This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I love that LU allows and supports CCP but that was an idiotic statement and not befitting the leader of a Christian University.

I hope whoever the next president of the university is takes their role as a Christian leader more seriously.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
I agree with what he said just not how he said it. I can see how sensitive individuals that cry about everything would say this is hateful and intolerant message toward Muslims. However, it was not intended that way at all. My interpretation of his comments were that we could prevent radical Muslims that want to carry out attacks on innocent people by having guns on our person to protect ourselves and those around us. He was not referring to ALL Muslims. I am a teacher and work at a school that is made up of mostly military children. How should I feel about this situation? My concern is the area that I work in is a target for radical Muslims to attack. We have no way of protecting ourselves if something like this were to happen. Heck, even if it was a domestic issue we have no way of protecting ourselves. I can not imagine someone coming into our school with full tactical gear on and a go pro cameras shooting all the children I am there to help and to protect from harms way. I would love the ability to carry or at least have access to a safe with a gun in it in case something like this were to happen. I am sorry for the long rant, which could have been longer, but this is a very important yet sensitive matter we are discussing.
Last edited by soccer7 on December 5th, 2015, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely dumb thing to say. I don't have a problem either with the permit and stuff which that's all he could've said but the Muslim statement to me was a jab and inviting someone to come at LU and try something. Very stupid. I'm not the sensitive type either as I've been on Liberty for their censoring in the past.

Lastly I hope Jr knows he has a lot Muslims in the LUCOM and a few in the international department. Angered a lot of people yesterday.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Ugh. Why?
No need to wade into the political muck here. This is going to get a ton of airtime (it is currently the top headline on the Virginian-Pilot website) and will only add another soundbite to the pile left by Doc.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Liberty has a serious knack for placing people with foot-in-mouth tendencies in positions of power. Another day, another embarrassment.
By musicguy
Registration Days
Wow. I don't comment much since I'm about 20 years removed from LU and just come here because the growth and new building are pretty cool but I was appalled when I watched the video that showed up in my FB feed. I'm so embarrassed for my alma mater and my faith watching his comments and a bunch of Christian students cheering for guns and shooting anyone...

Where have they totally missed the teachings of Jesus? Man, I could never send my kids there with a good conscience someday. I'm so grieved about this.

I used to just wish they'd stay out of politics since it's a total distraction from what we're called to do as believers, but this just goes so far over the edge for me.

My two cents...
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
http://www.breitbart.com

This link shed light onto how many Mosque are related to terrorist. If this is remotely accurate then the people that are raising concern are justified. Again, no one has said that all practicing Muslims are extremist but the finger points to the majority. As a Christian I am not going to hate these people, condemn them, or persecute them. I do, however, want to protect myself, my family and those I care about (including some Muslim families). I am also a little weary of those that want to protect the Muslim faith, especially the extremist, while putting aside the crucifixion of the Christian faith all over the world. This persecution includes the United States of America which was founded to escape the religious persecution of Christianity. Tolerance is one thing but belligerence and denial is inexcusable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
He could have added 'or anyone else'. Or left out Muslim out. I'm just really glad he didn't brandish the weapon. It would be like he was compensating for something.
I DID like that he encouraged everyone to take a course and get CCW eligible and apply for it. That's a smart thing. The rest was a head scratcher
By PAFlame
I am frankly melancholy and disturbed as to what Chancellor Falwell stated here. This is not even a matter of trying to be politically correct, or "well I meant this" excuse, but rather a case of borderline bigotry. I hope there is some reconciliation to what was said, and I wouldn't blame liberal-minded people being upset over a statement like this.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:I am frankly melancholy and disturbed as to what Chancellor Falwell stated here. This is not even a matter of trying to be politically correct, or "well I meant this" excuse, but rather a case of borderline bigotry. I hope there is some reconciliation to what was said, and I wouldn't blame liberal-minded people being upset over a statement like this.
Like father like son. It was the African-Americans in the 60's. It's Muslims now. Bigotry runs deep. Before people here start saying Jr. deserves the benefit of the doubt, I disagree. He has long since passed that point. It's really sad and highly disturbing that this was said my the leader of the largest Christian university in the world.
By bluejacket
Yacht Rock wrote:I love that LU allows and supports CCP but that was an idiotic statement and not befitting the leader of a Christian University.

I hope whoever the next president of the university is takes their role as a Christian leader more seriously.
This.
By bluejacket
ATrain wrote:Also, the "teach them a lesson should they ever come here," - not sure we should be issuing a challenge for them to try it.
If someone attempted an organized attack on campus, there would be huge numbers of casualties. The same could be said at any campus, but we also have convo three times every week.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
You are right Purple. He should have left the statement about Muslims out. That is what is rubbing everyone the wrong way and I can understand why. It came across very abrasive. He should have said "anyone can be stopped that attempts this again".
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
I'm sorry, was there something wrong with what he said? Were they not Muslims who committed the Murders? He stated "those" not "the" Muslims in his reference. The reference to those meant the specific couple who committed the horrible act, not the people group; i.e, Muslims. He was not at a political rally, campaign speech, in front of TV news cameras etc... He was at his school's weekly convocation gathering with students he loves and cherishes, seeing many of them as his own son and daughters. Encouraging them to do what is possible to protect themselves is not and should not be frowned upon.

