This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/t ... 9f198.html
“There was an accusation in 2015 from a non-student against someone who is now employed by the University. The pair had been in a romantic relationship for some time. The person complaining claimed sexual assault because at some point during an off-campus sexual encounter, she told her partner to stop and he didn’t. She complained that he was not behaving in the “Liberty Way” and demanded that the University fire him,” part of the statement from LU reads.
I don't get it, she wasn't a student then and if he is "now," employed by the university, was he employed then? Did she report it to law enforcement?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This is super duper flimsy

Although if I was a conspiracy theorist and the true hater people think, I'd say the timing lends itself to a high profile individual in the Athletic Department who has had Title IX issues in the past as the target. But I AM NOT SAYING THAT. SO DONT GO THERE
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This case isn't worth paper printed on. If my memory is correct she filed complaint the same day new AD was hired. "Questionable timing" at best.
This case has nothing to do with LU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:This case isn't worth paper printed on. If my memory is correct she filed complaint the same day new AD was hired. "Questionable timing" at best.
This case has nothing to do with LU.
Except the person works at LU
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It sounds to me like someone was having a less than stellar time with their "boyfriend" (since apparently they were in a romantic relationship at the time) on one particular night and decided to claim sexual assault. Now, I hate sexual assault as much as the next guy (and personally think that anyone guilty of such things should face some very severe punishment both physically and legally), but I find that is a charge being somewhat overused in this day and age.

What makes me sad is that you have a lot of young ladies who claim sexual assault and charges are dropped after they get a nice "financial settlement" and its those cases that make it difficult for those who are LEGITIMATE victims of sexual assault from coming forward.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:It sounds to me like someone was having a less than stellar time with their "boyfriend" (since apparently they were in a romantic relationship at the time) on one particular night and decided to claim sexual assault. Now, I hate sexual assault as much as the next guy (and personally think that anyone guilty of such things should face some very severe punishment both physically and legally), but I find that is a charge being somewhat overused in this day and age.

What makes me sad is that you have a lot of young ladies who claim sexual assault and charges are dropped after they get a nice "financial settlement" and its those cases that make it difficult for those who are LEGITIMATE victims of sexual assault from coming forward.
What makes me sad is that you have a lot of people who look to de-legitimize sexual assault accusations by making assumptions without knowing the particulars...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:It sounds to me like someone was having a less than stellar time with their "boyfriend" (since apparently they were in a romantic relationship at the time) on one particular night and decided to claim sexual assault. Now, I hate sexual assault as much as the next guy (and personally think that anyone guilty of such things should face some very severe punishment both physically and legally), but I find that is a charge being somewhat overused in this day and age.

What makes me sad is that you have a lot of people who look to de-legitimize sexual assault accusations by making assumptions without knowing the particulars...
Ding Ding Ding Ding
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
I know the female individual involved in this and I can tell you that it's (in my opinon) a legit complaint and that what she went through has nearly destroyed her life. You can imagine her situation when the accused moved in a few houses down from her after the events in question.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:

its the enormous amount of sexual assault fraud that de-legitimizes accusations. to the point where being suspicious to a point is reasonable. As a father of 3 girls, accusations are no laughing matter. The definition of assault is such a blurred line. one of my local buddies is a PO at a highschool. a few weeks ago a girl said she was raped by another student. after questioning friends, it turned out she just regretted it the next day and because she felt regret it must of been rape. this kids life might still be turned upside down because of it.

heres the thing. there are still womens groups out here who say that IS rape and charges should be filed. Now you can understand why many accusations are met with a level of suspect. obviously concrete assumptions are a huge error but i dont fault people for that initial response.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:]

its the enormous amount of sexual assault fraud that de-legitimizes accusations. to the point where being suspicious to a point is reasonable. As a father of 3 girls, accusations are no laughing matter. The definition of assault is such a blurred line. one of my local buddies is a PO at a highschool. a few weeks ago a girl said she was raped by another student. after questioning friends, it turned out she just regretted it the next day and because she felt regret it must of been rape. this kids life might still be turned upside down because of it.

heres the thing. there are still womens groups out here who say that IS rape and charges should be filed. Now you can understand why many accusations are met with a level of suspect. obviously concrete assumptions are a huge error but i dont fault people for that initial response.
See it's stories like the bold that I was talking about, and two people are going to be adversely affected as a result. The young lady because she will have to live with the fact that she basically destroyed a young man's life because she "regretted" what she did, and her future credibility if (God forbid) she is a victim of sexual violence in the future...and the young man who will possibly face jail time, register as a sex offender for the rest of his life AND probably will have a more difficult time finding a meaningful job to support himself and his future family.
It gets even blurrier when alcohol is involved. Consent can't be given by either party legally. Both could claim rape even if it was consensual the night of. If people could just stop raping people, that'd be great.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There was a study done back in 2015 stating 20% of accusations were found to be false accusations. I mean that isn't a small number but also isn't large enough for people to be as dismissive as they are anytime accusations are brought forward.

When I have the time I'll look up the study and post the link here.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
yeah that study was regarding just regular joe schmoes too. but the number could be greater. i know there are plenty of accusations that are never made when they probably should be. those assaults just go unrecorded for a myriad of reasons.

its reasonable to assume that when it comes to people tied to organizations financially as well as well to do people, that percentage regarding falseness would be higher than 20%. if its 20% for just a normal everyday person with more debt than savings typically, that percentage is going to grow when the accused either represents some loaded entity or is loaded themselves.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:yeah that study was regarding just regular joe schmoes too. but the number could be greater. i know there are plenty of accusations that are never made when they probably should be. those assaults just go unrecorded for a myriad of reasons.

its reasonable to assume that when it comes to people tied to organizations financially as well as well to do people, that percentage regarding falseness would be higher than 20%. if its 20% for just a normal everyday person with more debt than savings typically, that percentage is going to grow when the accused either represents some loaded entity or is loaded themselves.
Oh yeah. Statistics never tell the whole story. I hate that there are any false reports because it makes it even harder for real victims to come forward.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Oh yeah. Statistics never tell the whole story. I hate that there are any false reports because it makes it even harder for real victims to come forward.
It may feel uncomfortable for you to hear this reply, but I agree 100% with your post.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:yeah that study was regarding just regular joe schmoes too. but the number could be greater. i know there are plenty of accusations that are never made when they probably should be. those assaults just go unrecorded for a myriad of reasons.

Oh yeah. Statistics never tell the whole story. I hate that there are any false reports because it makes it even harder for real victims to come forward.
here near chitown, the whole kaner thing was a pretty big deal. male and female fem journalists (cities full of them) condemned him immediately and lambasted anyone who was suspicious. well it all turned out to be an enormous rouse and instead of walking back their statements, they near doubled down on it. basically stating, we can't know what happened and maybe it did and maybe it didn't. and most people are like what are you talking about. its pretty clear that it didn't. this one idiot lady is like, if she felt raped she was raped. even if its after the fact and needs money.

like what?

once again, i believe sexual assaults reported as a whole are way lower than what actually happens. its horrible. but the ones that are reported, 1 out of 5 for normal joe baloney's is not good. 80% survival rate regarding some disease is still pretty terrifying.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
NewsAdvance.com wrote:Feds drop Title IX probe of LU prompted by sex assault claim
Josh Moody

A Title IX investigation of Liberty University has been closed by the U.S. Office of Civil Rights, citing a lack of jurisdiction.

The investigation was prompted by a claim of off-campus sexual assault reported in November 2016 involving a Liberty employee.
Click Here for Full Story
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]