This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
yeesh!!! you know the PC culture that is ruining America has a strong pull when it effects members from this board..not a big deal..quit getting your feelings hurt. You know what Falwell was saying
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
A few thoughts...

1. Surprised that many of you are upset with this statement. JFJR clearly - CLEARLY - was speaking in the context of the recent terrorist attacks. There is no gray area on this and no need for clarification.

2. This was a clear call for self defense in a time of crisis and lack of national security. The centerpiece of his statements was based on being able to stand up to and against terrorism/murderers/mass killings.

3. There is a huge difference between the attacks Purple mentioned on the first page of this thread than the terrorist attacks in Paris and Cali. How so? The terrorist attacks were linked to an organization that lives to kill. Regardless of what the leftist media tries to tell you, Christians/Jews are not killing in the name of religion. Also, "extremist" in those religions are not killing innocent people.

4. There are clearly aspects of the Muslim faith that call for self sacrifice and killing anyone who does not follow the same Muslim beliefs.

5. JFJR was not advocating killing people
6. JFJR was clearly advocating self defense/prepare for the worst

7. I agree with BYD - I am now more concerned about a potential attack targeted at LU, its students and the campus as a whole.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I agree with his stance just not the way he presented himself. Which is what most people on this board has said so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

my point is that you knew what he meant to say...dont make it a big deal if you know the intent..no different than liberal media
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:A few thoughts...

1. Surprised that many of you are upset with this statement. JFJR clearly - CLEARLY - was speaking in the context of the recent terrorist attacks. There is no gray area on this and no need for clarification.

2. This was a clear call for self defense in a time of crisis and lack of national security. The centerpiece of his statements was based on being able to stand up to and against terrorism/murderers/mass killings.

3. There is a huge difference between the attacks Purple mentioned on the first page of this thread than the terrorist attacks in Paris and Cali. How so? The terrorist attacks were linked to an organization that lives to kill. Regardless of what the leftist media tries to tell you, Christians/Jews are not killing in the name of religion. Also, "extremist" in those religions are not killing innocent people.

4. There are clearly aspects of the Muslim faith that call for self sacrifice and killing anyone who does not follow the same Muslim beliefs.

5. JFJR was not advocating killing people
6. JFJR was clearly advocating self defense/prepare for the worst

7. I agree with BYD - I am now more concerned about a potential attack targeted at LU, its students and the campus as a whole.
Based on the previous comments in this thread, I think it's obvious that it needed CLARIFICATION.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Oh geez, ok buddy. This is the problem with a lot of people. You can't even remotely disagree or you just get lumped into the liberal media. It is just ridiculous.
It's all those darned liberals' faults!!! Liberals are just as entitled to their opinions and views as conservatives or those in the middle. For some reason people don't seem to understand that their are differing viewpoints which make the world a more interesting place. Surrounding yourself with only like-minded individuals is dangerous. Not everything is a left-wing or right-wing conspiracy. Just because we may disagree does not mean that either of us is necessarily wrong. Open discourse is healthy.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Intent isn't always the only important thing. I'm sure when someone accidentally steps on the gas instead of the brake and drives their car through a farmers market they didn't intend to do it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take their license away.

He made a stupid comment. A leader in his position should know how to make a point without sounding ignorant. It's disappointing and embarrassing for the university.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Oh geez, ok buddy. This is the problem with a lot of people. You can't even remotely disagree or you just get lumped into the liberal media. It is just ridiculous.
It's all those darned liberals' faults!!! Liberals are just as entitled to their opinions and views as conservatives or those in the middle. For some reason people don't seem to understand that their are differing viewpoints which make the world a more interesting place. Surrounding yourself with only like-minded individuals is dangerous. Not everything is a left-wing or right-wing conspiracy. Just because we may disagree does not mean that either of us is necessarily wrong. Open discourse is healthy.
I don't think liberals would ever consider me liberal so I find it laughable that I am being framed as such.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Apparently it wasn't so clear. This the issue. On first pass I thought he WAS talking about killing Muslims
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
As did I. I did go and view the full video to get the full context and then understood what he was trying to say. I still think he could've been more clear but at least he did come out and clarify it.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
It's only embarrassing because it is receiving negative press. Liberty has always been known as a place that does not hold back for fear of saying or doing something that may offend others. This country needs people to be less sensitive to something that may sound uncomfortable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I think we all agree that encouraging people to take firearm safety classes and getting a CCP is a good message
Threatening to brandish your firearm in a 'mine is bigger than yours' or indirectly indicting all Muslims is where people diverge.
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
Well at least the apple doesn’t fall to far from the tree…..

