This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Should I feel bad that I thought this chain died years ago?

Not really...course I wasn't expecting that to follow my post about a friend passing away but it is what it is

Seriously, beej...

:dontgetit
Last edited by thepostman on August 16th, 2016, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Should I feel bad that I thought this chain died years ago?

Not really...course I wasn't expecting that to follow my post about a friend passing away but it is what it is

Seriously, beej...

:dontgetit
:gonefishin for sympathy
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not intentionally Jon...my friend Tina Woods actually worked the salad bar there before she passed away. I just thought the timing of Sly's post was a little funky but not disrespectful.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not fishing for sympathy either PH...just mentioning my personal connection to the now closed restaurant
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Well this took an unexpected turn.
With BJ what do you expect?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
None really...just offering my own context to the situation. When I read about the place closing, it triggered a memory that I thought Id share. It just so happened that Sly's response came right after my initial post.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Quiz Bowl team has eaten at the Ruby Tuesdays in Bedford, Farmville, and Charlottesville. Great salad bar for our vegetarian players.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Somehow the Ruby Tuesday's in Farmville is still open.
In the restaurant world, relevancy is very important. With the changing market and the new options that are springing up, RT is not so relevant in its current location. They are closing locations that have a dearth of competitors... Valley View Mall, Harrisonburg, Williamsburg (2014 closing)Wards Rd. etc. Less a commentary on the area than the offerings that the restaurant has. I just wonder what will fill that space.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
In the restaurant world, relevancy is very important. With the changing market and the new options that are springing up, RT is not so relevant in its current location. They are closing locations that have a dearth of competitors... Valley View Mall, Harrisonburg, Williamsburg (2014 closing)Wards Rd. etc. Less a commentary on the area than the offerings that the restaurant has. I just wonder what will fill that space.
Study
By Jonathan Carone
So what you're saying is Lynchburg already had a large enough amount of bland chain restaurants that Ruby Tuesday decided they didn't want to fight the competition for best blandness.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
In the restaurant world, relevancy is very important. With the changing market and the new options that are springing up, RT is not so relevant in its current location. They are closing locations that have a surfeit of competitors... Valley View Mall, Harrisonburg, Williamsburg (2014 closing)Wards Rd. etc. Less a commentary on the area than the offerings that the restaurant has. I just wonder what will fill that space.
Study
Ha...one beer too much! Surfeit would be the correct word, but too late now.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Did someone seriously just say Burger King was their #2 eatery in Lynchburg? Literally WTF?
What's wrong with Burger King ? BK has good food at decent price. I just wish there was one in Lynchburg closer to LU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Did someone seriously just say Burger King was their #2 eatery in Lynchburg? Literally WTF?
What's wrong with Burger King ? BK has good food at decent price. I just wish there was one in Lynchburg closer to LU.
Armpit of the fast food / quick service industry. Not to mention a creepy corporate mascot. And this from a guy who despises clowns!
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Top 5 replacement options:

1. Mellow Mushroom
2. Why did I say 5?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Top 5 replacement options:

1. Mellow Mushroom
2. Why did I say 5?
MM usually moves into old downtown buildings or builds their own. Not sure that building fits their style.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
They seem to like moving into nicer strip malls here in Texas.

What some of you refer to as bland chain food translates to secure investment with proven track record for others. Just factor that into your reaction when you see new places moving into town.
By Jonathan Carone
Wards Road is always going to be chain restaurant central. Every city has that strip of town. It's just some chains are better than others. The whole Applebee's/Ruby Tuesday/TGI Fridays/O'Charleys generation of chain foods just got outdated faster than others.

Chains that could work well:

Mellow Mushroom
Red Robin
Wild Wing Cafe (if BWW wasn't literally next door)
Tijuana Flats

I'm sure there are others but those four are what I thought of first.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
If they wanted to be accurate with their name, they would rebrand as Diarrhea King
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:What's wrong with Burger King ? BK has good food at decent price. I just wish there was one in Lynchburg closer to LU.
I don't like BK, but there is one closer. Much closer. Right across the street... Inside the Ward's Road Wal*Mart.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Wards Road is always going to be chain restaurant central. Every city has that strip of town. It's just some chains are better than others. The whole Applebee's/Ruby Tuesday/TGI Fridays/O'Charleys generation of chain foods just got outdated faster than others.

Chains that could work well:

Mellow Mushroom
Red Robin
Wild Wing Cafe (if BWW wasn't literally next door)
Tijuana Flats

I'm sure there are others but those four are what I thought of first.
I am hoping for RR in the burg... And I think they will come... but not to that location. RR likes to be in/near the mall. I bet RR will open when they tear down sears.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defeated […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]