaurants Friday night. Saturday will be a grill out evening becomes I'm not even going to attempt to deal with it
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'll be there. We are planning an early breakfast at CB as soon as they open. We're going to park first and then walk to the restaurant, like the old Frogger video game.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Very clever, Yacht Rock. Hopefully some folks in town for graduation can come be a part of your festivities as well.
Thanks! It just happened to be like our only free weekend before everyone takes off for the summer, so we're trying to take advantage of it!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I will eat at Burger King on Campbell Avenue.
My prayers for a speedy recovery.
I think the damage is permanent
By Class of 20Something
ATrain wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I will eat at Burger King on Campbell Avenue.
My prayers for a speedy recovery.
I think the damage is permanent
Setting an alarm for Sunday afternoon to check on ballcoach.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I've never heard of "Commencement" and "free weekend" used in the same sentence. :dontgetit
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
You have said this again and again. Please explain how this helps?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
You have said this again and again. Please explain how this helps?
He's actually correct. It would help with egress from LU Have a dedicated exit are that spills on to Wards and straight to 460. You could clear that place out in 30 minutes. They do it in Morgantown and a couple of the concert venues I've been to
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:They do it in Morgantown
Morgantown's country roads have STOP LIGHTS? :rofl
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Well, its easier for them than actually reading a sign...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Both of them work just fine
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have a little experience in Traffic Control. In Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia back in 1990-91, my Military police Platoon was responsible for 75 miles of the MSR during the westward move of two Army Corps. Wards Road traffic is nothing compared to those military convoys, We were instructed to keep traffic flowing, and convoys would not stop for any reason.
Same principle should apply for Wards Road.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have a little experience in Traffic Control. In Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia back in 1990-91, my Military police Platoon was responsible for 75 miles of the MSR during the westward move of two Army Corps. Wards Road traffic is nothing compared to those military convoys, We were instructed to keep traffic flowing, and convoys would not stop for any reason.
Same principle should apply for Wards Road.
Not even close to the same. You didn't have angry shoppers to deal with. You also had a lot more open space to deal with and fewer stop lights and turn offs to local businesses
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]