This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I sure the employees at LU are also #2 in the state in regards to pay scale. :nod
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A couple of years ago Nido Qubein was making 3 million a year.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... 09390.html
A High Point spokeswoman said Monday that Qubein’s salary is $662,000. A statement from HPU’s trustee board chairman, Richard Vert, said: “It would be impossible to compensate Dr. Qubein for the incredible results he delivers at HPU. We believe that in him we have the best college president in the country to lead our growing university.”

High Point has tripled its enrollment to 4,300 in the past decade
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:A couple of years ago Nido Qubein was making 3 million a year.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... 09390.html
A High Point spokeswoman said Monday that Qubein’s salary is $662,000. A statement from HPU’s trustee board chairman, Richard Vert, said: “It would be impossible to compensate Dr. Qubein for the incredible results he delivers at HPU. We believe that in him we have the best college president in the country to lead our growing university.”

High Point has tripled its enrollment to 4,300 in the past decade
But that is in NC
By Jonathan Carone
I'm okay with him making that much money given the success of the school and how large the online program is. I also don't mind what some of the VPs are making given the size and scope of it. I just wish they'd pay the faculty and staff under those VPs what they deserve.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm okay with him making that much money given the success of the school and how large the online program is. I also don't mind what some of the VPs are making given the size and scope of it. I just wish they'd pay the faculty and staff under those VPs what they deserve.
This 100%. I have no problem with his salary. Faculty salaries on the other hand...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm okay with him making that much money given the success of the school and how large the online program is. I also don't mind what some of the VPs are making given the size and scope of it. I just wish they'd pay the faculty and staff under those VPs what they deserve.
This 100%. I have no problem with his salary. Faculty salaries on the other hand...
You take the Falwell name out of LU its value plummets.
By rhezick
Good for him. As seen by the growth of LU, he obviously deserves it. It's so idiotic to think that just because it's a non-profit that you don't deserve high pay. The crux though, as said above is that while there are lots of staff compensated very well, it is a shame that the faculty are not. And that's the issue.

Since it's on a similar topic, anyone catch the new 990 for LU ending 6/30/15? Liberty crossed over $1 billion in revenue and $2 billion in assets during that time (18 months ago now).
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pd ... 1480983735
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
The school can only go so far on the shoestring budget allocated to faculty. Sorry, but all of you who graduated from LU should realize that any respect for an LU diploma has done nothing but decline over the same time we are building up the campus (and cutting the budget for faculty). By the way Sly, did you ever find out what happened with Emily Heady. The word is that she has resigned.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Honest question - if the pay sucks, why doesn't the faculty seek work elsewhere?

It also seems that, although our faculty pay is lagging, the gap in the state average isn't too extreme, especially if faculty at other universities are expected to bring in grants and other financial benefits to their universities:
http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?P ... MID=216028

That's the way it seems to me - y'all are free to correct me if I'm wrong.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
The school can only go so far on the shoestring budget allocated to faculty. Sorry, but all of you who graduated from LU should realize that any respect for an LU diploma has done nothing but decline over the same time we are building up the campus (and cutting the budget for faculty). By the way Sly, did you ever find out what happened with Emily Heady. The word is that she has resigned.
I want to know as well. Such a big loss and really pathetic if they let her go.
Last edited by ballah09 on December 6th, 2016, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Honest question - if the pay sucks, why doesn't the faculty seek work elsewhere?

It also seems that, although our faculty pay is lagging, the gap in the state average isn't too extreme, especially if faculty at other universities are expected to bring in grants and other financial benefits to their universities:

Moving from one University post to another is not that easy. Especially from a 'Teaching' institution to another school. It's not like your line of work where it is uniform across the Country.
By ElmersTwin
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:Honest question - if the pay sucks, why doesn't the faculty seek work elsewhere?

Moving from one University post to another is not that easy. Especially from a 'Teaching' institution to another school. It's not like your line of work where it is uniform across the Country.
Echoing this sentiment, transitioning from LU to another halfway decent state or private institution isn't exactly the easiest route. Sure there are exceptions, but it's not common.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Echoing this sentiment, transitioning from LU to another halfway decent state or private institution isn't exactly the easiest route. Sure there are exceptions, but it's not common.
The first thing they ask is 'What research have you done or been involved in doing?' Followed by 'Can we have a list of articles you have published in Peer reviewed journals?'
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:'Can we have a list of articles you have published in Peer reviewed journals?'
This is what I've always wanted to see more of, particularly from the School of Divinity. While there are a few profs writing, a little notoriety in the faculty goes a long way in attracting respect and students.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:'Can we have a list of articles you have published in Peer reviewed journals?'
This is what I've always wanted to see more of, particularly from the School of Divinity. While there are a few profs writing, a little notoriety in the faculty goes a long way in attracting respect and students.
You are a wise man. (If i may assume your gender :evil: )
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for High Point University, with their prez making that much money he should be able to bring football to HP.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As for High Point University, with their prez making that much money he should be able to bring football to HP.
Yeah, because that makes sense.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:As for High Point University, with their prez making that much money he should be able to bring football to HP.
Sometimes I think he is vying for Beej's spot as least coherent poster
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach is a military veteran in his 60s.

I don't know what BJ's excuse is
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
right lol. High Point is in so much debt
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: The first thing they ask is 'What research have you done or been involved in doing?' Followed by 'Can we have a list of articles you have published in Peer reviewed journals?'
If I may play devil's advocate, can't they write articles on their own initiative?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: The first thing they ask is 'What research have you done or been involved in doing?' Followed by 'Can we have a list of articles you have published in Peer reviewed journals?'
If I may play devil's advocate, can't they write articles on their own initiative?
Yes, but they won't be taken seriously unless they are published is a Peer Reviewed Journal. A national periodical, Time or Newsweek or SI, might help, but you usually don't get those unless you've done the other
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]