While I recognize some may find the venue inappropriate, I also assume you are then equally upset at all those professors at many higher educational institutions teaching young easily swayed students. I am thankful that Liberty takes a position in political arenas, why not counter what is taught in 99% of our colleges today. Are we suppose to only teach Biblical Scripture and Theology, or teach our young ones, how to handle, manage and direct their lives with a Biblical Viewpoint which, does entitle pushing the voter button in their lives.

I found the comments rather refreshing in light of our easily offended and emotional driven society so scared at the possibility of offense. GET OVER IT!!!! And to those who say, you may question sending your own children to the school now, really. Then enjoy the reality of our countries current, state school institutions and what they will teach your young open minded young-ens.

Footnote; I am certain many of you will disagree, but I choose to accept that I won't please everyone and never will.
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: I hope whoever the next president of the university is takes their role as a Christian leader more seriously.
Are you kidding me, "Takes their role seriously". You must be joking right??? Evil is alive and present in this world you know.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUinPA wrote:I'm sorry, was there something wrong with what he said? Were they not Muslims who committed the Murders? He stated "those" not "the" Muslims in his reference. The reference to those meant the specific couple who committed the horrible act, not the people group; i.e, Muslims. He was not at a political rally, campaign speech, in front of TV news cameras etc... He was at his school's weekly convocation gathering with students he loves and cherishes, seeing many of them as his own son and daughters. Encouraging them to do what is possible to protect themselves is not and should not be frowned upon.

While I recognize some may find the venue inappropriate, I also assume you are then equally upset at all those professors at many higher educational institutions teaching young easily swayed students. I am thankful that Liberty takes a position in political arenas, why not counter what is taught in 99% of our colleges today. Are we suppose to only teach Biblical Scripture and Theology, or teach our young ones, how to handle, manage and direct their lives with a Biblical Viewpoint which, does entitle pushing the voter button in their lives.

I found the comments rather refreshing in light of our easily offended and emotional driven society so scared at the possibility of offense. GET OVER IT!!!! And to those who say, you may question sending your own children to the school now, really. Then enjoy the reality of our countries current, state school institutions and what they will teach your young open minded young-ens.

Footnote; I am certain many of you will disagree, but I choose to accept that I won't please everyone and never will.
'Those Muslims' sounds a lot like 'Those people'. He then went on to double down on that. I'm not blind when it comes to what the Jihadists have in mind, but I have weapons in my house to stop intruders and those out to cause me (and wife) harm. I don't care who they are.
It's why I have no problem with him advocating student faculty etc to pursue a CCP. Love it think it's awesome and more people should. But then to focus in on 'those Muslims' destroys his credibility. Why?
VT shooter - Not a Muslim
SC Church shooter - Not a Muslim
Batman shooter - not a Muslim
Columbine shooters - not a Muslim
Sandy Hook Shooter - not a Muslim

Those are just off the top of my head
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Replace those Muslims with Jews or Christians and ask yourself whether he would have made the same statement. The answer is pretty obvious.
By LUinPA
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Replace those Muslims with Jews or Christians and ask yourself whether he would have made the same statement. The answer is pretty obvious.
Jews and Christians aren't doing that, are they??
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUinPA wrote:He was specifically refering to the current situation at hand; i.e. Muslims, that's the point.
He says he was. But in the video it could be taken either way. Especially when he brings Muslims into it again yet fails to mention the other shootings at EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES, you know, like Liberty? He wasn't shy about trying to brandish his fire arm though :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Replace those Muslims with Jews or Christians and ask yourself whether he would have made the same statement. The answer is pretty obvious.
'We could end those Muslims before they walk in..."
"So we can teach them a lesson....'
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
LUinPA wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote: I hope whoever the next president of the university is takes their role as a Christian leader more seriously.
Are you kidding me, "Takes their role seriously". You must be joking right??? Evil is alive and present in this world you know.
You're right. Evil is alive and has been since man's fall. The leader of a large Christian University has no place suggesting that the lesson to teach is to end "those Muslims" before they get in the door.

There are ways to teach and encourage self defense/carrying a concealed weapon and still not turn people away from the message of Christ's love. He didn't do that. The leader of a large Christian organization should be held to a higher standard and be sending a different message than say, Donald Trump.

For what it's worth, I support gun ownership wholeheartedly and am glad LU isn't a "gun free" zone. The issue is, you can promote safety and not still reflect Christian values. That's not what happened yesterday. That example and others I've seen indicate that he may not realize the importance his role plays in leading others and the example he sets for Christians as a semi-public figure.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]