This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Saw in paper this morning that Jerry jr. approached city about expanding Ward's road to 3 lanes. This is a good idea on the surface, but it will lead to sitting in 3 lanes of traffic at stop lights instead of 2. Just remove the stop lights and keep traffic flowing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Saw in paper this morning that Jerry jr. approached city about expanding Ward's road to 3 lanes. This is a good idea on the surface, but it will lead to sitting in 3 lanes of traffic at stop lights instead of 2. Just remove the stop lights and keep traffic flowing.
That makes no sense whatsoever.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Saw in paper this morning that Jerry jr. approached city about expanding Ward's road to 3 lanes. This is a good idea on the surface, but it will lead to sitting in 3 lanes of traffic at stop lights instead of 2. Just remove the stop lights and keep traffic flowing.
So you want to make it impossible for people to make left turns or to get out of of parking lots?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall traveling on Ward's Road during a power failure when no lights were working. Traffic flowed the best I have ever seen it. With traffic lights, vehicles spend too much time just sitting there. If vehicles are moving, there's no backup.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I remember this one time when things happened the way I wanted them so we should always do things that way because things will always happen the way they did that one time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Man, what have we been thinking all of these years wasting $$ and electricity on traffic lights We all know that when people get behind the wheel of a car they are always polite and respectful and take their turn

While we are at it, let's do away with those annoying speed limits too
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I'm guessing Jerry will pay for it? The city will be dumping money into Odd Fellows and Lakeside/Old Forest before anything is done on Wards. A good number of people don't bother going near Wards and there will be more development on the west side of town over the next few years while the Wards Rd corridor is just about built out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:I'm guessing Jerry will pay for it? The city will be dumping money into Odd Fellows and Lakeside/Old Forest before anything is done on Wards. A good number of people don't bother going near Wards and there will be more development on the west side of town over the next few years while the Wards Rd corridor is just about built out.
When has LU willingly paid for any capital projects for the city or county?
Wards Rd is about build out. Lakeside Dr by Billy Craft Honda is maxed out now with Alsi's etc as well. And you are right. 221 between the Wyndhurst turn and JF is the future traffic / retail nightmare
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
The article says that Liberty would be willing to assist financially. The lanes would be created (partially) by removing turn only lanes. For example: Moving from Liberty to the Mall on Ward's road the right most lane is a turn lane... which has lines (and perhaps islands) to prevent people from driving in it. I think Jerry is suggesting simply removing them as "turn only" and make them a travel lane.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:I'm guessing Jerry will pay for it? The city will be dumping money into Odd Fellows and Lakeside/Old Forest before anything is done on Wards. A good number of people don't bother going near Wards and there will be more development on the west side of town over the next few years while the Wards Rd corridor is just about built out.
Wards Rd is about build out. Lakeside Dr by Billy Craft Honda is maxed out now with Alsi's etc as well. And you are right. 221 between the Wyndhurst turn and JF is the future traffic / retail nightmare
Actually, there is more than 600 acres of developable space right around that intersection and it has solid demographics. When Billy Craft moves down the road, that will open up another significant chunk of land right at the intersection. The only structure between Old Forest Rd and the Aldi that is not planned for development is the Wilco.

How about we (the city) don't spend any money on Wards; LU has more money than it knows what to do with and Jerry is offering!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Actually, there is more than 600 acres of developable space right around that intersection and it has solid demographics. When Billy Craft moves down the road, that will open up another significant chunk of land right at the intersection. The only structure between Old Forest Rd and the Aldi that is not planned for development is the Wilco.

How about we (the city) don't spend any money on Wards; LU has more money than it knows what to do with and Jerry is offering!
If I was the City/County I'd want the check in hand so I could run to the bank and cash it before I did anything
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Actually 221 between Wyndhurst and JF was a nightmare when I left Lynchburg.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Man, what have we been thinking all of these years wasting $$ and electricity on traffic lights We all know that when people get behind the wheel of a car they are always polite and respectful and take their turn

Actually I am all for doing away with speed limits - they impede on my freedom to travel efficiently from point A to point B.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
olldflame wrote:Man, what have we been thinking all of these years wasting $$ and electricity on traffic lights We all know that when people get behind the wheel of a car they are always polite and respectful and take their turn

Actually I am all for doing away with speed limits - they impede on my freedom to travel efficiently from point A to point B.
Based on that statement and knowing what you drive, I now fear for your life

Heaven forbid our safety (or your own) should make your travel less "efficient" :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ATrain wrote:

Based on that statement and knowing what you drive, I now fear for your life

Heaven forbid our safety (or your own) should make your travel less "efficient" :roll:
He probably drives a Prius
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Way to go for the steriotype Purple He has posted pics here of his macho red Jeep Wrangler Pretty much the worst possible vehicle to zip around ignoring pesky speed limits in Dallas traffic
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Way to go for the steriotype Purple He has posted pics here of his macho red Jeep Wrangler Pretty much the worst possible vehicle to zip around ignoring pesky speed limits in Dallas traffic
I think he sold it. And he lives in Boston.
If I wanted to stereotype id go VW Bug or convertible 3 series
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
He probably drives a Prius
Now, now, enough with the Prius bashing. I have one to complement my more manly rides and it certainly comes in handy.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
221 is almost as bad as Ward's Road now. Additional development will make it worse. If someone sets a Porta John on side of road in Lynchburg, VDOT shows up and installs a traffic light,
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]