This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
didn't feel like searching for this...

from a WaPo article

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/n ... 633af.html
Northern Virginia students boycott state debate tourney at Liberty University
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 7:02 pm
The Washington Post

Several Northern Virginia high school debate teams said they will boycott the state championships at Liberty University, whose president, Jerry Falwell Jr., made a speech in December that many saw as threatening to Muslims.

Debate coaches and students have been lobbying the Virginia High School League, the nonprofit that oversees state interscholastic sports and academic competitions, to move the state championship to another location.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Those liberals should stay in Northern Virginia. While they may have "book sense", they have no common sense. LU is probably the safest university in the nation.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
The typical inconsistencies here are all too predictable.

I don't think these kids would have fared too well in the tournament.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I can sit here and critique the ignorant thought that occurs on the other side of the ideological spectrum for a full day and still not have enough time to scratch the surface. It's sheer ignorance and I would be willing to bet that there are plenty of folks in the VHSL, on down to the very students that participate in VHSL sponsored events that feel the same.

However, instead of calling out the obvious though and maybe play the victim the right way for once, we have to go and essentially attack the VHSL. JLFJR is right... we probably don't receive much of a direct financial benefit from having the VHSL hold events on our campus. There are other intrinsic benefits though that can translate into real dollars, however, while also boosting the profile and standing of the school amongst the specific types of demographics we hope to attract as paying customers every August. Is this not something we should be attempting to do? But no, we have to get down in the mud and outdo the ignorance of the PC crowd just to make sure everyone knows we are still anti-PC. I don't understand it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think having VHSL events on Campus can help recruiting. Very few colleges have a campus as nice in all facets as LU. I believe I have been on every D1 campus in the state. No other school in the state has a campus as nice as LU, all things considered.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think having VHSL events on Campus can help recruiting. Very few colleges have a campus as nice in all facets as LU. I believe I have been on every D1 campus in the state. No other school in the state has a campus as nice as LU, all things considered.
UVA?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My sister went to UVA...it has some nice spots (especially The Lawn) but there are some areas that weren't exactly something to write home about.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote: No other school in the state has a campus as nice as LU, all things considered.
UVA?
UVa is one of my 4 alma maters, and I love it there, but I love comparing LU's campus to there when talking to prospective students and their families. Four examples about how parts of UVa seem like a third world country:

1. their visitor's center is a former gas station.
2. their high rise freshman dorms don't even have air conditioning.
3. the lawn dorms don't even have bathroom or showers.
4. their historic classroom buildings on the lawn still have blackboards and chalk.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
It's lame to boycott, but I honestly don't blame any Muslim for being hesitant to step foot on campus.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote: No other school in the state has a campus as nice as LU, all things considered.
UVA?
UVa is one of my 4 alma maters, and I love it there, but I love comparing LU's campus to there when talking to prospective students and their families. Four examples about how parts of UVa seem like a third world country:

1. their visitor's center is a former gas station.
2. their high rise freshman dorms don't even have air conditioning.
3. the lawn dorms don't even have bathroom or showers.
4. their historic classroom buildings on the lawn still have blackboards and chalk.
While your points are true, 3 and 4 are part of the allure. They definitely aren't a deterrent. The Lawn dorms are highly sought after each year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The Lawn is for the elite of the elite students there. I wouldn't call it a drawback necessarily. That said there still are aspects that do take away from the aesthetic.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
UVA is a dump compared to LU. Heck their football locker room/weight room is a mile from the stadium. Their athletic facilities are spread out across Charlottesville.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:UVA is a dump compared to LU. Heck their football locker room/weight room is a mile from the stadium. Their athletic facilities are spread out across Charlottesville.
Their gameday locker room leads directly onto the field.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
hey lets not let facts stand in the way of argument here

it would be a first
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I carried 2 players to UVA about 3 years ago on recruiting visit. I toured all the Hoos facilities . Granted game day locker room is in stadium but their "FOC" is a mile across town. Their practice fields are a mile from stadium, along with the support facilities.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I carried 2 players to UVA about 3 years ago on recruiting visit. I toured all the Hoos facilities . Granted game day locker room is in stadium but their "FOC" is a mile across town. Their practice fields are a mile from stadium, along with the support facilities.
Which makes sense because the practice on the practice fields.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]