This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have been a huge fan of JR in the past, and his role in the universities current financial status should not be underestimated, going back to when his dad was still around, but he was already running most of the day to day operations and making major decisions. He is a gifted man. I am also disappointed in some recent decisions and the apparent ego trip he has been on of late. Hopefully something will happen to take him down a notch or 2 and get a dose of humility. If not, I would hope enough others on the board will grow a pair and do what is needed. I really hope it never comes to that, but if it did we could do a whole lot worse than Mark DeMoss in looking for new leadership.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I have been a huge fan of JR in the past, and his role in the universities current financial status should not be underestimated, going back to when his dad was still around, but he was already running most of the day to day operations and making major decisions. He is a gifted man. I am also disappointed in some recent decisions and the apparent ego trip he has been on of late. Hopefully something will happen to take him down a notch or 2 and get a dose of humility. If not, I would hope enough others on the board will grow a pair and do what is needed. I really hope it never comes to that, but if it did we could do a whole lot worse than Mark DeMoss in looking for new leadership.
Well said. Jr. has never come across as a humble guy, but his ego has gotten out of control lately. Time to rein him in before it's too late.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
lol at people being embarassed telling people they went to LU. its says more about you than your college choice. I have things i like about liberty and things i don't. Jr has turned the place into a force. I live in the professional world that involves speaking to other professionals, whether they've gotten business degrees or mba's and major state universities or other well known business institutions, my resume speaks for itself and i am perfectly capable of telling people who would say "whats it like having a curfew" to politely shove it. while the business program had flaws, discussions with my friends quickly helps me realize our education came from doers and not typical business professors who have lived in the world of theory their entire lives.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:I chortle audibly. at people being embarassed telling people they went to LU. its says more about you than your college choice. I have things i like about liberty and things i don't. Jr has turned the place into a force. I live in the professional world that involves speaking to other professionals, whether they've gotten business degrees or mba's and major state universities or other well known business institutions, my resume speaks for itself and i am perfectly capable of telling people who would say "whats it like having a curfew" to politely shove it. while the business program had flaws, discussions with my friends quickly helps me realize our education came from doers and not typical business professors who have lived in the world of theory their entire lives.
QFT (though I was a COMS major)
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:I chortle audibly. at people being embarassed telling people they went to LU. its says more about you than your college choice. I have things i like about liberty and things i don't. Jr has turned the place into a force. I live in the professional world that involves speaking to other professionals, whether they've gotten business degrees or mba's and major state universities or other well known business institutions, my resume speaks for itself and i am perfectly capable of telling people who would say "whats it like having a curfew" to politely shove it. while the business program had flaws, discussions with my friends quickly helps me realize our education came from doers and not typical business professors who have lived in the world of theory their entire lives.
It says that I'm embarrassed to have gone to a school that's constantly making headlines for all the wrong reasons. I'll own the fact that I'm not proud of my alma mater.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
What else would you expect from adam? I'm just surprised he hasn't mailed his diploma back in. It's been nothing but a positive for me and each of my 3 roommates from school spanning 3 different programs. I agree it seems Jr has gone a little over the top recently but I'm by no means ashamed of the school. You guys should have attended a real left wing school so you could have been proud of every move they make.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Countdown to a name change on one of our central campus buildings? Jk.

I HATE to see this. Mr. Demoss has served this university well for many years and he has defended both the University and the Falwell family in many PR nightmares of just this sort. I wish him the best and scratch my head as we step in yet another TOTALLY AVOIDABLE quagmire of bad press.

This election cycle left us with nothing but bad choices. None of these candidates were worth staking a personal or professional reputation on. Smh...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Countdown to a name change on one of our central campus buildings? Jk.

I HATE to see this. Mr. Demoss has served this university well for many years and he has defended both the University and the Falwell family in many PR nightmares of just this sort. I wish him the best and scratch my head as we step in yet another TOTALLY AVOIDABLE quagmire of bad press.

This election cycle left us with nothing but bad choices. None of these candidates were worth staking a personal or professional reputation on. Smh...
I get your point, but of course the building is named after Mark's father Art DeMoss. The family paid for it (and a lot of other things back when finances were really tight). Even if Jr. were vindictive enough to try, I have a feeling there were "naming rights" involved, and there would at best be a messy legal battle. I am not yet in the "ashamed of my degree" camp, but if that were to happen, I might join it.

OK, I'm a little slow and just realized the Jk meant you were joking. I have to say that Mark deserved better. For a long time you could make the argument that he was closer to Doc and a more trusted aide and advisor than anyone other than Macel.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
It says that I'm embarrassed to have gone to a school that's constantly making headlines for all the wrong reasons. I'll own the fact that I'm not proud of my alma mater.
i'd be embarassed you thought a christian university would ever make positive headlines in this world. Liberty university does alot of great things for a lot of people that will forever go uncared by and unnoticed by the agenda driven media. if you choose to focus on the negative you'll never be happy. you care too much what people think.
By Jonathan Carone
I'm extremely proud of what my school stands for and what its students are doing to impact the world.

I'm embarrassed by how the leadership in many different areas of the school have been conducting business and doing things over the past 12 months.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm extremely proud of what my school stands for and what its students are doing to impact the world.

I'm embarrassed by how the leadership in many different areas of the school have been conducting business and doing things over the past 12 months.
This.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm extremely proud of what my school stands for and what its students are doing to impact the world.

This.
+1

I love the school's mission and the heart of the students and a lot of the faculty. The leadership is a different story.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts

Yep, but I would dare say that this isn't something new over the past 12 months.
By LUaddict
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:

Yep, but I would dare say that this isn't something new over the past 12 months.
I went though all of the self-hating issues for many years due to the JF Senior comments after 9/11 and the other PR fiascos we have had in the last 12 months as well. I have moved on and have gotten over some of the "embarrassment" due to responses of others I have met. I have never doubted the quality of instruction and faculty at LU, I speak for myself, I feel that I received a solid education. This institution provides more than a legitimate education for this young men and women who keep applying and attending LU year after year.

The leadership from JFjr and the nepotism and terrible PR displays are exasperating and tiresome. I feel that Mark was giving the alumni a voice. It wouldn't of mattered because knowing JFjr's arrogance its obvious that it fell on deaf ears. The board needs to get rid of this joker as President, there are perfectly qualified President candidates that can do great things at this university for our future expansion and growth. This "special talent" is not relegated only JFjr because of the growth we have had under him.

Just because LU is a Christian institution with our values, not everyone is going to support them, it doesn't mean that leadership needs to make LU look like a factory churning out uneducated and biggoted Indivudals. For the supporters think JFjr can and has done no wrong, take off the rose colored glasses, and get out the bubble. This is not an angry comment, this is an honest opinion from a loyal and LU alum &supporter, regardless of my frank response.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just curious. What role does Pat Robertson play at Regent?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Just curious. What role does Pat Robertson play at Regent?

Potentate
:clapping look who's got jokes!

Funny I haven't seen him at any of the conventions though :dontgetit
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]