This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jlread
Registration Days Posts
I would like to cordially invite all of my fellow Liberty fans to our new place in town. I'm a liberty grad(B.S 2005, M.S 2012) that lives in the Lynchburg area. I have partnered up with 3 other guys and we're opening Fifth and Federal Station. Because I am a big Liberty fan, and have always wanted to enjoy some of the bigger Liberty games at a local establishment I plan to have the games on(even if I have to run it off my laptop to a big screen). Our menu will be Sophisticated Southern Fare and we are a whiskey bar with a large craft beer selection. If anyone has ever drove up 29 and stopped in at Toy Town Soul Food you may have met Ruffus (owner). They closed a little while back and we have the privilege of hiring him as our head chef/pit master. I hope everyone can make a trip by our place in the future. Don't want this to sound to much like a commercial but like is on facebook.. :D :football

https://m.facebook.com/fifthandfederal/ ... ef=m_notif
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wait? You are the guys from Toy Town?!?!? You had THE BEST RIBS EVER!!!
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
We have Hired Rufus he was the owner and BBQ/Culinary master mind behind the Ribs. We aspire to have the best ribs in Virginia.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jlread wrote:We have Hired Rufus he was the owner and BBQ/Culinary master mind behind the Ribs. We aspire to have the best ribs in Virginia.
Well if they are the same ribs I will be very very happy. And a loyal customer
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Congrats on the venture!
Oh. There will be a review within a week. Ha
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
My wife and I were just talking about all the restaurants opening this summer. Fifth and Federal was on the top of our list. Huge fan of sipping high-quality bourbons! I'm glad to know there's LU behind this place!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:My wife and I were just talking about all the restaurants opening this summer. Fifth and Federal was on the top of our list. Huge fan of sipping high-quality bourbons! I'm glad to know there's LU behind this place!
Bourbon schmourbon. If the BBQ is like Soul Brothers/Toy Town they could serve water and id be happy!
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Bourbon is a high quality ingredient to add to bbq sauces that go on ribs. Maybe you like yours dry though... I like mine sloppy. Maybe I'm just a more refined southerner than you are though. :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
May have to drop by next time Im in town...I enjoy a good rack or half rack of ribs on occasion
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
Will have a signature bourbon BBQ sauce as well as about 6-8 other house made sauces. Our goal is to offer a wide variety of options both on the food and drink menu. So if you like your ribs as humble op stated "classic sloppy southern style" will have it but if your more of the adventurous type and Like sweet smoke'n hot chilly sauce we can accommodate. Rufus has smoked BBQ all up and down the east coast and really knows his stuff and is more of a traditionalist. I personally like the more exotic flavors with my BBQ but can appreciate all styles(we make a good combination). A few of my personal favorites will be on the menu as well... Virginia Cuban-house smoked ham, pulled pork, and house smoked pig belly with our S.C style mustard sauce and pickles on a pressed roll. Hog town hamburger(Named after Madison Heights of course) 50/50 (beaf/bacon) patty with house smoked bacon and our house made Baconaise(a mayo infused w/bacon), topped off with our bacon bourbon jam , and pulled pork ....house smoked cheddar optional...
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
Hope to open later this summer. One thing that all 4 of the partners have put some focus into is the history of our region. Lynchburg has a ton of that to offer if you search hard enough. We found an Old bar top from a gas station in Amherst that was built in 1850 and were putting that in there. We've cut the nose off of a 1958 chevy pickup restored it and will be sticking it in the back bar area. There were 7 whiskey distilleries in Lynchburg prior to the prohibition so we plan to use some of those names in our drinks menu etc. it been a fun project.
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
BTW I know Jerry Sr. always joked about his family being in the moonshine business back in the day so if anyone has a lead on super cool really old Lynchburg Pictures of stuff like that please hook me up!! That would be awesome to hang on the wall at the new place.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
jlread wrote:I would like to cordially invite all of my fellow Liberty fans to our new place in town. I'm a liberty grad(B.S 2005, M.S 2012) that lives in the Lynchburg area. I have partnered up with 3 other guys and we're opening Fifth and Federal Station. Because I am a big Liberty fan, and have always wanted to enjoy some of the bigger Liberty games at a local establishment I plan to have the games on(even if I have to run it off my laptop to a big screen). Our menu will be Sophisticated Southern Fare and we are a whiskey bar with a large craft beer selection. If anyone has ever drove up 29 and stopped in at Toy Town Soul Food you may have met Ruffus (owner). They closed a little while back and we have the privilege of hiring him as our head chef/pit master. I hope everyone can make a trip by our place in the future. Don't want this to sound to much like a commercial but like is on facebook.. :D :football

