This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Interestingly, NC seems to have no problems growing their network of Interstate highways. I think the dependence on highways has declined in the last ten years due to people's fuel costs. Virginia has seen a decline in gas tax revenue over the same period, adding to the state's lack of appetite for infrastructure development.
By rhezick
rogers3 wrote:Interestingly, NC seems to have no problems growing their network of Interstate highways. I think the dependence on highways has declined in the last ten years due to people's fuel costs. Virginia has seen a decline in gas tax revenue over the same period, adding to the state's lack of appetite for infrastructure development.
Yea there seems to be quite the contrast between how the two states do things, and the results obtained. Heck, even just look at the population numbers of Richmond vs Charlotte since 1970. Very telling. But definitely is interesting. Never knew we were the largest city in VA without an interstate. Sad title I suppose.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Interestingly, NC seems to have no problems growing their network of Interstate highways. I think the dependence on highways has declined in the last ten years due to people's fuel costs. Virginia has seen a decline in gas tax revenue over the same period, adding to the state's lack of appetite for infrastructure development.
Yea there seems to be quite the contrast between how the two states do things, and the results obtained. Heck, even just look at the population numbers of Richmond vs Charlotte since 1970. Very telling. But definitely is interesting. Never knew we were the largest city in VA without an interstate. Sad title I suppose.
Be careful when comparing cities in VA and any other part of the country. In nearly every other state, actual cities can annex land and expand, but in VA they're independent and cannot expand their borders. Your point still stands and is valid, but its probably better to compare the metro areas as a whole rather than just the actual cities. Just wanted to throw that out there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Interstate 64 was supposed to go thru Lynchburg, but politics got involved and they ran it thru Charlottesville.

The thing that hurts Lynchburg, is the number of traffic lights on U.S. 29 north of Charlottesville. If I were Governor, I would order VDOT and the National Guard to remove everyone of them. This would open up a north-south trade and travel route thru Central Virginia. Heck, it would help most of the east coast.
U.S. 29 north of Charlottesville is a disgrace to the entire state.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Our beloved governor dropped the final hammer on the proposed C-ville bypass when he took office, IIRC. I don't think any thing will happen there any time soon. That was probably Lynchburg's best hope of having an interstate come through.
By rhezick
ATrain wrote:
rhezick wrote:
Be careful when comparing cities in VA and any other part of the country. In nearly every other state, actual cities can annex land and expand, but in VA they're independent and cannot expand their borders. Your point still stands and is valid, but its probably better to compare the metro areas as a whole rather than just the actual cities. Just wanted to throw that out there.
True, although more so because of the moratorium established in 87 on further annexation I believe but yes the metro would be a better indicator. The metro for both areas in the 70's were actually on par. Now, Richmond's metro stands at 44th (next to Raleigh-Cary) and Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia at 22nd. Heck Mecklenburg county is about as populous as the entirety of Richmond's MSA.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:He had to placate the locales that got him elected up north.
As far as I know, it was only Charlottesville people who were against the by-pass. NoVa and certainly this area were for it. And a lot of state money had been spent studying and planning it.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Perhaps another difference Richmond and Charlotte: NC revamped their banking laws in the 70's, so when federal deregulation came about, their banks bought Virginia banks. NC also had the foresight to create the Research Triangle which enabled the Raleigh region to surpass Richmond as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:We will never get a Costco until we get an interstate. <Hangs Head>
Hey. We were the first city in America to get a Cracker Barrel not located off an Interstate. Have faith!
There was also a time we were the largest city in America, not just Va, without an Interstate
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:We will never get a Costco until we get an interstate. <Hangs Head>
Hey. We were the first city in America to get a Cracker Barrel not located off an Interstate. Have faith!
There was also a time we were the largest city in America, not just Va, without an Interstate
That last one is a myth, kind of like how Demoss wasn't strong enough to support any weight on the 3rd and 4th floors.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Interstates are important because normally a large number of vehicles pass thru daily, and commerce is easier with interstates for tractor trailers carrying cargo.

I was once told that the huge Walmart Distribution Center near Petersburg would be in Lynchburg if we had an Interstate.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
That last one is a myth, kind of like how Demoss wasn't strong enough to support any weight on the 3rd and 4th floors.
things had to be reinforced when the decision was made to place brick all the way up. Someone still has the email somewhere
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]