"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" - Rev. Jerry Falwell (September 2001)

"I always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walk in and kill" - Jerry Falwell Jr. (December 2015)
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I think we all agree that encouraging people to take firearm safety classes and getting a CCP is a good message
Threatening to brandish your firearm in a 'mine is bigger than yours' or indirectly indicting all Muslims is where people diverge.
The difference is the second sentence wasn't said or insinuated.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I think we all agree that encouraging people to take firearm safety classes and getting a CCP is a good message
"If they ever show up here, lets teach them a lesson," may have been meant as a warning, but could very easily be taken as a challenge as well. Along with "end those Muslims." Not radicalized Muslims, not Islamic extremists, just Muslims. WE know the context, but the WORDS THEMSELVES opened up a can of worms.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
"If they ever show up here, lets teach them a lesson," may have been meant as a warning, but could very easily be taken as a challenge as well. Along with "end those Muslims." Not radicalized Muslims, not Islamic extremists, just Muslims. WE know the context, but the WORDS THEMSELVES opened up a can of worms.
I'll just re state this quote. It's not hard to say this was insinuated

"I always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walk in and kill" - Jerry Falwell Jr. (December 2015)

Where is the reference to the SB shooter?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
I don't think liberals would ever consider me liberal so I find it laughable that I am being framed as such.
That wasn't my intent. I was trying to add to your point you were making with bballfan. Sorry if there was some confusion.
By bluejacket
LUnpretty11 wrote:
This shouldn't be difficult. And yet it is.
By LUaddict
Registration Days Posts
There are many in the LU alumni base that are criticizing what President Falwell said and rightfully so, without clarification in his statements lends itself to interpretation by Muslims and others in the wider community in a negative light. The "teach' em a lesson if they ever show up here" also opens itself up to interpretation as a challenge as well. I feel that many understand what the intention was and so do I. I agree that we should be entitled to CCP, if trained correctly and obtain it through the proper channels.

But It is not about being liberal, overly-sensitive, or politically correct. I feel that it about an individual, who has a father who has past that is littered with scathing and judgmental remarks that has been blasted on national television without thinking through the long term consequences of those statements. Including the effect it would have on the university's reputation and credibility; including not thinking about how it would impact the alumni base (past, present, and future) outside the LU community. It has the potential to place alumni in uncomfortable situations with friends, family, and job prospects having to defend or explain why one choose to attend a university that has Presidents that invite controversy to this institution of higher learning. We are not being criticized so much by others because we are Christians or live a morally principled life through Christ, (even though Christians are judged and persecuted) but because of the PR blunders that are perpetuated by the last two university presidents and other university representatives (Matt Staver).

I am ashamed to have an Individual as arrogant and obtuse as JLFJR to be President of the world largest Christian university. Sure he made a mistake, but when you are an attorney and a President of a university; and do not have the foresight to think critically and analytically about delivering the statement he made, then he does not belong in position of trust and leadership as the President & Chancellor of Liberty University. I thought that these few years that maybe we would be turning a corner in advancement as a university after the remarks that DOC made after 9/11, but we continue to have individuals like JLF and JLFJR lead our institution into categories of bigotry and intolerance. Who knows, maybe time will heal all wounds and delivery a President who is worthy of being a President and Chancellor at LU.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
What's funny is I've had more than a few interactions with people who have heard of Liberty, and never once has anyone had anything negative to say about it or about Jerry Jr. Now mind you, these aren't all conservative republicans I deal with either.
By bluejacket
BJWilliams wrote:What's funny is I've had more than a few interactions with people who have heard of Liberty, and never once has anyone had anything negative to say about it or about Jerry Jr. Now mind you, these aren't all conservative republicans I deal with either.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]