This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I see Hillcats play Thursday night in Carolina League playoffs. Appomattox plays Heritage same night in football. Is there enough parking at the stadium for both games ? Any secret parking places over there ?
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
There's plenty of parking. The Hillcats draw flies in the playoffs. No promotions = no attendance. Usually just a few hundred diehards there. Sad reality of minor-league baseball.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Varsity or JV?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Varsity. Should be a huge crowd. Has potential to be one of best high school games of the year in the area. By virtue of it being on Thursday, high school fans from all over can attend, then go to their favorite school's game Friday night.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:There's plenty of parking. The Hillcats draw flies in the playoffs. No promotions = no attendance. Usually just a few hundred diehards there. Sad reality of minor-league baseball.
I didn't realize this was the case. Why no promos? Don't want them going to waste if the team is eliminated?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is strong compettion for the disposable income once the fall arrives. The same thing occurs in the MLB & MLS.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Glass has the stadium Friday night. That's why the game is on Thursday.
If Mrs Purple goes she will have divided loyalties I think
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Minor league baseball may be like NCAA tournaments, where once post season starts , there are less "dog and pony shows" even for host team.
A couple years ago when LU was in running to host playoff game in football, I found out that there would be some changes in gameday operations.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Varsity. Should be a huge crowd. Has potential to be one of best high school games of the year in the area. By virtue of it being on Thursday, high school fans from all over can attend, then go to their favorite school's game Friday night.
Don't forget, Appomattox County only has around 15,000 residents. I doubt that the attendance will be in the huge range unless half of the entire county shows up.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Varsity. Should be a huge crowd. Has potential to be one of best high school games of the year in the area. By virtue of it being on Thursday, high school fans from all over can attend, then go to their favorite school's game Friday night.
Don't forget, Appomattox County only has around 15,000 residents. I doubt that the attendance will be in the huge range unless half of the entire county shows up.
They will
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Darn, I was hoping this was another thread about LU buying up more Lynchburg property.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:There's plenty of parking. The Hillcats draw flies in the playoffs. No promotions = no attendance. Usually just a few hundred diehards there. Sad reality of minor-league baseball.
Probably true, but I still made money during the playoffs working in the "bar," that they have (or had) though.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, the folks that showed up are the ones that truly cared about the baseball. It was weird. I thought the crowds of 800 for the playoffs were louder than the crowds of 4,000 where more than half weren't really engaged in the game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have been to minor league games where 75% of the crowd did not know anything about baseball. I wish all stadiums would reserve a special section for real baseball fans, so that they can be shielded from the non-baseball folks.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have been to minor league games where 75% of the crowd did not know anything about baseball. I wish all stadiums would reserve a special section for real baseball fans, so that they can be shielded from the non-baseball folks.
:oldhag
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]