This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone here have experience, or have a good knowledge base with mold problems in their home? I'm in Lynchburg in an older home that we've been slowly renovating, and I'm starting to think I may have some sort of issue with air quality, due to recurring coughs, etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I would get expert inspection immediately. Not only is mold a concern, but asbestos as well. I do not have experience with any local contractors or services, but have heard good things about ServPro and Kidds Restoration. I'm sure there are others as well.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I would get expert inspection immediately. Not only is mold a concern, but asbestos as well. I do not have experience with any local contractors or services, but have heard good things about ServPro and Kidds Restoration. I'm sure there are others as well.
Yeah that's what I've been reading about. I have a 4 yr old so it's particularly concerning to me. IG heard most companies will do a consult for free, but I've seen some pretty serious prices for remidiation/removal.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Asbestos is much bigger concern of the two. Mold remediation can be done by you if needed unless the situation is extremely advanced. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how easy it is.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Asbestos is much bigger concern of the two. Mold remediation can be done by you if needed unless the situation is extremely advanced. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how easy it is.
Yeah, I'm not sure asbestos is the issue though. We have been in the home for about 5 years now and I think the issues with that would have popped up sooner though I could be wrong.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Asbestos is much bigger concern of the two. Mold remediation can be done by you if needed unless the situation is extremely advanced. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how easy it is.
Yeah, I'm not sure asbestos is the issue though. We have been in the home for about 5 years now and I think the issues with that would have popped up sooner though I could be wrong.
It's not an issue until you start to remove whatever has asbestos in it. It can be in the walls/plaster. It can be in flooring - they removed old floor tiles at work recently and found asbestos in the glue, not the tiles themselves. Another possibility is radon. Get that checked as well.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for the mold, check to see if you have moisture problems anywhere in house: Roof leaks, water entering in basement, poor windows that allow water to seep in.

As for asbestos , it is normally found on old pipe wraps in basements or crawl spaces. Also many old houses had asbestos siding in some areas.

Note: My line of work involves this stuff from time to time.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Well since other names have been suggested, I'd recommend a local company called SteamWay Restoration. Owned by several LU grads, they are one of the best (Central Health is one of their customers). I'll send you a PM.
Last edited by rogers3 on February 1st, 2016, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Well since other names have been suggested, I'd recommend a local company called SteamWay Restoration. Owner by several LU grads, they are one of the best (Central Health is one of their customers). I'll send you a PM.
Hey! I was the first one to drop your name! I'm loyal like that!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Well since other names have been suggested, I'd recommend a local company called SteamWay Restoration. Owner by several LU grads, they are one of the best (Central Health is one of their customers). I'll send you a PM.
Hey! I was the first one to drop your name! I'm loyal like that!
Yes you are!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:He's going to ask for a commission or referral fee in a sec.
I'm just repaying an advance he already gave me
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:He's going to ask for a commission or referral fee in a sec.
I'm just repaying an advance he already gave me
Always willing to make advance payments for good causes!
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Oh, so now I get how Purple funds his year long concert tours. I believe I had an uncle with a similar model back in the 30's in Brooklyn. His motto was "you gotta pay to play".
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]