This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I feel like if there were a Burger King or Country Cookin' in that area of Wards Rd, your tune might change.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:But we had angry Arabs and Third World nationalists, also attempting to use MSR.
And heavy weapons and air support to deal with them
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:But we had angry Arabs and Third World nationalists, also attempting to use MSR.
And heavy weapons and air support to deal with them
So you're saying we can't just lob a few grenades at people trying to get out of Wal-Mart? Come on man! Think outside the box!
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I have a little experience in Traffic Control. In Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia back in 1990-91, my Military police Platoon was responsible for 75 miles of the MSR during the westward move of two Army Corps. Wards Road traffic is nothing compared to those military convoys, We were instructed to keep traffic flowing, and convoys would not stop for any reason.
Same principle should apply for Wards Road.
Not even close to the same. You didn't have angry shoppers to deal with. You also had a lot more open space to deal with and fewer stop lights and turn offs to local businesses
It actually is the same idea. When commencement releases the flood of people, we are talking an influx of 20k vehicles onto Wards and 460. That dwarfs local traffic by several orders of magnitude. It's a bit like ripping off a bandaid. If you can expedite the dissemination off of campus by inconveniencing the locals for 15-20 minutes, it's over after that. Normal operations resume. Would you rather 2 hours of backed up traffic because of everyone running every ill-timed traffic signal trying to get somewhere or 20 minutes of open flood gates?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
It won't be for 15-20 minutes though. With all of the separate ceremonies there will be different times with gluts of traffic. Last year I remember getting into a mile long back-up on 460 east at about 3:30 pm.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If locals are smart, they will stay home, if they are not attending Commencement.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I have a little experience in Traffic Control. In Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia back in 1990-91, my Military police Platoon was responsible for 75 miles of the MSR during the westward move of two Army Corps. Wards Road traffic is nothing compared to those military convoys, We were instructed to keep traffic flowing, and convoys would not stop for any reason.
Same principle should apply for Wards Road.
Not even close to the same. You didn't have angry shoppers to deal with. You also had a lot more open space to deal with and fewer stop lights and turn offs to local businesses
It actually is the same idea. When commencement releases the flood of people, we are talking an influx of 20k vehicles onto Wards and 460. That dwarfs local traffic by several orders of magnitude. It's a bit like ripping off a bandaid. If you can expedite the dissemination off of campus by inconveniencing the locals for 15-20 minutes, it's over after that. Normal operations resume. Would you rather 2 hours of backed up traffic because of everyone running every ill-timed traffic signal trying to get somewhere or 20 minutes of open flood gates?
I agreed with the earlier idea of getting VSP involved and shutting down lanes. But to compare to the MSR is ridiculous.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Our orders for MSR was: Convoys will not stop.
For 460 & Wards Road, orders should be: traffic will not stop.
When traffic stops, backups/congestion occurs.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So we are comparing a military convoy with Lynchburg driving patterns? Sure. Makes perfect sense...
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Anybody know how trump will be arriving? I'd like to watching whatever he's bringing, fly in. I imagine marine might land right on campus, yes? Im not sure if a helicopter ride that far is normal though.

That stuff may be a secret though
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I was told AF One will land at Lynchburg Airport, but my source is not Official.
They did lengthen LYH's runway after Bush 43 flew into ROA for the D-Day memorial dedication to accommodate Air Force One (and other larger planes). So it wouldn't surprise me at all if AF One lands at LYH.

Side note: the 747 with the Presidential Seal and United States of America written on the side looks AMAZING!!!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Wouldn't they then have to fly down the beast in a cargo plane for the 5 minute ride to campus? Seems like a waste of money but maybe thats how it has to be done.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Anybody know how trump will be arriving? I'd like to watching whatever he's bringing, fly in. I imagine marine might land right on campus, yes? Im not sure if a helicopter ride that far is normal though.

That stuff may be a secret though
Yeah. Presidential routes don't typically get released to the public. For obvious reasons.
LUconn wrote:Wouldn't they then have to fly down the beast in a cargo plane for the 5 minute ride to campus? Seems like a waste of money but maybe thats how it has to be done.
Yeah. That is how it is done. Try not to think about it too much. Haha
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So we are comparing a military convoy with Lynchburg driving patterns? Sure. Makes perfect sense...
I'm sure there will be some Vipers and Apache's in the Area. Add a couple of Warthogs and viola no traffic!!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I was on Wards Road a couple times today and just kind of laughed to myself about the "traffic".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I was on Wards Road a couple times today and just kind of laughed to myself about the "traffic".
Yeah. After D.C. Any other 'traffic' is laughable
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I was on Wards Road a couple times today and just kind of laughed to myself about the "traffic".
Yeah. After D.C. Any other 'traffic' is laughable
I know about that lol. Only folks in L.A. can say that they have it worst.
By Class of 20Something
badger74 wrote:Decent hotels are going in the $300-$400+ per night range
If you're local and not renting rooms on AirBNB you are missing out. Easy money.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure how I managed to get a hotel but it seemsto me people are already starting to make their way into town.

Out of curiosity are any protests actually planned or was that just empty rhetoric?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am sure some Snowflakes will be out, acting stupid, but I doubt if they will be on campus, in that it's private property.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There is a bunch of snowflakes planning a protest in front of Ruby Tuesday's at 9 a.m. Just saw it on Channel 13 facebook page. Hopefully they will get arrested.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]