This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:It is good to see it still doesn't take much to get people fired up.

The impeachment comment was a joke.
I took it as a joke.

Anytime any President can speak at your graduation it's a good thing. It's not an embarrassment to have the leader of the free world, whether you like them or not, come speak to your town.
You can debate his policies or character all you like. But to say that having the POTUS come to Lynchburg is a bad thing is deranged
Agreed. It's a big get.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:At the end of the day bringing in a politician will always bring criticism. I think it is cool that the school is bringing in the POTUS regardless of how I may feel about him personally.

The thing I have always had a problem with is Jerry's love affair with Trump and how he has attempted to paint him as someone that upholds Christian values when his entire adult life has proven otherwise.

Have fun, Lynchburg, with the security crap storm coming your way! :)
Yeah. Disagree with the Evangelicals who think Trump is the precursor to the Messiah but this is different
By cruzan_flame13
adam42381 wrote:Cruzan, someone could post a significantly lengthy list of all the lies President Trump has told, but I'm sure it would be written off as fake news. You're on the bandwagon, along with a large number of other folks. Facts no longer matter.

No I just like facts with actual evidence and not just sayings with no hardcore evidence. Yes we've seen a lot of lies from the media even before Trump's candidacy. Trump just had the balls to point it out although Rand Paul did the same. You say facts don't matter, yet you cannot produce one and point me to evidence of this fact. Saying something that is from a source which believes repeating a lie and hoping folks will believe it is not facts.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Cruzan, someone could post a significantly lengthy list of all the lies President Trump has told, but I'm sure it would be written off as fake news. You're on the bandwagon, along with a large number of other folks. Facts no longer matter.

No I just like facts with actual evidence and not just sayings with no hardcore evidence. Yes we've seen a lot of lies from the media even before Trump's candidacy. Trump just had the balls to point it out although Rand Paul did the same. You say facts don't matter, yet you cannot produce one and point me to evidence of this fact. Saying something that is from a source which believes repeating a lie and hoping folks will believe it is not facts.
Unfortunately, I don't have any Breitbart or InfoWars links. Sorry. I'm sure you won't believe any of the Politifact negative ratings, but here's a link:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities ... tatements/
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
politfact does lean left but they do a decent job for the most part. They don't lean as far left as Breitbart leans right that is for sure.

Infowars on the other hand doesn't even reside on this planet...
thepostman wrote:politfact does lean left but they do a decent job for the most part. They don't lean as far left as Breitbart leans right that is for sure.

Infowars on the other hand doesn't even reside on this planet...
The thing about infowars is all the crazy stuff keeps coming out. It is legitimizing their theories. I tend to use BBC and RT for US news because they aren't nearly as involved in shaping the minds of Americans. It's sad that the Truth has become taboo. Real Journalism has become hacking, leaks, and undercover work.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:If I remember correctly TH you never attended Liberty. You're not the one who has to face people outside the Liberty bubble who looks at Liberty in a negative way. People who are associated with Liberty has to answer and defend Liberty in areas such as job interviews. This past year we all have been linked with Trump.

It's easy for Trump supporters with no ties to Liberty to say shut up we're lucky to have the POTUS speaking when they don't have to encounter the problems that the alumni and students constantly face.

I wonder if Jerry has a back up plan when it comes out about Russia and Trump :D
So - you voted for Trump;)

We get it...you hate Trump... But get off TH. He is welcome here and every bit a part of the Liberty family. I went to Liberty, own a business in Lynchburg, am a PROUD alum and face many people outside "the Liberty Bubble" everyday. Defend Liberty? Really? Hurting job status. Give me a break.... If you are getting into political arguments and defending where you went to school - then that's probably not a great employment option. Maybe sounding like a left-wing nut job - is hurting your hiring status too? Having an active President of the United States as your Commencement Speaker is a BIG deal.

If you hate Liberty so much - stop following a Liberty's sports Forum website - you are the one giving Liberty a bad name, not Jerry, Jr.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
ballah09 wrote:If I remember correctly TH you never attended Liberty. You're not the one who has to face people outside the Liberty bubble who looks at Liberty in a negative way. People who are associated with Liberty has to answer and defend Liberty in areas such as job interviews. This past year we all have been linked with Trump.

It's easy for Trump supporters with no ties to Liberty to say shut up we're lucky to have the POTUS speaking when they don't have to encounter the problems that the alumni and students constantly face.

