This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Top 5 replacement options:

1. Mellow Mushroom
2. Why did I say 5?
MM usually moves into old downtown buildings or builds their own. Not sure that building fits their style.
The only one I've seen in an old downtown building is the one in Carytown in Richmond.

They're building a new building across from the old UKrops in Roanoke. Gatlinburg's is a stand alone and I think the one in VA Beach is a stand alone too.

Those are the only ones I can think of, so, maybe you're right. I've just only seen the one in Carytown that fits your description.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

1. Mellow Mushroom
2. Why did I say 5?
MM usually moves into old downtown buildings or builds their own. Not sure that building fits their style.
The only one I've seen in an old downtown building is the one in Carytown in Richmond.

They're building a new building across from the old UKrops in Roanoke. Gatlinburg's is a stand alone and I think the one in VA Beach is a stand alone too.

Those are the only ones I can think of, so, maybe you're right. I've just only seen the one in Carytown that fits your description.
Maybe I'm just thinking of the NC locations I've been to in Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Asheville. We didn't have them down in southwest Florida, so I just assumed there were a lot of them in downtown buildings.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

1. Mellow Mushroom
2. Why did I say 5?

The Greenville SC location is in an old downtown building.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
So is the Charleston, SC location.

Not sure the Ruby's building is big enough to be a Red Robin. Each one I've been to (Charlottesville, Frederick) has been huge. And both are in close proximity to/inside a mall.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:So is the Charleston, SC location.

Not sure the Ruby's building is big enough to be a Red Robin. Each one I've been to (Charlottesville, Frederick) has been huge. And both are in close proximity to/inside a mall.
Wouldn't be surprised to see one of these in the new section of the mall that replaces Sears
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We have a freestanding Red Robin not far from my parents' house and its footprint isn't too terribly beyond the footprint of that Ruby Tuesday's
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Maybe not the right thread, but I didn't want to steal Fifth & Federal's thunder.

Two new local restaurants opening soon featured in the paper today.

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lync ... ff3dd.html
Lynchburg soon will have two more new restaurants to choose from, both specializing in American food. Bootleggers will be located downtown on the Bluffwalk and Iron & Ale will open in Cornerstone off Greenview Drive.
The building for Iron & Ale is going up real slow, but it's going to be huge. On the down side, the Auburnlea market right next to it has closed, which kind of disrupts what they're trying to do over there in Cornerstone.

Bootleggers will be a nice addition to the already-mentioned Fifth & Federal as new bourbon bars. I've been watching the construction and it looks like it's going to be a really neat spot.

Not mentioned in the article is a new place I've been trying to tell everyone I know about. The Water Dog (www.thewaterdog.com) down on Jefferson St is awesome. They specialize in oysters and craft beer, but they have specialty grilled cheeses & tacos, among other things, as well. And fried pickles (spears, not chips). And they have different food specials each weeknight. There's a new ice cream place right next door, and an Irish coffee house across the street as well.

It's great having some new options in town, finally.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
That sounds pretty awesome. Lynchburg's downtown is perfect for something like this. I'm loving the downtown revivals that are happening. Downtown Winston-Salem and Greensboro were always avoided when I was younger, but they're now destinations. Really hoping downtown High Point gets revitalized soon.
By Jonathan Carone
adam42381 wrote:That sounds pretty awesome. Lynchburg's downtown is perfect for something like this. I'm loving the downtown revivals that are happening. Downtown Winston-Salem and Greensboro were always avoided when I was younger, but they're now destinations. Really hoping downtown High Point gets revitalized soon.
Winston started getting revived right as I left for college. I go back now and wish I had that growing up.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
adam42381 wrote:That sounds pretty awesome. Lynchburg's downtown is perfect for something like this. I'm loving the downtown revivals that are happening. Downtown Winston-Salem and Greensboro were always avoided when I was younger, but they're now destinations. Really hoping downtown High Point gets revitalized soon.
Winston started getting revived right as I left for college. I go back now and wish I had that growing up.
I am in WS every week. I am always by Hanes Valley mall. I need to get downtown
By Jonathan Carone
It's Hanes Mall, but yes, you do. You'd like it.

Some friends of mine just planted a church in Winston. They're meeting in an historical black church off MLK. That area is being revitalized like crazy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It's Hanes Mall, but yes, you do. You'd like it.

Some friends of mine just planted a church in Winston. They're meeting in an historical black church off MLK. That area is being revitalized like crazy.
I just think Underwear! Ha. I'll give it a try when it warms up. I'm always open to dining suggestions. I'm hooked on PF Changs at the moment so I need to 'go local'
By Jonathan Carone
My brother told me there's a new hot chicken place downtown that's really good. So there's that.

An old hole in the wall that's great is Putter's. It's by the LJVM, not downtown though.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
A few of our favorite Winston-Salem non-chain restaurants over the years:
BBQ - Bibb's (Fifth Street downtown), Honky Tonk Pig (Jonestown Road)
Pizza - Burke Street (two locations - Burke Street and Robinhood/Peace Haven)
Hot Dog - Dairi-O (actually a local chain), now a couple in W-S, Clemmonsville Road I think
Lunch - Carving Board (Stratford Road), Salem Kitchen (Miller Street)
Different - Sweet Potatoes (Trade Street, downtown)
Fancier - Village Tavern (Reynolda Road, and one near Hanes Mall), River Birch Lodge (Robinhood)
By Jonathan Carone
Burke Street Pizza is delicious.

Dairi-O started in King which is where I'm from. The original was a tiny white building you had to walk up to. I'll eat there at least once and probably get a milkshake at least once while I'm home for Thanksgiving.

Village Tavern is a nice date restaurant.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:A few of our favorite Winston-Salem non-chain restaurants over the years:
BBQ - Bibb's (Fifth Street downtown), Honky Tonk Pig (Jonestown Road)
Pizza - Burke Street (two locations - Burke Street and Robinhood/Peace Haven)
Hot Dog - Dairi-O (actually a local chain), now a couple in W-S, Clemmonsville Road I think
Lunch - Carving Board (Stratford Road), Salem Kitchen (Miller Street)
Different - Sweet Potatoes (Trade Street, downtown)
Fancier - Village Tavern (Reynolda Road, and one near Hanes Mall), River Birch Lodge (Robinhood)
I'll try Bibbs. I did Honky Tonk and it was ok
I agree with Dairi O
I need a good lunch place so Carving Board just made my list.
Village Tavern was nice. So was Bleu
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Dairi-O tip:

Rainbow sherbet milkshake with Sierra Mist instead of milk.
BOOM
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Burke Street Pizza is delicious.

Dairi-O started in King which is where I'm from. The original was a tiny white building you had to walk up to. I'll eat there at least once and probably get a milkshake at least once while I'm home for Thanksgiving.

Village Tavern is a nice date restaurant.
There's a new Dairi-O location about 5 minutes from my house. They have great hotdogs. Another recommendation for Winston is a Tex-Mex place a couple miles from downtown called The Porch. It's kind of a hipster spot, but the food is solid.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]