This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I think Jerry Jr. was just frustrated by president Obama calling for more gun control regulations before the smoke had settled in California. Afterwards, it was discovered this tragedy was the result of a radicalized terrorist who could care less about gun control laws.

But in his frustration Jerry worded it badly....if he just would have said terrorists instead of Muslim he would have been ok.

Of course CNN is going to make this a story...they need to do something to take the heat off of Obama...and Obama will be doing his own damage control and spin tonight at 830pm as he attepts to explain how gun control will stop terrorists.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:I think Jerry Jr. was just frustrated by president Obama calling for more gun control regulations before the smoke had settled in California. Afterwards, it was discovered this tragedy was the result of a radicalized terrorist who could care less about gun control laws.

But in his frustration Jerry worded it badly....if he just would have said terrorists instead of Muslim he would have been ok.

Of course CNN is going to make this a story...they need to do something to take the heat off of Obama...and Obama will be doing his own damage control and spin tonight at 830pm as he attepts to explain how gun control will stop terrorists.
I'm sure Jr is happy he is taking the heat off of Obama. It certainly taught him a lesson!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'm sure bj will send him a pm any day now about this issue.
*shrugs* no need...even if I did, I doubt it would change the minds of anybody on here or on social media who disagreed with his comments. That said, I listened to them a few times and I understood who he was referring to within the grander context of the speech instead of zeroing in on one or two sentences, and a couple words within those sentences that can be twisted and taken out of context, as has occurred here.
By bluejacket
BJWilliams wrote:*shrugs* no need...even if I did, I doubt it would change the minds of anybody on here or on social media who disagreed with his comments. That said, I listened to them a few times and I understood who he was referring to within the grander context of the speech instead of zeroing in on one or two sentences, and a couple words within those sentences that can be twisted and taken out of context, as has occurred here.
What exactly has been "twisted and taken out of context"?
By bluejacket
jimflamesfan wrote:But in his frustration Jerry worded it badly....if he just would have said nothinghe would have been ok.
FIFY

Instead it turns into "Look at my gun!" And anyone who has heard him speak, knew that it would turn into this. Stupid remarks like these make LU an even bigger target than it already is.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am sorry to see how PC and overly-sensitive the graduates of LU have become. What he said is really not a big deal. The media always looks to make an issue when a Christian says anything remotely controversial. Nothing he said will make LU any more of a target than it already is. Don't know why we are so concerned about what those who hate us think. It is kinda like the Republicans trying to get the media to like them, it will never happen and it just makes them look like morons. Carry on.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I am sorry to see how PC and overly-sensitive the graduates of LU have become. What he said is really not a big deal. The media always looks to make an issue when a Christian says anything remotely controversial. Nothing he said will make LU any more of a target than it already is. Don't know why we are so concerned about what those who hate us think. It is kinda like the Republicans trying to get the media to like them, it will never happen and it just makes them look like morons. Carry on.
I am going to pull a Kiwon and quote Proverbs 17:28 here: "Even a fools are thought wise, and discerning if they hold their tongues." JJ's remarks were made in reaction to the reaction of the liberals following the shooting before all the facts came out. They were not carefully thought out, and thus can be easily twisted out of context as is being done now. We may not be OF this world, but we are still IN it, and its best we think before we speak and consider how the words we say can be perceived. There is a difference between being PC, being factual, and being factual in a way that leaves no doubt what the intended message is (i.e. cannot be easily twisted).
By bluejacket
flameshaw wrote:I am sorry to see how PC and overly-sensitive the graduates of LU have become. What he said is really not a big deal. The media always looks to make an issue when a Christian says anything remotely controversial. Nothing he said will make LU any more of a target than it already is. Don't know why we are so concerned about what those who hate us think. It is kinda like the Republicans trying to get the media to like them, it will never happen and it just makes them look like morons. Carry on.
This is not a PC/liberal media issue. For goodness sake, does no one remember what a lone gunman like Cho at VT did? Or Sandy Hook? Why on earth would any college president boast in a convocation and challenge organized terrorists to test their security? Pure lunacy.

