This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Not including the mansion, what's the oldest building on LU's campus now?

Prayer Chapel
67%
Religion Building
No votes
0%
Hill Dorms
No votes
0%
Other (please specify)
33%
I've been at LU since 1985, but I don't know the dates of buildings before then, so I'm curious if the older alumni can tell which buildings predated 1985 and when they were constructed? In other words, can we form an accurate time line regarding the construction of our older buildings that appeared on campus in the 1970s-1980s and are still here?
The first construction on campus included a few of the circle dorms and 2 one story butler buildings which housed classrooms and the cafeteria The original Liberty gym was next I haven't been on campus in over 5 years and honestly don't know if any of those are still standing
olldflame wrote:The first construction on campus included a few of the circle dorms and 2 one story butler buildings which housed classrooms and the cafeteria The original Liberty gym was next I haven't been on campus in over 5 years and honestly don't know if any of those are still standing
All of the "circle" dorms have been torn down, with the exception of Dorm 7.
All of the buildings surrounding DeMoss (including the gym) have been torn down.

B.R. Lakin is old, but has received a face lift and addition.

Of course, I think Cider missed the obvious: Isn't Green Hall the oldest?
I did forget Green Hall, but that was given to us and remodeled, rather than built by us. So I'm guessing Dorm 7 is the oldest, but won't be around much longer. Can anybody put a year on Dorm 7? I'm guessing late 1970s or early 1980s.

So did the Prayer Chapel or the Religion Building come next? And when?
ballcoach15 wrote:When was first floor of DeMoss building constructed ?
The first floor of DeMoss opened my first year teaching there: fall semester 1985.

When I drove down from Huntington, WV for the interview, I asked to see the library, and my future boss told me that it was "in storage" for the summer. :shock:
I have an old high school friend who came here in 1978, and she said at that time there were NO male dorms on campus (on the mountain). She said all of the male dorms in 1978 were downtown somewhere. Can anybody confirm that?
Looks like for the moment Dorm 7 is the sole survivor of the initial phase of construction, and the oldest bldg on campus that did not come with the property One of the hill dorms was initially used as the Administration building, and I'm pretty sure was built before the others, so I think when dorm 7 meets it's demise, that will be the oldest

On a side note, can anyone explain why dorm 7 has NOT been torn down yet :dontgetit

On another side note, can someone tell me if JLFJR is now using his Dad's old office in the Mansion, and where the main administration offices are now located
Last edited by olldflame on September 28th, 2016, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
olldflame wrote:Looks like for the moment Dorm 7 is the sole survivor of the initial phase of construction, and the oldest bldg on campus that did not come with the property One of the hill dorms was initially used as the Administration building, and I'm pretty sure was built before the others, so I think when dorm 7 meets it's demise, that will be the oldest

On a side note, can anyone explain why dorm 7 has NOT been torn down yet :dontgetit
My parents asked this question when they were there last weekend. They were told it was because the school hasn't had a need for that land yet.
It is my understanding that his new office will be in the tower. Last I heard the office in the mansion was left basically the way it was the day Doc died. To my knowledge it has not been used for any other purpose since. But that was as of a couple of years ago.
The last time I was actually up to speed with what is where on campus, most of the Mansion (pretty much everything but Doc's offices) was occupied by the counseling center Are they still there

I sort of get the idea of leaving that office untouched for a while, but at some point you have to move on I definately think he would have frowned on the idea of treating it as some sort of shrine, and would want it to be used
olldflame wrote:Is JLFJR using his dad's old office in the Mansion and where are the main administrative offices now located
The president's office is now on the top floor of Green Hall, the floor above the law school. The mansion still houses Dr. Falwell's old office and Carter Glass's old office for visitors to see. My understanding is that the rest of the mansion is sort of a bed and breakfast for the top tier-VIPs when they visit campus or speak in Convo.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]