This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I'm bored and hungry. With several new joints under construction, which others should come to the 'burg? Some that I would like to see:

* Noodles & Co
* Papa Murphy’s
* Dave & Busters
* Red Robin
* Baja Fresh
* Tom + Chee
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Isn't Dave & Busters a bit played out? But Quaker Steak & Lube is always a great call. Lynchburg still lacks a quality wings joint and that would seal the deal.

If you are going for a Cincy chain, instead of Tom + Chee I'd rather see either Skyline or Gold Star Chili come to town. And no, Texas Inn is not the same thing.

Any burrito chain outside of the corporate cardboard that goes by Chipotle. There are a slew of better options led by Freebirds.

Put a Chuy's in Lynchburg and I will begin running out of reasons to not move back to Virginia. Richmond is just too far of a drive when you get a hankering for TexMex.
Purple Haize wrote:Dave and Busters

And Quaker Steak and Lube as a write in
I don't get Quaker steak. I have a friend who raves about it. My experience was disgusting. Kind of like a Fuddruckers version of BWW.
Chuy's is awful and I hope never comes to the burg. Then again, I've never been a big fan of "Tex-mex" style Mexican food.

Dave and Busters is better for entertainment purposes than food, but I'd give it a thumbs up.

Adalbertos is a great burrito joint.

Personally, I'd love to see a Brazilian steakhouse like Fogo de Chao.

It goes without saying I'd love to see an In N Out, but that's not realistic.
Lynchburg finally got a Bojangles (x3), so I'm happy. I think I even ate there with Sly when he was in town years ago!
Cider Jim wrote:Lynchburg finally got a Bojangles (x3), so I'm happy. I think I even ate there with Sly when he was in town years ago!
The Cheddar Bo should be on the controlled substance list. That thing is amazing
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Dave and Busters

And Quaker Steak and Lube as a write in
I don't get Quaker steak. I have a friend who raves about it. My experience was disgusting. Kind of like a Fuddruckers version of BWW.
The burgers are awful
BUT the Arizona Ranch extra crispy flappers only are divine
The Kentucky burboun ribs are also tasty
Onion rings are also solid.....and served on a car antenna
ATrain wrote:Just to throw a couple out b/c they haven't been mentioned:
Whataburger
White Castle
Now we're talking! And I'd throw in the southern version of White Castle--Krystals!!!

And please bring back Sonic. Having to constantly watch those TV commercials is just CRUEL. :pale
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Isn't Dave & Busters a bit played out? But Quaker Steak & Lube is always a great call. Lynchburg still lacks a quality wings joint and that would seal the deal.

If you are going for a Cincy chain, instead of Tom + Chee I'd rather see either Skyline or Gold Star Chili come to town. And no, Texas Inn is not the same thing.

Any burrito chain outside of the corporate cardboard that goes by Chipotle. There are a slew of better options led by Freebirds.

Put a Chuy's in Lynchburg and I will begin running out of reasons to not move back to Virginia. Richmond is just too far of a drive when you get a hankering for TexMex.

Chuy's is fantastic! When we lived in Richmond, we went almost twice a month! You can't beat their salsa bar past 4PM. Also, the Elvis Green Chili Fried Chicken is incredible. I don't typically brag on chains but we would be in Lynchburg way more often if their were a Chuy's.
By JakeP50
Registration Days Posts
I definitely want to try Quaker Steak, their wings look really good.To get really obscure if Iron Rooster wants to make their third location a really bold expansion attempt, I could think of worse cities than Lynchburg. Those homemade pop-tarts have ruined the actual Pop-Tarts from the store forever for me.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I really really really like Abuelo's in Roanoke. There's a lot of things I want to try there but I dont go to roanoke a ton so whenever I do go, I feel like I have to order something that I KNOW is good.
thepostman wrote:I pass a quaker steak regularly for work but never thought much about it. Now I am rethinking that.
If you need help ordering, contact me I'm fat. I know food
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I pass a quaker steak regularly for work but never thought much about it. Now I am rethinking that.
Good call. Contact Haize. He knows about Quantity over Quality. lol

For my money, stick with BWW, or Zaxby's.
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Good call. Contact Haize. He knows about Quantity over Quality. I chortle audibly.

For my money, stick with BWW, or Zaxby's.
BWW is sewer refuse
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I really really really like Abuelo's in Roanoke. There's a lot of things I want to try there but I dont go to roanoke a ton so whenever I do go, I feel like I have to order something that I KNOW is good.

I used to love that place...was a family favorite. But the last three times that I've been the service has been bad and the food has been under cooked, over cooked or just lacks flavor. We haven't been in a while though, so if you go soon and it's better, let me know because we loved that place until about six months ago.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
My wife is from cincy so I notice a lot of cinch recommendations here. Man white Castle and Tom chee's are awful to me. I just had city barbeque last week. It was solid and a huge quantity but I would put mission bbq in roanoke way ahead of it. Not sure if its a chain or not. Nick and Jims is a another good bbq option. It may be just nicks now. I miss Pueblo Viejo so much in lynchburg.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
My mom told me last night on the phone that she was disappointed Chili's was coming and is really hoping for Carraba's. Last time I ate at Carraba's, I wasn't impressed.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Quaker Steak & Lube is hands down the best wings chain IMHO. We used to go to the original one in Sharon, PA back when my parents lived up that way. Now that they have franchised out the inevitable slight drop of quality came with it. But it still stands head & shoulders above BWW. Thai'R Cracker is my personal favorite flavor but I love going on Tuesday nights for all-you-can-eat wing night. Guy like Haize and I can do some serious damage.

Carrabba's is a better version of chain Italian than Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill. Italian rarely works in chains but Carrabba's and Johnny Carino's are two Texas-based chains that do a solid job.

My stomach just turned at the mere mention of White Castle. That chain alone is responsbile for sending numerous family members in Cincinnati to the emergency room. I rarely get Krystal Kravings but it is certainly a step up from White Castle.

Yacht Rock - We love In 'N Out Burger here in Texas. Once some of the older family members pass on, you can expect the chain to go national shortly thereafter. Texas was their first foray away from their California base. It won't be their last.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]