This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

The VHSL will vote on May 5th, to move VHSL state football championship games to W & M, and spring sports to Salem. I hope this vote fails. LU is the best venue in the state for VHSL .
W and M isn't a bad choice. Williamsburg has the hotel rooms and 'stuff to do'. Plus the history of the school is pretty cool
Purple Haize wrote:W and M isn't a bad choice. Williamsburg has the hotel rooms and 'stuff to do'. Plus the history of the school is pretty cool
Agreed. The only negative is its not centrally located.
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:W and M isn't a bad choice. Williamsburg has the hotel rooms and 'stuff to do'. Plus the history of the school is pretty cool
Agreed. The only negative is its not centrally located.
True. But it's much easier to say 'Hey lets go to the State Tournament and spend a few days in Williamsburg.' Than say the same thing but end it in Lynchburg
I rather spend 5 minutes in Lynchburg than 5 hours in Williamsburg. Lynchburg has no traffic problem. Getting to W&M isn't a drive on the parkway. Attendance will go down if they move to W&M. (unless some Williamsburg area school is playing)
ballcoach15 wrote:I rather spend 5 minutes in Lynchburg than 5 hours in Williamsburg. Lynchburg has no traffic problem. Getting to W&M isn't a drive on the parkway. Attendance will go down if they move to W&M. (unless some Williamsburg area school is playing)
Yeah that's just utterly false. Williamsburg is a great area.
As someone who is from the Hampton Roads area...I agree with H_O. To assume that...you would have to be a complete moron, grossly uninformed or both to make that kind of a stretch. I can tell you first off that Hampton Roads will absolutely show out if a team from that area makes the finals in a sport, especially football. Second, while its not centrally located, its in an area that is still easily accessible to everywhere in the state. Not to mention, you have plenty of rooms in Hampton and Newport News as well as Williamsburg to accommodate the number of people that would be arriving. I mean I like that LU has been able to host VHSL events and think that they are throwing out the baby with the bathwater by doing this, I would have no qualms about state championships being only about an hour from my house.
ballcoach15 wrote:I rather spend 5 minutes in Lynchburg than 5 hours in Williamsburg. Lynchburg has no traffic problem. Getting to W&M isn't a drive on the parkway. Attendance will go down if they move to W&M. (unless some Williamsburg area school is playing)
That makes one. 99 other people (myself included) would rather spend 5 minutes in Williamsburg than 5 hours in Lynchburg. W-Burg also has no traffic problems (unless you're trying to get to South Hampton Roads or Busch Gardens). I never had any problems getting to W&M's historic and beautiful campus. Oh yeah...and as I established earlier, traffic problems aside, W&M is close to many great attractions including Busch Gardens as well as short hop away to the beach.
W&M is the second oldest college in America and the oldest college in the South. Visiting there is a history lesson in itself; plus, the city of Williamsburg (and nearby VB) is a wonderful vacation destination.
Go down to the beach before the game. You will miss kick off because you will be stuck in traffic at the tunnel. My job takes me down to Hampton Roads area a couple or 3 times a year. Traffic is terrible.

I am been to Williamsburg once in my lifetime. I left Hampton and forgot to fill gas tank. I got 0ff I-64 in Williamsburg to get gas. 45 minutes later I was back on I-64. Traffic was terrible.

I rather spend 10 minutes on top of the LU logo on the mountain, looking down on campus, than spend any amount of time in Williamsburg.
Ballcoach, so you have never even been to the campus of the College of William and Mary, which sets on the edge of Colonial Williamsburg?
No, I have never been to W&M, and I doubt if I will ever go. I do not like the Colonial Athletic Conference or any of their schools. They shafted LU out of a playoff spot in football a few years back.
They, the CAA shafted LU? Lol... dude the CAA didn't decide to send one of it's teams to the FCS playoffs over LU. Come on now.

I know the 757. You're right about traffic at certain points of the day, especially around the HRBT and the Monitor-Merrimac. In and around W&M though, you don't have those issues. Plus, there is great shopping just a few minutes away with the outlet malls, tons of good eating and the lodging is just as good as what you will find here in LU. Yes, if you plan to take a trip to the Beach (May 28-Sept 1) expect traffic (esp. on Saturdays w/ people trying to go to the OBX). However, who needs the beach when you have Water Country USA and BG right nearby??
If I were to end up going down there for the VHSL state championship games, I would go straight to stadium, watch games and come home. I not go to any other place down there. I think most fans would do same thing. Fans usually disappear after their team plays.
ballcoach15 wrote:If I were to end up going down there for the VHSL state championship games, I would go straight to stadium, watch games and come home. I not go to any other place down there. I think most fans would do same thing. Fans usually disappear after their team plays.
Depends on where the game is at. Celebrating a great season by hitting BG or going to the beach is a great thing
Not everyone is as anti social as you. They actually tailgate and have social fun
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If I were to end up going down there for the VHSL state championship games, I would go straight to stadium, watch games and come home. I not go to any other place down there. I think most fans would do same thing. Fans usually disappear after their team plays.
Depends on where the game is at. Celebrating a great season by hitting BG or going to the beach is a great thing
Not everyone is as anti social as you. They actually tailgate and have social fun
Careful PH. You might attract Kiwon to this thread. :roll:
Purple Haize wrote:
I don't think too many will be going to BG or the Beach in December when football championships are held.
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I don't think too many will be going to BG or the Beach in December when football championships are held.
You never know!
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Christmas town at BG is pretty awesome
I'm not sure they make Speedos in Purple's size. :nono
flamehunter wrote:You are the exception to every rule PH. You probably keep a Speedo in the glove box year round, don't you? :shock:
Is that wrong? Because I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on that one. Play Basketball
^ And there is never any traffic. :wink:
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]