This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that ballcoach votes for BURGER KING.

The best meal at the Cav is their Reuben. But an LU alum posted this YouTube video at the Cav years ago that is still worth watching:

And you've got to get the potato wedges with Ranch dressing.

One WARNING: they only take CASH, so don't show up with a credit card or debit card. :nono
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 28th, 2016, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
prototype wrote:Is Roanoke considered Lynchburg? ;)
I think the best Burgers are at -
http://beamers25.com
Obviously not, but this was about the best in each state
True but the OP asked if it was even the best in Lynchburg.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Water Dog tops the Cav, and I'm betting that the soon to come Bootleggers will beat it, too. Bootleggers will feature Australian Wagyu beef per their press release. Burger Bach out in Richmond has been selling New Zealand beef...maybe where they got the idea.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Jack Browns in Roanoke
The Elvis Burger
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have never heard of The Cav.

The best hamburger in Virginia is at "Jack's in Gretna. I doubt whoever came up with that Hamburger rankings, sampled the burgers at Jack's.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never heard of The Cav.

The best hamburger in Virginia is at "Jack's in Gretna. I doubt whoever came up with that Hamburger rankings, sampled the burgers at Jack's.
I was just in Greta. Where's Jack's?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:In middle of town , one block off main street, across from Elba Butcher Shop.
I've gotten some good steaks from Elba's but didn't see Jack's
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Why do you guys keep talking about places that require a drive...Roanoke, Greta (for you, PH)? I thought the OP was asking if the Cav had the best burger in the burg.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Why do you guys keep talking about places that require a drive...Roanoke, Greta (for you, PH)? I thought the OP was asking if the Cav had the best burger in the burg.
I threw out a place in Bristol. Ha
Here in Lynchburg? What's the name of the place by the bread place? DAHLIA?
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Haven't been to the Cav but I live in Roanoke and I'm not crazy about Jack Browns. The setting makes it feel like a joint more-so than a restaurant but the burger was really gourmet. When you have "beer and burger joint" in your name, I want meat spilling out of the bun and grease on my fingers. If that burger doesn't make me wonder whether or not I'm having a heart attack within a few hours of digestion, you need to rethink the ingredients.

Also, I got "The Greg Brady," which is supposed to have mac & cheese. All of it fell out of my burger and it tasted like Velveeta. Maybe I need to give it another try, but I didn't have a very positive experience.

Carytown Burgers & Fries, in Richmond, is still my favorite. Although, I have been wanting to try Citizen Burger Bar. It looks flat out amazing. http://citizenburgerbar.com/carytown/menu/
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, you would choose the Whopper Junior OVER the regular Whopper? The Whopper Junior is so small that it is almost classified as a "slider."
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I frequent the Forest Burger King, but Mrs. Cider has told me to NEVER get her a Whopper Junior. :nono
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Haven't been to the Cav but I live in Roanoke and I'm not crazy about Jack Browns. The setting makes it feel like a joint more-so than a restaurant but the burger was really gourmet. When you have "beer and burger joint" in your name, I want meat spilling out of the bun and grease on my fingers. If that burger doesn't make me wonder whether or not I'm having a heart attack within a few hours of digestion, you need to rethink the ingredients.

Also, I got "The Greg Brady," which is supposed to have mac & cheese. All of it fell out of my burger and it tasted like Velveeta. Maybe I need to give it another try, but I didn't have a very positive experience.

Carytown Burgers & Fries, in Richmond, is still my favorite. Although, I have been wanting to try Citizen Burger Bar. It looks flat out amazing. http://citizenburgerbar.com/carytown/menu/
I've only been to the Jack Brown's in Richmond once, even if it's just a mile from the house. I like that the burger is a nice, manageable size. Same can be said for Boulevard Burgers and Brew. I've been to the Citizen Burger in Charlottesville, but not Carytown. Good burger, but I thought it was too big. I have the same criticism of Burger Bach. Good, but it's just too much dang food, and burgers aren't really conducive to reheating, unless you get fresh bread. I do need to try Carytown Burger and Fries at some point. They have some solid weekday happy hour specials.

As for the Cav burger, I always thought it was overrated. I was a big fan of the burgers at Brauburger. Heard good things about Beer 88's burger but never got a chance to try one.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Haven't been to the Cav but I live in Roanoke and I'm not crazy about Jack Browns. The setting makes it feel like a joint more-so than a restaurant but the burger was really gourmet. When you have "beer and burger joint" in your name, I want meat spilling out of the bun and grease on my fingers. If that burger doesn't make me wonder whether or not I'm having a heart attack within a few hours of digestion, you need to rethink the ingredients.

I've only been to the Jack Brown's in Richmond once, even if it's just a mile from the house. I like that the burger is a nice, manageable size. Same can be said for Boulevard Burgers and Brew. I've been to the Citizen Burger in Charlottesville, but not Carytown. Good burger, but I thought it was too big. I have the same criticism of Burger Bach. Good, but it's just too much dang food, and burgers aren't really conducive to reheating, unless you get fresh bread. I do need to try Carytown Burger and Fries at some point. They have some solid weekday happy hour specials.
I've been to Brew a few times as well. Surprised someone else knows about it to be honest. ha! It's pretty tasty but not my personal favorite. They do have some excellent brews though. Carytown Burgers is incredible though. Maybe next time I'm in town, we can meet and grab a bite.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]