This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Many of you guys need to put your big-girl panties on.

I have always been concerned about forces from the outside having undo influences on our university. Never thought I would see the day where the sissification and PC garbage would come from within.

BTW, Jr, did a great job on Hannity tonight. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
How is it PC to point out most campus shootings are done by non Muslims?
No one is saying ISIS etc isn't a threat. No one is saying we shouldn't be allowed to CC.
But to look at those statements and say you don't understand how people could think he meant All Muslims is drinking some serious sugar water :koolaid
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote: Oh trust me. Jr may be getting ripped in the media but he has gained an audience in my fire station. I chortle audibly. they loved it.
same from blue
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:How is it PC to point out most campus shootings are done by non Muslims?
No one is saying ISIS etc isn't a threat. No one is saying we shouldn't be allowed to CC.
But to look at those statements and say you don't understand how people could think he meant All Muslims is drinking some serious sugar water :koolaid
We have people drunk on the Kool Aid? Say it ain't so...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:How is it PC to point out most campus shootings are done by non Muslims?
We have people drunk on the Kool Aid? Say it ain't so...
Because drugs and alcohol are cool 8)
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
LUaddict wrote:There are many in the LU alumni base that are criticizing what President Falwell said and rightfully so, without clarification in his statements lends itself to interpretation by Muslims and others in the wider community in a negative light. The "teach' em a lesson if they ever show up here" also opens itself up to interpretation as a challenge as well. I feel that many understand what the intention was and so do I. I agree that we should be entitled to CCP, if trained correctly and obtain it through the proper channels.

But It is not about being liberal, overly-sensitive, or politically correct. I feel that it about an individual, who has a father who has past that is littered with scathing and judgmental remarks that has been blasted on national television without thinking through the long term consequences of those statements. Including the effect it would have on the university's reputation and credibility; including not thinking about how it would impact the alumni base (past, present, and future) outside the LU community. It has the potential to place alumni in uncomfortable situations with friends, family, and job prospects having to defend or explain why one choose to attend a university that has Presidents that invite controversy to this institution of higher learning. We are not being criticized so much by others because we are Christians or live a morally principled life through Christ, (even though Christians are judged and persecuted) but because of the PR blunders that are perpetuated by the last two university presidents and other university representatives (Matt Staver).

I am ashamed to have an Individual as arrogant and obtuse as JLFJR to be President of the world largest Christian university. Sure he made a mistake, but when you are an attorney and a President of a university; and do not have the foresight to think critically and analytically about delivering the statement he made, then he does not belong in position of trust and leadership as the President & Chancellor of Liberty University. I thought that these few years that maybe we would be turning a corner in advancement as a university after the remarks that DOC made after 9/11, but we continue to have individuals like JLF and JLFJR lead our institution into categories of bigotry and intolerance. Who knows, maybe time will heal all wounds and delivery a President who is worthy of being a President and Chancellor at LU.

I mean, seriously. Come on people.

To say JFJR is not fit to be the President of LU is absolutely absurd.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
At least now they are trying to spin it as a 'self protection ' comment and are not bringing up the Muslim part
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Apparently it wasn't so clear. This the issue. On first pass I thought he WAS talking about killing Muslims
When you listen to the media's soundbites, which are taken out of context most of the time, you tend to hear what they want you to hear. So yeah, of course you needed clarification. For those of us that actually remember the media's MO and decided to go back and listen to the whole thing before lambasting JFLJR on this comment specifically, it was rather easy to deduce whom he was talking about.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Apparently it wasn't so clear. This the issue. On first pass I thought he WAS talking about killing Muslims
When you listen to the media's soundbites, which are taken out of context most of the time, you tend to hear what they want you to hear. So yeah, of course you needed clarification. For those of us that actually remember the media's MO and decided to go back and listen to the whole thing before lambasting JFLJR on this comment specifically, it was rather easy to deduce whom he was talking about specifically within the muslim community and not the community as a whole.
Don't make assumptions. Personally I never followed the media's take and just watched the video not knowing what to expect.

What happened was embarrassing for a Christian leader in my opinion and not conducive to the school's mission. The fact that he is so full of pride to say he wouldn't change a word of how he communicated this was also disappointing.

Just because you weren't bothered by it doesn't mean others weren't. I would encourage a lot of you folks to consider empathy. It's pretty important in a productive society. We can still speak truths, but before doing so, need to consider how the message will be perceived so that when crafting our words there will be as few misunderstandings as possible. It's not about being PC. It's not about being liberal (eww). It's about being clear.

As I've gotten older I try to look at situations from my Christian goggles before anything else. I put that before Conservative,, Liberty Alum, American, Husband, Father, etc. So when I offer my opinion on what Jr said, it's through my glasses as a Christian first and foremost. That will always trump everything else.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
LUaddict wrote:There are many in the LU alumni base that are criticizing what President Falwell said and rightfully so, without clarification in his statements lends itself to interpretation by Muslims and others in the wider community in a negative light. The "teach' em a lesson if they ever show up here" also opens itself up to interpretation as a challenge as well. I feel that many understand what the intention was and so do I. I agree that we should be entitled to CCP, if trained correctly and obtain it through the proper channels.

But It is not about being liberal, overly-sensitive, or politically correct. I feel that it about an individual, who has a father who has past that is littered with scathing and judgmental remarks that has been blasted on national television without thinking through the long term consequences of those statements. Including the effect it would have on the university's reputation and credibility; including not thinking about how it would impact the alumni base (past, present, and future) outside the LU community. It has the potential to place alumni in uncomfortable situations with friends, family, and job prospects having to defend or explain why one choose to attend a university that has Presidents that invite controversy to this institution of higher learning. We are not being criticized so much by others because we are Christians or live a morally principled life through Christ, (even though Christians are judged and persecuted) but because of the PR blunders that are perpetuated by the last two university presidents and other university representatives (Matt Staver).

