This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By badger74
Registration Days Posts
I agree the mall needs an updating, badly. We go there on hot days to walk. I count about 6 well located vacant shops which is not that bad. They just need to get more aggressive and make some deals. They should be able to find 3 a year and get the thing full if Macy's stays. If they lose Macy's and with Belk for sale and Penney's struggling the mall would likely fail. I doubt current mgt was doing anything of the sort. Interesting choice of agents too. When I was selling malls you never put it for the public to even know about. It was all very hush-hush with confidentiality letters for the buyers. With cheap money I can see this selling for a decent cap rate--around 8.5%-9.5% with good positive leverage. Needs hands-on ownership. Not an institution or REIT.
Last edited by badger74 on March 12th, 2016, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Aren't most of the mall ownership groups struggling these days? If with cheap financing, old properties like River Ridge can't be that attractive.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Aren't most of the mall ownership groups struggling these days? If with cheap financing, old properties like River Ridge can't be that attractive.
I think it's a problem everywhere. News came out last week that one of the local outdoor malls, Gulf Coast Town Center, is facing foreclosure. This place is booming with about a dozen outparcels having been built in the past year or two. It has large anchor stores including Bass Pro Shops. If those guys are struggling, I'd imagine it's a problem a lot of malls are facing.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Aren't most of the mall ownership groups struggling these days? If with cheap financing, old properties like River Ridge can't be that attractive.
North Park Mall here in Dallas is doing great
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:That's a no brainer
Yeah it would seem like it...
Purple Haize wrote:Further I predict this will be the start of the push for the co-owned Civic Center.
I don't believe it's viable, so I really hope this isn't the case. I really hope that the university concentrates on suring up the resident program for the future in a way that allows it to stand on its own should the online program experience strong headwinds at some point in the next 10-15 years.
LU wants a Civic Center almost as bad as they want to go FBS
Don't know who you heard that from... I don't believe it's the case though.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:Someone was throwing around a rumor at work yesterday that Macy's is closing.

Now Macy's is closing a bunch of stores, but I don't know that the Lynchburg location is one of them.
Never know... but there were rumors that Sam's was going to close once, as well. Who shops at Macy's Penney's, etc?
I don't know about anyone else... but JCP has great deals on decent brands. They are practically the only store I buy clothes at outside of outlet malls.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:Someone was throwing around a rumor at work yesterday that Macy's is closing.

Now Macy's is closing a bunch of stores, but I don't know that the Lynchburg location is one of them.
Never know... but there were rumors that Sam's was going to close once, as well. Who shops at Macy's Penney's, etc?
I don't know about anyone else... but JCP has great deals on decent brands. They are practically the only store I buy clothes at outside of outlet malls.
The big department stores never have anything in my size. The struggle is real for those of us with a bigger inseam than waist size.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:JCP has great deals on decent brands. They are practically the only store I buy clothes at outside of outlet malls.
You wear "mom jeans"? :lol:
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:JCP has great deals on decent brands. They are practically the only store I buy clothes at outside of outlet malls.
You wear "mom jeans"? :I chortle audibly.:
hahaha - you got me!

I only own three pairs of jeans. They have decent dress shirts and pants at a reasonable price. Everyone's soured on JCP... even the stock market. I like them though. I always get really good help when I need it from their workers too. I haven't had a bad shopping experience there yet.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Where are they going to move the operation to then?

Well, the N&A reports this AM that LUO will be moving to the Nationwide building on Graves Mill Rd.

For some reason, I can't post the link, but it isn't a rumor anymore.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Where are they going to move the operation to then?

Well, the N&A reports this AM that LUO will be moving to the Nationwide building on Graves Mill Rd.

For some reason, I can't post the link, but it isn't a rumor anymore.
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... 81506.html

There ya go
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I´ve been in that building and can tell you it is set up really well for LUO. Maybe not ¨move-in ready¨, but not too far from it as these things go. I suspect that being farther away from the main campus will be a slight adjustment, but they are pretty much doing their own thing, so it should be no big deal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I´ve been in that building and can tell you it is set up really well for LUO. Maybe not ¨move-in ready¨, but not too far from it as these things go. I suspect that being farther away from the main campus will be a slight adjustment, but they are pretty much doing their own thing, so it should be no big deal.
So long as they keep the money rolling in.....
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I would shop at Goodwill store before I'd go to Target.
In my area, Target donates a BUNCH of stuff to Goodwill. You'll see several items with Target clearance stickers on them in several of our Goodwill stores.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:In my area, Target donates a BUNCH of stuff to Goodwill. You'll see several items with Target clearance stickers on them in several of our Goodwill stores.
The goodwill near my inlaws is the same way... there is no Target within 45 minutes of the goodwill. Is that the case for you?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
NewsAdvance.com wrote:Mall business owners mixed on impact of LU's pending departure

Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 9:16 pm
By Jason Ruiter

Several business owners contacted about the future departure of Liberty University Online at River Ridge mall say they expect the exodus of about 1,000 employees to have varying degrees of impact on their bottom line.
Click Here for Full Story
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like the coffee shop will take a hit, but the Farmer's Garden, not so much.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
AND...the mall just went under contract. Sale had been listed as pending since December. Any one have an idea who the buyer is?
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]