This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The take on JR's comments boil down to whether or not he should have known the media would distort and abuse them (Yes), and if in the possession of such knowledge it would be valuable to all impacted for him to still make the statements at issue (debatable). I am of the opinion that JR knew full-well why the media would do with such statements. And I am also of the opinion that he shouldn't have made them.

Splitting hairs over what he really meant, and whether it's defensible or not what the media and left-wing is doing to distort the statements is irrelevant to the important issue, which is: JR knew they would distort his words to suit their agenda, and he still chose to make the statements. Should he have still gone ahead and done so?
By justagirl
Registration Days Posts
No one has brought this up yet, so maybe I'm crazy for it bothering me...but the thing I was most bothered by was the fact that he said "i'm carrying right now, is it illegal to pull this thing out?"

I mean, if we want to encourage people to be responsible gun owners, and we are offering a free class for just that, at least act professional about it like YOU Know the laws, since you are carrying!

All that did was make LU and him look like a bunch of rednecks toting around guns.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
justagirl wrote:No one has brought this up yet, so maybe I'm crazy for it bothering me...but the thing I was most bothered by was the fact that he said "i'm carrying right now, is it illegal to pull this thing out?"

I mean, if we want to encourage people to be responsible gun owners, and we are offering a free class for just that, at least act professional about it like YOU Know the laws, since you are carrying!

All that did was make LU and him look like a bunch of rednecks toting around guns.
It's been brought up here a couple of times.

I will say I'm glad we all knew what he meant when he said 'is it illegal to pull IT out' :shock: :jawdropper
By justagirl
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
justagirl wrote:No one has brought this up yet, so maybe I'm crazy for it bothering me...but the thing I was most bothered by was the fact that he said "i'm carrying right now, is it illegal to pull this thing out?"

I will say I'm glad we all knew what he meant when he said 'is it illegal to pull IT out' :shock: :jawdropper
oops! thats what I get for reading at work ;) you miss things! and YES! thankful THAT didn't need clarification :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
justagirl wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

oops! thats what I get for reading at work ;) you miss things! and YES! thankful THAT didn't need clarification :I chortle audibly.:
It's all good. It took several posts to just clarify who disagreed with what
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
he really sounded like a rube in my opinion. a tight end in new orleans expressed his thoughts more succinctly and less ridiculous than jr. he didn't sound academic by any means and he certainly didn't sound like a Christian.

this whole immigration thing is becoming more and more absurd by the moment.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
More gun control leads to more places and circumstances where innocents are unarmed and unable to defend themselves.
Coming from academia land I was kind of looking for this statement to be sourced and cited.... apa format. :mrgreen:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Everyone within the LU Community should support Jerry Falwell, Jr and back his comments. There is no need to look unfavorably upon his comments. He was simply being honest and telling it like it is. We need to stand up for America. If it means carrying concealed weapons then so be it.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Policy change: guns now allowed in dorms.
Kind of surprises me on this one. I really didn't have a problem with what he said, other than he should have changed his phrasing to "terrorist/extremist." But this.... dunno. I get it, you still have to be 21. And the population of those 21 and older living on the dorms is probably small. But still, this just seems like it could...well backfire.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Everyone within the LU Community should support Jerry Falwell, Jr and back his comments. There is no need to look unfavorably upon his comments. He was simply being honest and telling it like it is. We need to stand up for America. If it means carrying concealed weapons then so be it.
1. Jerry Jr = what is right for America?
2. I don't think anyone disagrees with his stance on conceal/carry.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Everyone within the LU Community should support Jerry Falwell, Jr and back his comments. There is no need to look unfavorably upon his comments. He was simply being honest and telling it like it is. We need to stand up for America. If it means carrying concealed weapons then so be it.
Yes, everyone needs to follow blindly and not think critically. :roll:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree that critical thinking is important adam...I just think that if I was covering that story I would have tried to gather the whole context and not zero in on one sentence or a couple words in one sentence and then run with a whole new narrative that was not intended. Maybe that makes me a "bad reporter" to some but Id rather get the right story second than get the wrong story first and have to fix it later.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:I don't think anyone got the story wrong. They reported on what he said and editorialized after that.
To go back to an earlier point. I wonder how he describes people from the Westboro Baptist church? 'Those Chrisrians'? 'Those Baptists'? 'Those Crazy People'?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
JFLJR went from frustrated at Politicians to arrogant super quick.

Sr. at least had the pullpit and Wednesday Convo to clarify his statments and preach faith, hope and love after he made public mistakes like this.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:JFLJR went from frustrated at Politicians to arrogant super quick.

Sr. at least had the pullpit and Wednesday Convo to clarify his statments and preach faith, hope and love after he made public mistakes like this.
He's come off as arrogant for a long time, in many people's opinions.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I like jr. Without him the growth of the school and campus improvements would not of happened.

With the said it appears he may be allowing it to go to his head. I know that is something the leadership at the school struggle with is allowing the success of the school the last few years to go to their heads. That becomes evident when things like this have happened.

I am not against concealed carry, even in the dorms. I just hate how it was presented.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: I am not against concealed carry, even in the dorms. I just hate how it was presented.

^
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
R i wrote:JFLJR went from frustrated at Politicians to arrogant super quick.

He's come off as arrogant for a long time, in many people's opinions.
Actually this is the first time I've thought he sounded arrogant.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]