I wonder if Jerry has a back up plan when it comes out about Russia and Trump :D

We get it...you hate Trump... But get off TH. He is welcome here and every bit a part of the Liberty family. I went to Liberty, own a business in Lynchburg, am a PROUD alum and face many people outside "the Liberty Bubble" everyday. Defend Liberty? Really? Hurting job status. Give me a break.... If you are getting into political arguments and defending where you went to school - then that's probably not a great employment option. Maybe sounding like a left-wing nut job - is hurting your hiring status too? Having an active President of the United States as your Commencement Speaker is a BIG deal.

If you hate Liberty so much - stop following a Liberty's sports Forum website - you are the one giving Liberty a bad name, not Jerry, Jr.
I'm not even going to respond to this personal attack. Not worth my time.

Don't worry I'm more than likely leaving and no, I don't hate Liberty, I actually love Liberty. You can find another left wing nut job to attack.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
prototype wrote:

I'm not even going to respond to this personal attack. Not worth my time.

Don't worry I'm more than likely leaving and no, I don't hate Liberty, I actually love Liberty. You can find another left wing nut job to attack.
I disagree with you on this but good grief. Don't leave overt it.
I also might disagree with a statement or two from PROTO. Don't think he should leave either
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: Having an active President of the United States as your Commencement Speaker is a BIG deal.

I wonder if they tried to get Pres. Obama then? 8)

I'm pretty much guessing not. "Big deals" can be good...or bad.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
To folks who are stating that it's an embarrassment of Trump coming to speak at commencement yet had not the same attitude with Romney, they need to stop talking and keep their head in the hole that they took it out from. Romney, the same person who approved of a similar type of healthcare system like Obamacare in the state of Massachusetts was not an embarrassment because he was the typical lying candidate that you 'ol timers are used to
I'm not sure what age has to do with anything.... I don't dislike Pres Trump so much for his policies but for his lack of character. And I agree with you, Romney is different from Pres Trump in many ways. Strong family man. No celebrated affairs. Man of faith (even if we don't disagree with the faith). Respected businessman. Respectful of others.

cruzan_flame13 wrote:Trump is accused of lying, but still there's no examples what he's lied about...
"I will release my taxes..."
"I won with the highest electoral votes since Reagan"
Denied saying some of the things M Kelly said he said
Would not readily disavow the support of David Duke, denying he knew who he was. - Evidence shows otherwise
Mocked a disabled man then denied it.
"I did not support the war in Iraq" - recording says he did before he didn't.
Claimed to have seen video of money being taken off plane to pay Iran for hostages. - Backed off. No video can be found.
Perpetuated lies about Ted Cruise and "mistresses" and of course his "assassin father".
"Three million people voted illegally" - no proof.
"Trump Winery largest on the east coast". - not close
Claimed he hand picked many of Trump University instructors- Executive deposed in 2012 said he picked no instructors
Claimed he warned about Osama Bin Ladin in his book The America We Deserve. - Not even close. One sentence mention.
Claimed 13 different times of meeting or having a relationship w Putin . Also claims several times he never talked to Putin.
Falsely Claimed Trump Magazine and Trump Steaks (among other Trump-branded items) still exist. Long gone.
"Nobody reads the Bible more than I do".

There are different types of falsehoods....mistakes and lies. I have only focused here on lies that are more character-based than politically based. The latter can be debatable and it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt in some areas as he likely doesn't understand yet some of the intricacies of the issues. There are more but you get the point. And note how many seem to come from a stance of trying to make himself look better.

On another point, I don't know of anyone saying our intelligence agencies "doesn't spy on anyone"
cruzan_flame13 wrote:What's funny is that those who are ashamed of this decision believes in lies that is propagated by the news and politicians who don't even know the difference between Crimea and Korea (Maxine Waters).
That is a mighty broad, and insulting brush you paint with. Maybe that is where the age issue come into play after all. :) But I don't think I have ever been compared to Maxine Waters so there's that. :o
By cruzan_flame13
Just John wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
To folks who are stating that it's an embarrassment of Trump coming to speak at commencement yet had not the same attitude with Romney, they need to stop talking and keep their head in the hole that they took it out from. Romney, the same person who approved of a similar type of healthcare system like Obamacare in the state of Massachusetts was not an embarrassment because he was the typical lying candidate that you 'ol timers are used to
I'm not sure what age has to do with anything.... I don't dislike Pres Trump so much for his policies but for his lack of character. And I agree with you, Romney is different from Pres Trump in many ways. Strong family man. No celebrated affairs. Man of faith (even if we don't disagree with the faith). Respected businessman. Respectful of others.

