This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
I was speaking with one of my long term clients today, hashing back and forth the game in 2017 between Baylor and LU. I came to discover that he never actually attended Baylor only his daughters. When asked if that was his official connection to the school, he stated NO. Apparently, he has been giving to Baylor for years and through a program they have called, “Alumni by Choice,” Baylor provides a certificate/diploma for those who donate at a certain level. I understand there’s no true academic or official accreditation with this piece of paper. However, he did say it is viewed as quite the honor to hold one.

As we are trying to extend out base beyond the Lynchburg area into a more national recognition, these types of clever programs would be great. Baylor has been doing this for years and has drawn in more and more support from those who now have something official from the school stating they except them as Alumni’s by Choice. If LU did something like this program, it may draw in more of those individuals who would like to have a closer relationship with the school but are past there college years (by choice) or who never went to college. It would allow them to be recognized by the school and continue to bring in more and more support.

Of course they would not be true Alumni but could be a separate classification with benefits and perks giving them the sense that they are part of the family.

Has anyone every thought of this at LU?
By Jonathan Carone
I see one big issue with this:

The president has said we have more money than we can spend.

Why would unaffiliated people give money to that?
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
Nice and true...but I believe your missing the point...

The donors would be those who WANT to be affiliated. Besides, why would you want to turn down money from those who simply want to support the school and mission.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUinPA wrote:Nice and true...but I believe your missing the point...

The donors would be those who WANT to be affiliated. Besides, why would you want to turn down money from those who simply want to support the school and mission.
LU has gone out of their way to turn down money
By Jonathan Carone
Jerry has said he doesn't love the idea of big donors because with donors comes the expectation of influence. That's why his focus has been on sustainable streams of income, not donations.
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
Let's clarify...

I wasn't thinking of "High End" donors but those who would be willing to drop yearly contributions similar to the sums at the top half of the Flames Club level. I'm confident there a business owners, families, and locals who consider LU there home town school, but may not be Alumni. When you make someone personally part of the institution and the vision, even on a surface and gimmick level, it develops a pride and support. Many of the BIG SCHOOL institutions have dedicated long terms fans and generational supporters who never even stepped foot on campus. Living in the Penn State circle of PA, there are those who simply follow the school but have no connection nor ever will be part of the family. It would be great to have individuals all across this country, be connected to LU without having to be here, online, parents or grandparents of students.
By Jonathan Carone
Couldn't they just be fans? Why does money have to be attached to it? Or if money is part of it, couldn't they just be Flames Club Members? I'm not trying to be flippant, just don't see the point in an unnecessary monetary campaign when the University doesn't want their money.

I'm a Carolina fan. I grew up in NC and never stepped foot on campus until earlier this year. I felt a connection to the school simply by being a fan.
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
I understand, and agree with your points. My priority in highlighting the topic was not for monetary gain to the school. It was to highlight an idea that would go beyond simple Alumni relations and or Flames Club supporters but bring those individuals who desire a closer connection with the school beyond a fan or paying for a ticket. I believe there are those out there who would like to have a connection and giving them a school they can call there own with the institution recognizing them with an official status.

Just an idea to extend beyond the typical approach. Besides if a large institution is using such an approach, it could be worth debating over.

As neither of us are part of the Alumni dept. then we can resort to the depth of the Blogosphere.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, we are a larger university than Baylor. They just were fortunate nearly a century ago to be in the right place at the right time with the Southwest Conference. Of course, having Dr. Pepper money and the proceeds of the sale of the Astros from Uncle Drayton certainly have helped them as well.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:For the record, we are a larger university than Baylor. They just were fortunate nearly a century ago to be in the right place at the right time with the Southwest Conference. Of course, having Dr. Pepper money and the proceeds of the sale of the Astros from Uncle Drayton certainly have helped them as well.
And Liberty was fortunate to have a huge life insurance policy on Jerry Sr. so they could pay off debts. Being in the right place at the right time with online education certainly helped as well.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If it isn't the University of Texas then it doesn't matter to sly. They are lucky to be in the same state as the longhorns!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:If it isn't the University of Texas then it doesn't matter to sly. They are lucky to be in the same state as the longhorns!
QFT
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]