I am ashamed to have an Individual as arrogant and obtuse as JLFJR to be President of the world largest Christian university. Sure he made a mistake, but when you are an attorney and a President of a university; and do not have the foresight to think critically and analytically about delivering the statement he made, then he does not belong in position of trust and leadership as the President & Chancellor of Liberty University. I thought that these few years that maybe we would be turning a corner in advancement as a university after the remarks that DOC made after 9/11, but we continue to have individuals like JLF and JLFJR lead our institution into categories of bigotry and intolerance. Who knows, maybe time will heal all wounds and delivery a President who is worthy of being a President and Chancellor at LU.
this is hilarious...talk about blowing things out of proportion..wow
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
When you listen to the media's soundbites, which are taken out of context most of the time, you tend to hear what they want you to hear. So yeah, of course you needed clarification. For those of us that actually remember the media's MO and decided to go back and listen to the whole thing before lambasting JFLJR on this comment specifically, it was rather easy to deduce whom he was talking about.
+1 - very well said.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:
When you listen to the media's soundbites, which are taken out of context most of the time, you tend to hear what they want you to hear. So yeah, of course you needed clarification. For those of us that actually remember the media's MO and decided to go back and listen to the whole thing before lambasting JFLJR on this comment specifically, it was rather easy to deduce whom he was talking about specifically within the muslim community and not the community as a whole.
Don't make assumptions. Personally I never followed the media's take and just watched the video not knowing what to expect.

What happened was embarrassing for a Christian leader in my opinion and not conducive to the school's mission. The fact that he is so full of pride to say he wouldn't change a word of how he communicated this was also disappointing.

Just because you weren't bothered by it doesn't mean others weren't. I would encourage a lot of you folks to consider empathy. It's pretty important in a productive society. We can still speak truths, but before doing so, need to consider how the message will be perceived so that when crafting our words there will be as few misunderstandings as possible. It's not about being PC. It's not about being liberal (eww). It's about being clear.

As I've gotten older I try to look at situations from my Christian goggles before anything else. I put that before Conservative,, Liberty Alum, American, Husband, Father, etc. So when I offer my opinion on what Jr said, it's through my glasses as a Christian first and foremost. That will always trump everything else.
This is the problem. Just because you were bothered by it does not make it embarrassing or wrong. I am able to see how people misunderstood his comments, but understanding that angle and knowing what he said and who it was directed at are very different. You can show empathy by acknowledging truth. The truth of the matter is JFJR did not say anything hateful or embarrassing for Liberty University.

Adam - of course I am entitled to state my opinion, thank you for acknowledging that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
So, I said earlier I listened to the entire thing, and I still needed clarification. Again, if you were talking about the SB shooters, how can you teach the a lesson since they are dead? The only group he brought up were Muslims so how is it difficult to equate those two? Had he added 'crazy gunmen' or 'anyone out to do harm' it would have been a lot better. But he singled out Muslims
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:
So, I said earlier I listened to the entire thing, and I still needed clarification. Again, if you were talking about the SB shooters, how can you teach the a lesson since they are dead? The only group he brought up were Muslims so how is it difficult to equate those two? Had he added 'crazy gunmen' or 'anyone out to do harm' it would have been a lot better. But he singled out Muslims
Teach a lesson - knowing/learning the consequences if they try that stuff at LU.
Those Muslims - the "radicalized" people who killed in Cali and Paris.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I have to question whether or not you aren't just looking for reasons to rip JLFJR based on things that have happened this year.
Of course my personal communications with him have color my perception and influences how I interpret what he meant by his words. To be honest, my personal experiences with the man only confirm my interpretation of what he said.

That being said, if it wasn't Jr and was some other Christian leader, I'd have just as big a problem with it.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Teach a lesson - knowing/learning the consequences if they try that stuff at LU.
Wait...why are you clarifying? I thought his comments required no clarification. I'm confused.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

AKA ISIS... the group we now know was behind both. I understand he should have spoken more clearly so as to remove any doubt and not be able to provide the media with any sort of soundbite. However, do you REALLY think he meant all muslims? Knowing full-well that there are muslims on campus? That seems to be more of a stretch to me than the realization he's mentioning only extremists. Calling out all muslims would have raised the bar much higher than even Trump could reach at this point. You actually think that's what he meant?
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Wait...why are you clarifying? I thought his comments required no clarification. I'm confused.
She's not clarifying, she's informing people of the context that Jerry set when he first started speaking, "...on the events/killings in San Bernandino."

Even the most "controversial" statement refers explicitly to the muslims that walked in and "killed them." Them, being the people in the facility in San Bernandino.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
She's not clarifying, she's informing people of the context that Jerry set when he first started speaking, "...on the events/killings in San Bernandino."

Even the most "controversial" statement refers explicitly to the muslims that walked in and "killed them." Them, being the people in the facility in San Bernandino.
She?
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:

She?
Is LUnPretty not a she? I actually don't know... if not... I apologize. :oops:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: Is LUnPretty not a she? I actually don't know... if not... I apologize. :oops:
HA! That's awesome

Yes you're correct he's def a shim
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Wow... This really does come full circle... pretty sure this happened about 7 years ago too. Yikes. Well, I think it's my time to pull an SJ.
Hey, no re-naming the Libertine award
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]