I pray to God every day that terrorists don't start waging serious campaigns against Americans in the United States. San Bernardino is tragic, but very small scale, very disorganized, and carried out by complete amateurs who were willing to die. They were far from warriors. When a terrorist group (mainly focusing on IS at the moment, but could be any number of organizations) successfully carries out an attack similar to Beslan in the United States, it will be truly tragic.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts

I'm not concerned about if people hate us. We are a Christian school people will hate us. What this is about is a man who leads our university allowing himself to get so enltional about an American political viewpoint that he issues a challenge to bring terrorism to my school. That is completely unacceptable to me.

I agree concealed carry is a good thing but there is no need to take it to this level.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
bluejacket wrote:
This is not a PC/liberal media issue. For goodness sake, does no one remember what a lone gunman like Cho at VT did? Or Sandy Hook? Why on earth would any college president boast in a convocation and challenge organized terrorists to test their security? Pure lunacy.

I pray to God every day that terrorists don't start waging serious campaigns against Americans in the United States. San Bernardino is tragic, but very small scale, very disorganized, and carried out by complete amateurs who were willing to die. They were far from warriors. When a terrorist group (mainly focusing on IS at the moment, but could be any number of organizations) successfully carries out an attack similar to Beslan in the United States, it will be truly tragic.
I do. It's why I brought it up several times.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I thought the whole thing was immature. He's proven time & time again that he's not a public speaker, and he got carried away trying to show off for the students. But his unwillingness to admit that maybe he was wrong does irk me.

What concerned me the most was the bravado. If I was a parent of a student, I would not be happy. You do not challenge someone to make my kid a target.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:I thought the whole thing was immature. He's proven time & time again that he's not a public speaker, and he got carried away trying to show off for the students. But his unwillingness to admit that maybe he was wrong does irk me.
I've heard things through the grapevine, so I wasn't surprised to hear him say he wouldn't rephrase anything. I think most of you here know and understand he was specifically talking about muslim extremists and not all muslims. So please stop kidding yourselves. For those of you saying he shouldn't have singled out a group/religion when other non-religious people have participated in mass shootings, point taken. However, understand that the comments were made specifically in response to the shooting in San Bernandino, which in fact, was committed by what essentially was a sleeper cell for ISIS. This occurred a mere few weeks after the atrocities in Paris and Kenya. The fact that any of you would try to link the shootings from sandy hook/aurora/etc. to ISIS killing is disturbing to me. ISIS, and to a larger degree their sympathizers and copy-cat groups, are part of an organized global entity that have declared open warfare on everything we are. What happened in San Bernandino, in their minds, was an act of war. It's different. Don't mistake this as me trying to say one mass shooting was more or less important than the other... I'm not. They are just two different events.
ALUmnus wrote:What concerned me the most was the bravado. If I was a parent of a student, I would not be happy. You do not challenge someone to make my kid a target.
This was a bit disturbing. It was too Hestonesque... There was a better way he could have gotten his point across.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have been shocked by the number of friends who have scant knowledge of LU who have come up to me to talk about his statements from a positive perspective. I am talking about folks who have no real connection to the school. It has been interesting to watch the reactions.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I have been shocked by the number of friends who have scant knowledge of LU who have come up to me to talk about his statements from a positive perspective. I am talking about folks who have no real connection to the school. It has been interesting to watch the reactions.
Well, it is Texas.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I am acquaintences with a girl on FB who is essentially campaigning to have a specialized accreditation that LU holds removed specifically because she found JFLJR's comments to be bigoted. She's essentially saying there's no way a student who comes from LU can be "unbiased". I haven't yet asked her how she plans to explain that position as not being bias and bigoted in itself, but I plan to.

Some of the harshest critics I've seen have come from the LU community itself. I think people are just tired of seeing the school grab headlines for the wrong reasons, in which case, I agree with them.
By bluejacket
Humble_Opinion wrote:I've heard things through the grapevine, so I wasn't surprised to hear him say he wouldn't rephrase anything. I think most of you here know and understand he was specifically talking about muslim extremists and not all muslims. So please stop kidding yourselves. For those of you saying he shouldn't have singled out a group/religion when other non-religious people have participated in mass shootings, point taken. However, understand that the comments were made specifically in response to the shooting in San Bernandino, which in fact, was committed by what essentially was a sleeper cell for ISIS. This occurred a mere few weeks after the atrocities in Paris and Kenya. The fact that any of you would try to link the shootings from sandy hook/aurora/etc. to ISIS killing is disturbing to me. ISIS, and to a larger degree their sympathizers and copy-cat groups, are part of an organized global entity that have declared open warfare on everything we are. What happened in San Bernandino, in their minds, was an act of war. It's different. Don't mistake this as me trying to say one mass shooting was more or less important than the other... I'm not. They are just two different events.
No one said that they are the same event. But these are all recent events that should impress upon university leaders the seriousness of campus security.

