This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Anyone know the truth behind rumors regarding 3% cuts in budgets, faculty layoffs and demotions ( Charle Spence was demoted???). I've seen major changes after SACS reviews before, so it wouldn't be a surprise.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I thought Charles Spence was an Untouchable? I would like to hear why LU is cutting back when they have more money than they can spend? Of course I e always been a big fan of investing in people instead of buildings but that's just me
By Jonathan Carone
There's a 3% budget cut across the board for every department*. Nasser also fired something like 50 people in the name of restructuring and new blood. Those people can apply for new positions but it's not guaranteed they'll get them.

* except marketing. We just put $40 million into tv marketing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:There's a 3% budget cut across the board for every department*. Nasser also fired something like 50 people in the name of restructuring and new blood. Those people can apply for new positions but it's not guaranteed they'll get them.

* except marketing. We just put $40 million into tv marketing.
Which means 48 of them will not
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
3% is not a huge amount. From what I understand, the Budget office no longer rolls up to the CFO. It now reports to the COO Randy Smith. The 3% cut likely has something to do with encouraging managers throughout the organization to cut some fluff from their budgets. There are also a good number of budget amendments that are requested every year. It's possible they are trying to offset those.

Also, I don't think it was Spence that was demoted. I think it was someone else in the Facilities/Maintenance organization that was demoted and moved under Spence. I could be wrong though...
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I thought Charles Spence was an Untouchable? I would like to hear why LU is cutting back when they have more money than they can spend? Of course I e always been a big fan of investing in people instead of buildings but that's just me
I think this is smart. Just because you have a lot of money now, doesn't mean you are guaranteed to have it later... Liberty is doing the the right thing and always needs to be looking at wasteful spending and best practices.
By Jonathan Carone
I'm totally good with the 3% budget cuts. I'm all for spending money the smartest way possible.

The Nasser stuff is a different story. I was a fan of that hire initially but after hearing story after story of him, it's easy to see how he gained the Nasshole nickname.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm totally good with the 3% budget cuts. I'm all for spending money the smartest way possible.

The Nasser stuff is a different story. I was a fan of that hire initially but after hearing story after story of him, it's easy to see how he gained the Nasshole nickname.
Cutting faculty positions is stupid. They already have an awful student/faculty ratio. One other question...why in the world does Nasser even have 50 people working for him?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm totally good with the 3% budget cuts. I'm all for spending money the smartest way possible.

Cutting faculty positions is stupid. They already have an awful student/faculty ratio. One other question...why in the world does Nasser even have 50 people working for him?
50 people? That's ridiculous.
Do they still require faculty to teach Online and On campus classes? I know several Majors that have a horrible Student - Prof ratio. That USED to be one of the draws of LU
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]