This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Sly Fox wrote:Quaker Steak & Lube is hands down the best wings chain IMHO. We used to go to the original one in Sharon, PA back when my parents lived up that way. Now that they have franchised out the inevitable slight drop of quality came with it. But it still stands head & shoulders above BWW. Thai'R Cracker is my personal favorite flavor but I love going on Tuesday nights for all-you-can-eat wing night. Guy like Haize and I can do some serious damage.

Carrabba's is a better version of chain Italian than Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. Italian rarely works in chains but Carrabba's and Johnny Carino's are two Texas-based chains that do a solid job.

My stomach just turned at the mere mention of White Castle. That chain alone is responsbile for sending numerous family members in Cincinnati to the emergency room. I rarely get Krystal Kravings but it is certainly a step up from White Castle.

Yacht Rock - We love In 'N Out Burger here in Texas. Once some of the older family members pass on, you can expect the chain to go national shortly thereafter. Texas was their first foray away from their California base. It won't be their last.
First Quaker Steak and finishing with In n Out? Little do you realize the influence :flamingdevil is having on you
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
When as the last time you ate at White Castle? I thought it was pretty good when I ate there in Indianapolis.

Carrabba's is better than Olive Garden, but yeah...the lobster mac and cheese I got served was borderline cold the last time I ate there, and it tasted like bland chain food as well.
Ft Wayne has a place called Powers Hamburgers. It is the measuring stick I use for burgers like Krystal and White Castle, neither of who measure up. But I do like Krysral and won't turn down a White Castle
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:You must have enjoyed one of the cooked burgers. They work in a few of those from time to time. I admit I have had zero interest in giving White Castle another try in decades.
I think I found the problem, Mr. Texas curmudgeon.
alabama24 wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Quaker Steak & Lube is hands down the best wings chain IMHO.
You guys must be crazy, else the one I went to was having a bad day. The food was disgusting. The sauces were awful. The decor was ok, but it gave me gas.
I've been to one in Pittsburgh Ft Wayne Charlotte Bristol and Harrisonburg. Had maybe 1 bad order of wings. Burgers are awful though
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have eaten wings at QS&L in probably half a dozen states and never been disappointed. Selection is phenomenal. Give the place another try.

I agree about the burgers, Haize. But who orders burgers at a wings joint? That's like ordering fish at KFC. You can probably do it but you'll likely pay the price.
Sly Fox wrote:I have eaten wings at QS&L in probably half a dozen states and never been disappointed. Selection is phenomenal. Give the place another try.

I agree about the burgers, Haize. But who orders burgers at a wings joint? That's like ordering fish at KFC. You can probably do it but you'll likely pay the price.
We do have a KFC/Long John's here that'll really turn you off to KFC.
jack_sparrow81 wrote:Carrabas would do well in the Burg. Tijuana Flats also.
LOVE Tjuana Flats! Would love one in Lynchburg.

And Carrabas used to be one of my favorites, and I guess it still is, but the prices have risen so much with portions getting smaller....
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:
badger74 wrote:Real Ramen as in
http://www.kukai-ramen.com/index.html
I am checking out the Capitol Hill location on my next trip to Seattle. Had a phenomnal meal a couple of weeks ago up there at a Vietnamese fusion place called Monsoon. I give it a high recommendation, badger74.
Monsoon has been around for years and always excellent. Kingfish across street was also very good--but heard they closed.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]