Inspired jihadists with no battlefield experience were not afraid of any of the authorities who responded. The city police department, although dealing with budget cuts, faces gang violence, murder, etc. every day in one of the most dangerous cities in the country. San Bernardino County is the largest county in the United States (bigger than nine states). Those two police departments and the other organizations that responded to the shooting struggled to coordinate their response and contain the attack. But LU is going to challenge and fight IS on campus with a few LUPD officers, armed students, and Jerry Jr. :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Whether it was by ISIS or not. The Sandy Hook, VT etc victims are just as dead. So in that aspect they are the same.
Again, I'm in 100% agreement with the conceal carry portion just not in agreement that ISIS poses a greater threat than a person like Dylan Roof (or however you spell his name)
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Blue - that's why I specifically said I thought the way Jerry went about his comments was wrong. Using bravado was the wrong tact to take in that case.

In regard to campus security, I think it's pretty amazing that people write-off LUPD. I know they aren't the most specialized force, but they are a real PD, and they train on a regular basis with law enforcement of all levels of government just as a typical county/city department would do. I think Jerry's point here is though that these two were really only in the building for less than a few minutes. They walked in, sprayed down the place, reloaded, sprayed down some more and then walked out. NO police force can mobilize the units necessary to take on that level of a threat in a matter of minutes. However, a few armed CCPs with the element of surprise may have been able to respond in a manner that would have possibly saved lives. I don't think JFLJR actually wants to challenge IS. I least, I hope not.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Whether it was by ISIS or not. The Sandy Hook, VT etc victims are just as dead. So in that aspect they are the same.
Again, I'm in 100% agreement with the conceal carry portion just not in agreement that ISIS poses a greater threat than a person like Dylan Roof (or however you spell his name)
Yes, they are just as dead, which is why I made sure to clarify the statement, so as to not leave it open for interpretation. However, I would disagree in regard to ISIS not being more dangerous. You take a person that's armed and has hostile purposes and drop them in a soft target... yeah they are going to do damage either way. What makes ISIS more dangerous is their expertise/training/organization. I don't think we've really seen the real ISIS conduct an actual attack yet. What we've seen up to this point are locally grown sympathizers. Even still, the husband/wife duo had been planning this attack for some time and they had to have had some sort of level of training to make attempts at modifying their weapons (I believe I read a report stating this). I believe at some point we will see the real ISIS attacking inside the borders of western-based nations. Having para-military training, a command structure and funding makes them far more dangerous than a depressed/suicidal lone gunman. I hope you don't disagree with that.
By bluejacket
Humble_Opinion wrote:In regard to campus security, I think it's pretty amazing that people write-off LUPD. I know they aren't the most specialized force, but they are a real PD, and they train on a regular basis with law enforcement of all levels of government just as a typical county/city department would do. I think Jerry's point here is though that these two were really only in the building for less than a few minutes. They walked in, sprayed down the place, reloaded, sprayed down some more and then walked out. NO police force can mobilize the units necessary to take on that level of a threat in a matter of minutes. However, a few armed CCPs with the element of surprise may have been able to respond in a manner that would have possibly saved lives. I don't think JFLJR actually wants to challenge IS. I least, I hope not.
No one is writing off LUPD. They are professional officers and do their best to protect campus. But I am also realistic about their limitations. Regardless, they should not have to deal with a president/chancellor who is writing checks that they have to cash.

Jerry Jr. may not want to challenge IS, but he did in those remarks.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU has a good PD, I know several of the Officers.

But I think they need to be more visible around campus. I ride around campus a lot and walk around it a lot. Often times I never see a Policeman on patrol.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]