cruzan_flame13 wrote:Trump is accused of lying, but still there's no examples what he's lied about...
"I will release my taxes..."
"I won with the highest electol votes since Reagan"
Denied saying some of the things M Kelly said he said
Would not readily disavow the support of David Duke, denying he knew who he was. - Evidence shows otherwise
Mocked a disabled man then denied it.
"I did not support the war in Iraq" - recording says he did before he didn't.
Claimed to have seen video of money being taken off plane to pay Iran for hostages. - Backed off. No video can be found.
Perpetuated lies about Ted Cruise and "mistresses" and of course his "assassin father".
"Three million people voted illegally" - no proof.
"Trump Winery largest on the east coast". - not close
Claimed he hand picked many of Trump University instructors- Executive deposed in 2012 said he picked no instructors
Claimed he warned about Osama Bin Ladin in his book The America We Deserve. - Not even close. One sentence mention.
Claimed 13 different times of meeting or having a relationship w Putin . Also claims several times he never talked to Putin.
Falsely Claimed Trump Magazine and Trump Steaks (among other Trump-branded items) still exist. Long gone.
"Nobody reads the Bible more than I do".

There are different types of falsehoods....mistakes and lies. I have only focused here on lies that are more character-based than politically based. The latter can be debatable and it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt in some areas as he likely doesn't understand yet some of the intricacies of the issues. There are more but you get the point. And note how many seem to come from a stance of trying to make himself look better.

On another point, I don't know of anyone saying our intelligence agencies "doesn't spy on anyone"
cruzan_flame13 wrote:What's funny is that those who are ashamed of this decision believes in lies that is propagated by the news and politicians who don't even know the difference between Crimea and Korea (Maxine Waters).
That is a mighty broad, and insulting brush you paint with. Maybe that is where the age issue come into play after all. :) But I don't think I have ever been compared to Maxine Waters so there's that. :o
And Romney has no character flaws? Medical fraud , top aide impersonating an officer to tag a NYT writers car during the '08 campaign, making mockery statements as well, bragging about his business success yet the majority of his money comes from predatory and unethical business pillaging. Romney, as I recall, said some petty lies to boost his ego like stating he saw his dad marched with MLK and marched with him in Detroit (when he didn't), says he goes hunting all the time and received the NRA endorsement as governor (that was a lie). This is just a few that are there. Romney tries to reinvent himself as a conservative but he's still democrat at heart. Also stating that people believe in lies from politicians(Like Maxine Waters) and Media is not an insult. At least I know Trump had some work as a businessman and didn't just sit in the senate pretending to represent the people while getting a fat check from taxpayers. Trump actually been around folks and his workers so yes I would look more into him than the typical politicians who are only around folks when election times comes along.
So many triggers up in here. I didn't vote for Trump in the primary but I did in the general because he was better than Clinton. It's almost as if the two party system is broken. This is devolving into personal attacks rather than political discussion.

We have a sitting POTUS for Commencement. Neat. Let's just hope that in 2024(Because you don't run against a sitting POTUS in your party) we can get Rand Paul a good shot at bringing some sanity to DC.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So if someone else lies it is ok for me to lie? I guess I missed that biblical reference.

If people would just say, "I like his politics but don't like him personally" I would respect that much more then the people who just spend their time defending all the awful things Trump has said and lied about.

For the most part PH does that and I respect that a whole lot more than the Trump moral apologist that run around on here and social media.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So if someone else lies it is ok for me to lie? I guess I missed that biblical reference.

If people would just say, "I like his politics but don't like him personally" I would respect that much more then the people who just spend their time defending all the awful things Trump has said and lied about.

