This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
1. Drove through campus one evening. didn't even recognize the place. crazy. next time i need to schedule a tour or some crap.

2. Cookout the hype was justified. really good. really cheap.

3. hit t-room and teryaki house still real good.

4. i totally forgot how bad lynchburg is at pizza. we went to waterstone i believe. and it was ok. i asked for a whitesauce pepperoni and the waitress kind of eyeballed me like "you want what?"... she said they were well known for their pizzas with pesto on them or thai food. i'm like, lets just stick with the basics here. then i'll see if you can graduate to putting chinese food on my pizza.

all in all, the city has grown leaps and bounds...pretty neat.

still hate driving in the mountains though. was happy to be back on flat land.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Next time, hit up HMO to set up a tour. It is literally easy to get lost on a campus we all knew like the back of our hand once upon a time.

Countdown to Proto updating you on better pizza options in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Waterstone's thai pizza is pretty solid.

Looking forward to arosto to show up near my house eventually after they closed the Ward's road location. Trio in Forest has decent personal pizzas.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Rivermont Pizza is far and away my favorite. Waterstone was nice, but only because they had their own brewery (Jefferson Street). I have since found out that Jefferson Street shut down back in January... Waterstone's pizza isn't enough to make me choose their establishment over Rivermont.

I had Trio and was unimpressed. Food was okay, but our service was terrible.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I agree about the service at Trio. I give new places a little bit of leeway as they figure things out. Brauburger was awful at service when they first opened but have improved dramatically.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Rivermont is far and away better than Waterstone. I'm biased as heck since a friend owns it and a lot of my friends work there, but they're incomparable when it comes to pie.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:Yeah, I agree about the service at Trio. I give new places a little bit of leeway as they figure things out. Brauburger was awful at service when they first opened but have improved dramatically.
Brauburger needs a bigger building with more seating and an actual waiting area. I don't know how that place isn't breaking fire code on a Friday evening.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Has anybody been to the new Jimmy Johns? Decent subs and amazing pickles, but the place literally only had like 4 or 5 booths for seating. Another place where you better get it to go or eat standing up, which is a major turn off for an old guy.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:Yeah, I agree about the service at Trio. I give new places a little bit of leeway as they figure things out. Brauburger was awful at service when they first opened but have improved dramatically.
Brauburger needs a bigger building with more seating and an actual waiting area. I don't know how that place isn't breaking fire code on a Friday evening.
Out n the county, your lucky when a fire gets put out. I doubt the fire department spends much time checking for fire code violations!
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Two things we do not have here in Lynchburg: Pizza and Subs. PhillyHouse Subs is opening up down the street from me in the old Waffle House on Fort. Best pizza is Vito's in Amherst or Lovignston. It's the closest you're getting to legit pizza.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:Two things we do not have here in Lynchburg: Pizza and Subs. PhillyHouse Subs is opening up down the street from me in the old Waffle House on Fort. Best pizza is Vito's in Amherst or Lovignston. It's the closest you're getting to legit pizza.
You don't like Yellow Submarine?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
brauburger intrigued me until i found out they don't use fresh beef. i eat frozen beef all the time but don't come at me like you are something special when i'm about to spend near 15 bucks a person for a meal, that burger better be fresh.

so we went elsewhere.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
How did you hear that? Just curious, because I know the manager there and he told me they use all fresh, locally sourced beef. Then again, it's been seven months since I've been there and something may have changed.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
my source there could certainly be wrong but he's usually not wrong about that stuff. i looked at a menu and for a specialty burger i was 9 bucks in prior to fries, drink, and any appetizer.

i can hit up prime on premise ground chuck joints here and in bigger cities for that price.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:my source there could certainly be wrong but he's usually not wrong about that stuff. i looked at a menu and for a HIGH MAINTENANCE burger i was 9 bucks in prior to fries, drink, and any appetizer.

i can hit up prime on premise ground chuck joints here and in bigger cities for that price.
FIFY :)
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
they use the term "craft" which is horribly annoying.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
it does tick me off that you guys have a Rita's.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:Rivermont Pizza is far and away my favorite. Waterstone was nice, but only because they had their own brewery (Jefferson Street). I have since found out that Jefferson Street shut down back in January... Waterstone's pizza isn't enough to make me choose their establishment over Rivermont.

I had Trio and was unimpressed. Food was okay, but our service was terrible.
you insinuated that you enjoyed the brewery...paging Kiwon to commence the stoning :twisted:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:it does whiz me off that you guys have a Rita's.
And it's almost within walking distance from my house! :pbjtime
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
flamerbob wrote:Two things we do not have here in Lynchburg: Pizza and Subs. PhillyHouse Subs is opening up down the street from me in the old Waffle House on Fort. Best pizza is Vito's in Amherst or Lovignston. It's the closest you're getting to legit pizza.
You don't like Yellow Submarine?
I've tried it under both owners and I don't find it super tasty.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]