This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
And guess what is its primary driver of growth ...

Click Here for Source

Most of the growth is either in shale plays or sunny cities with suburban sprawl. That makes Bedford County stand out so much from the rest. Incidentally I just moved to #7 a couple of weeks ago and used to live in #10 at the height of the tech boom.
There's a really good reason for that increase, but unfortunately it's not that that many people moved into Bedford County in that time. The City of Bedford became a town again so the roughly 6,000 people who live in the town are now counted in the County's population where they weren't before.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
UVALibertyFan wrote:There's a really good reason for that increase, but unfortunately it's not that that many people moved into Bedford County in that time. The City of Bedford became a town again so the roughly 6,000 people who live in the town are now counted in the County's population where they weren't before.
:exactly

Since Sly wants to talk about Texas as well, the DFW area continues with a healthy rate of growth. Collin, Denton and Rockwall counties are all in the top 25. Dallas and Tarrant counties each added more residents that those three, but since each has about 2 million people, its hard to achieve a higher rate of growth :P I wouldn't mind moving to #6 though.
Last edited by ATrain on September 23rd, 2015, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
UVALibertyFan wrote:There's a really good reason for that increase, but unfortunately it's not that that many people moved into Bedford County in that time. The City of Bedford became a town again so the roughly 6,000 people who live in the town are now counted in the County's population where they weren't before.
Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that move.

The graphic above is just further evidence that eventually everyone moves to Texas or Florida.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I drive my Jeep though Bedford County every day to get from the Cider Ranch to school and back. :oldhag
Sly Fox wrote:

The graphic above is just further evidence that eventually everyone moves to Texas or Florida.
Don't know how in the world people can tolerate the heat down there. Especially Florida. Florida is just downright miserable late spring through early fall.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:

Don't know how in the world people can tolerate the heat down there. Especially Florida. Florida is just downright miserable late spring through early fall.
Agreed x 100. In laws just bought a place outside Orlando. So stinking hot. And this was May. Hadn't been to Disney before so we took the kids. Most magical part? The air conditioned buildings.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Orlando is too far from the beaches so that is your first mistake.

Although, for the record, the heat here in Dallas really isn't that bad. Its a little drier than places to the east.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Given a choice between six months of summer and dealing with winter, it is a no brainer. The only reason why some of you put up with sloshing around in dirty snow & ice for months on end is because you don't realize that it isn't necessary.

For the record, it rarely breaks 100 in Houston and often in the summer the temps are much higher in the Rust Belt where they don't have proper a/c than down here in Texas. It just stays hot here much longer. Swimming pools or shoveling snow? Tough call.

As for Orlando, the only place worse in Florida is Tallahassee. On the upside, you have every chain restaurant known to mankind if that is your thing.
Sly Fox wrote:Given a choice between six months of summer and dealing with winter, it is a no brainer. The only reason why some of you put up with sloshing around in dirty snow & ice for months on end is because you don't realize that it isn't necessary.

For the record, it rarely breaks 100 in Houston and often in the summer the temps are much higher in the Rust Belt where they don't have proper a/c than down here in Texas. It just stays hot here much longer. Swimming pools or shoveling snow? Tough call.

As for Orlando, the only place worse in Florida is Tallahassee. On the upside, you have every chain restaurant known to mankind if that is your thing.
I don't mind the snow when you have mountains to play on...other than that you're spot on.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Florida has best weather of any state.
While I don't live there anymore, there are many areas of California that may disagree.
Yeah, I like the heat, but I'd much rather have San Diego's weather.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
thepostman wrote:Orlando is too far from the beaches so that is your first mistake.

Although, for the record, the heat here in Dallas really isn't that bad. Its a little drier than places to the east.
My oven is a little drier too, but it's still hot.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ATrain wrote:

My oven is a little drier too, but it's still hot.
Yes, but Dallas doesn't get above 120 like your oven
Sly Fox wrote:Given a choice between six months of summer and dealing with winter, it is a no brainer. The only reason why some of you put up with sloshing around in dirty snow & ice for months on end is because you don't realize that it isn't necessary.

I'll gladly take the snow over 90+ degree heat. Especially when most years you don't even get one major snow. 90+ degree temperatures is pretty common in the summer. Perhaps the story would be different if I lived somewhere like New England.
Sly Fox wrote:Anything under 100 and the heat is no big deal once your blood adjusts after a winter. But sludging around in winter is miserable regardless of how thick your blood may be.
Occasional snow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> daily summer heat

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]