For the most part PH does that and I respect that a whole lot more than the Trump moral apologist that run around on here and social media.
Wait? Was that a compliment? :shock: :stretcher
By cruzan_flame13
adam42381 wrote:And that, folks, is what moving the goalposts looks like.
Were you helping to move it? Just wondering. The reason why I respect Trump is that he's down to earth. He is a new form of conservatism, discussing about the workers, jobs, immigration issues, innovation of technology. Of course a lot of folks in the republican party didn't like that. They dont actually care about these things and barely discusses them. We all can see that the democratic side doesn't want to do anything about immigration, technology, etc. (They actually want to prolong immigration, get rid of /limit technology and entrepreneurship). So if I'm offending anyone, I do not apologize because I'm just stating truths. We have been living in a society where bureaucrats have increased and and entrepreneurship has decrease. We have more federal workers than independent businessmen/businesswoman. Why is that? Because proposed working for social change to impact the world so that's when we have the peace corps and other organizations(started under Kennedy). So yes, generations have been dumbed down to think that this is great and entrepreneurs who gain success are the bad folks. We wouldn't have Apple, Microsoft and other big companies if it wasn't for those ideas the Reagan proposed in the 80's. Do you see a lot of politicians on both sides promoting this? Nope. So yes actions do speak louder than words. I can agree that Trump has said some things that are harsh(although a few weren't wrong to be honest). Should he calm down a bit and should be more honest? Yes. But don't make it seem that the other politicians are better becausevmany of them are actors and can play the part in public as well. Also, Trump is doing a lot of things that he implied on his platform, so I can support that. I will admit that there are things that I do not agree as well, both politically and personally. That's all I'll say on that matter.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts

In all the job interviews I've had, no one has even asked me about Liberty. Indeed, the only time education came up was when I started my career in 2009 and had the audacity to tell folks "You want me because I have the education and experience that you're looking for." Since then, its never really factored into anything at all.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Were you helping to move it? Just wondering. The reason why I respect Trump is that he's down to earth. He is a new form of conservatism, discussing about the workers, jobs, immigration issues, innovation of technology. Of course a lot of folks in the republican party didn't like that. They dont actually care about these things and barely discusses them. We all can see that the democratic side doesn't want to do anything about immigration, technology, etc. (They actually want to prolong immigration, get rid of /limit technology and entrepreneurship). So if I'm offending anyone, I do not apologize because I'm just stating truths. We have been living in a society where bureaucrats have increased and and entrepreneurship has decrease. We have more federal workers than independent businessmen/businesswoman. Why is that? Because proposed working for social change to impact the world so that's when we have the peace corps and other organizations(started under Kennedy). So yes, generations have been dumbed down to think that this is great and entrepreneurs who gain success are the bad folks. We wouldn't have Apple, Microsoft and other big companies if it wasn't for those ideas the Reagan proposed in the 80's. Do you see a lot of politicians on both sides promoting this? Nope. So yes actions do speak louder than words. I can agree that Trump has said some things that are harsh(although a few weren't wrong to be honest). Should he calm down a bit and should be more honest? Yes. But don't make it seem that the other politicians are better becausevmany of them are actors and can play the part in public as well. Also, Trump is doing a lot of things that he implied on his platform, so I can support that. I will admit that there are things that I do not agree as well, both politically and personally. That's all I'll say on that matter.
Oy. The original point is that Trump is a habitual liar, but all you do is talk around that. Go ahead and say it to yourself a few times, Donald Trump lies to everyone, a lot. From the above, I can't really tell what you're for, other than Trump. And your "new form of conservatism" comment leads me to believe that you didn't really understand conservatism to begin with. But your last sentence gives me hope.
ALUmnus wrote: But your last sentence gives me hope.
Seems like you just wanted to have the last word here without any fight. Pretty elementary tactic here too.

He either
A) Retorts and responds to your comment, thus breaking his "That's all I've got to say 'bout that"

B) He leaves it be and you got your last dig into him.

You are arguing to win, not discussing to understand.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ALUmnus wrote: But your last sentence gives me hope.
Seems like you just wanted to have the last word here without any fight. Pretty elementary tactic here too.

He either
A) Retorts and responds to your comment, thus breaking his "That's all I've got to say 'bout that"

B) He leaves it be and you got your last dig into him.

You are arguing to win, not discussing to understand.
There is no "winning" here. Cruzan asked for evidence, got it, then changed the conversation. There is no reason to engage him any further.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Are any of you guys in sales? Hyperbole. Purposeful exaggeration. Misdirection. All parts of sales techniques. Not sure you would call them lies.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Compared to some of these clowns you are pretty level headed. I wouldn't go as far to say it is a compliment though...
:BS That was a compliment followed by another one. I'll take the win
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:No I just like facts with actual evidence and not just sayings with no hardcore evidence.

Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]