https://m.facebook.com/fifthandfederal/ ... ef=m_notif
Congrats on the new venture!! Look forward to trying you out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jlread wrote:Will have a signature bourbon BBQ sauce as well as about 6-8 other house made sauces. Our goal is to offer a wide variety of options both on the food and drink menu. So if you like your ribs as humble op stated "classic sloppy southern style" will have it but if your more of the adventurous type and Like sweet smoke'n hot chilly sauce we can accommodate. Rufus has smoked BBQ all up and down the east coast and really knows his stuff and is more of a traditionalist. I personally like the more exotic flavors with my BBQ but can appreciate all styles(we make a good combination). A few of my personal favorites will be on the menu as well... Virginia Cuban-house smoked ham, pulled pork, and house smoked pig belly with our S.C style mustard sauce and pickles on a pressed roll. Hog town hamburger(Named after Madison Heights of course) 50/50 (beaf/bacon) patty with house smoked bacon and our house made Baconaise(a mayo infused w/bacon), topped off with our bacon bourbon jam , and pulled pork ....house smoked cheddar optional...
I want whatever he used at Soul Brothers. Tell me what that is and I'm ordering it!
May I recommend a burger with the following:
Cheddar
Bacon Bourbon Jam
Egg
Peanut Butter
Mayo
Very. Very tasty. You can name it after me. I have a similar one named after me in Bristol
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:You had me until the peanut butter. Replace that with pickled beet root and you have yourself a quality burger Kiwi-style.
You would think the PB wouldn't be good. So did I. Until I tried it. Yummy. Especially with that bacon jam First time I had something like that was Vegas and it was awesome. The one in Bristol uses Maple Bacon and puts the PB on a grilled bun so it melts some. Decadent
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
This place sounds right up my alley. We may have to take a road trip once you guys open. I love me some high quality bourbon (splash of water) along with craft beer. Oh, and ribs. If you can manage to have a Pappy flight that doesn't make me feel like I took out a mortgage, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:This place sounds right up my alley. We may have to take a road trip once you guys open. I love me some high quality bourbon (splash of water) along with craft beer. Oh, and ribs. If you can manage to have a Pappy flight that doesn't make me feel like I took out a mortgage, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
If the ribs are like the ones from Soul Brothers it will be well worth the trip. I stake my Foodie Reputation on it. I need an opening date so I can circle it on my calendar
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
Hope to be open by August. I'll keep Ya posted on time as we get closer. Yeah Rufus makes the best stuff on planet earth. We got lucky when he landed on our roster!!! We were doing a menu building session a few weeks back and He made us Mac and Cheese using a Blue Cheese Béchamel sauce topped with a bacon crumble :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: insanely amazing!!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jlread wrote:Hope to be open by August. I'll keep Ya posted on time as we get closer. Yeah Rufus makes the best stuff on planet earth. We got lucky when he landed on our roster!!! We were doing a menu building session a few weeks back and He made us Mac and Cheese using a Blue Cheese Béchamel sauce topped with a bacon crumble :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: insanely amazing!!
If you need help sampling........
By jlread
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Counting on it.

jlread - Please tell me that the hype on FlameFans led your team to Ruffus. :mrgreen:
Haha no Rufus was my mentor of BBQ back 9/10 years ago. I worked in Amherst and met him when he first opened up toy town and he sparked my interest and then every since then I've been smoking Q. Did a little bit with competition Q, and started catering as a side job/passion on the weekends and now........
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]