This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Great news. The ranges around the area are either not very good or hard to get access to. I've been considering opening one myself, but this may squash that idea.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Great news. The ranges around the area are either not very good or hard to get access to. I've been considering opening one myself, but this may squash that idea.
I only know of the one at Lynchburg Arms and that's tough to get in on the weekends. But they do a great job offering NRA classes etc.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Izaac Walton up in Madison Heights is nice...they have a 50 yard pistol range and a 300 yard rifle range. The only problem, it is in Madison Heights.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Lynchburg Arms is okay, but small. Izaac Walton would be a good option, but it's pricey. If they let you bring a guest more than once a year, I'd consider it. There's also Brushy Mountain down in Gretna, but it's really hard to join. And there's one across from Lowe's in Bedford that I don't know much about, but I think you have to volunteer for events and stuff as part of your membership. I haven't been to LU's current range.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Lynchburg Arms is okay, but small. Izaac Walton would be a good option, but it's pricey. If they let you bring a guest more than once a year, I'd consider it. There's also Brushy Mountain down in Gretna, but it's really hard to join. And there's one across from Lowe's in Bedford that I don't know much about, but I think you have to volunteer for events and stuff as part of your membership. I haven't been to LU's current range.
The people at Lynchburg Arms are pretty helpful. I went to the one down in Gretna off of 29 and I felt like I was bothering them.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Thank God my parents live in the middle of nowhere with lots of land. I have no need for a range ;-)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I went to the one down in Gretna off of 29 and I felt like I was bothering them.
Did you tell them you were friends with Gretna's own ballcoach?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I went to the one down in Gretna off of 29 and I felt like I was bothering them.
Did you tell them you were friends with Gretna's own ballcoach?
May have to try that next time
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Lynchburg Arms is okay, but small. Izaac Walton would be a good option, but it's pricey. If they let you bring a guest more than once a year, I'd consider it. There's also Brushy Mountain down in Gretna, but it's really hard to join. And there's one across from Lowe's in Bedford that I don't know much about, but I think you have to volunteer for events and stuff as part of your membership. I haven't been to LU's current range.
Yea...that is their official policy, but there is no way to police that...I have brought guests more than once with no issues.
They are also building at least one more range (and I believe actually 2 more) currently. It is going to be more of a tactical type range for action shooting and training, or so I've heard.

They could also struggle with the new LU range depending on how LU allows the general public to use the range. Most of the people I know at Izaac Walton come from the Lynchburg/Forest area. LU is a much closer drive if they allow access.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Camp Hydaway
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Campbell County supervisors passed the proposal tonight 6-0. LU hopes to have the range built by Labor Day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Campbell County supervisors passed the proposal tonight 6-0. LU hopes to have the range built by Labor Day.
Sweet
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
I thought I remember reading that LU was not doing the indoor range as a result of a newly proposed Indoor Range being built in Lynchburg. Well, it looks like SafeSide Tactical from Roanoke is building a facility off Mayflower Drive to open this July.

http://wsls.com/2017/03/17/5-million-sa ... lynchburg/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:I thought I remember reading that LU was not doing the indoor range as a result of a newly proposed Indoor Range being built in Lynchburg. Well, it looks like SafeSide Tactical from Roanoke is building a facility off Mayflower Drive to open this July.

I am pretty sure that LU is moving forward with the shooting range. I talked with the guys who are bidding to be the Instructors out there. (I give them my 100%.vote of support. You won't find better)
As for SafeSide Tactical that place is cool although in a VERY sketchy part of town. They offer memberships etc. There is more then enough business to be had to support both places IMO
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
HenryGale wrote:I thought I remember reading that LU was not doing the indoor range as a result of a newly proposed Indoor Range being built in Lynchburg. Well, it looks like SafeSide Tactical from Roanoke is building a facility off Mayflower Drive to open this July.

I am pretty sure that LU is moving forward with the shooting range. I talked with the guys who are bidding to be the Instructors out there. (I give them my 100%.vote of support. You won't find better)
As for SafeSide Tactical that place is cool although in a VERY sketchy part of town. They offer memberships etc. There is more then enough business to be had to support both places IMO
Even the indoor part of the range? Originally the indoor range was part of Phase 2, but I think I saw somewhere they were nixing the indoor range because of what seems to be now, SafeSide Tactical.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know if this is available to the general public yet? The last I saw was during the grand opening, they said it would be open to the general public right after graduation. I drove by it yesterday and there is still a gate blocking the road.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:Does anyone know if this is available to the general public yet? The last I saw was during the grand opening, they said it would be open to the general public right after graduation. I drove by it yesterday and there is still a gate blocking the road.
When you know let me know
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, your source DROVE to the gun range just before graduation.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]