This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I miss Montgomery Wards. I bought my first leather jacket there in the 1980s. :oldhag
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Steinmart, DSW, Home Goods
Red Robin, Bonefish Grill

Could also poach Dick's or add a Field and Stream instead.

Just thinking about what is seen in other markets. I've been a big critic of LU's retail "investment" strategy, but am hopeful that we will finally see some positive changes. Nothing makes college students more excited than a bunch of empty storefronts!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id go for Marshalls personally. As for restaurants, definitely Red Robin, perhaps Smokey Bones in the old Hams building (would need a bit of renovation of course)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Steinmart, DSW, Home Goods
Red Robin, Bonefish Grill

Could also poach Dick's or add a Field and Stream instead.
This is more in line with what we might see here.

The thing to keep in mind is that some retailers only like to set up shop in already successful places with established heavy foot traffic.
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote:Is "Home Goods" like a discount "Pier 1"?
Exactly. It's TJMaxx without the clothes. Which is why it won't go right next to a TJMaxx.

Oh and they're sister companies.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Is "Home Goods" like a discount "Pier 1"?
Exactly. It's TJMaxx without the clothes. Which is why it won't go right next to a TJMaxx.

Oh and they're sister companies.
Actually, it does happen. In Charlotte, Rivergate has a TJ Maxx, Home Goods and Marshalls...all TJX companies. TJMaxx and Home Goods are more dissimilar.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:the old Hams site has had a hotel on it for years. Microtel Suites.
Well drat...i think a Smokey Bones would be a good addition
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For years it used to be called Marshalls Home Goods. I still see some of the signage here around Houston when Mrs. Sly is dragging me through shopping districts.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As far as restaurants, definitely Red Robin, maybe Carrabas or Romanos, Get another steakhouse in that area (btw i would love to try Crown if it is still around)...really diversify the food offerings among sitdown places
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:As far as restaurants, definitely Red Robin, maybe Carrabas or Romanos, Get another steakhouse in that area (btw i would love to try Crown if it is still around)...really diversify the food offerings among sitdown places
The Crown Sterling is still chugging along. The old Big Lick/El Camino building currently has a 40+ members only style club in it that seems to do well most nights.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: i would love to try Crown if it is still around
BJ, the Crown even has a lunch menu now that is a little more reasonable in price. :fineprint
Last edited by Cider Jim on September 18th, 2018, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
BJ, they even has a lunch menu now that is a little more reasonable in price. :fineprint
Wow.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
BJ, they even has a lunch menu now that is a little more reasonable in price. :fineprint
Wow.
Marshall fans. What do you expect
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think that was CJ's attempt at Southern humor and not a grammatical error based on track record.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I sometimes wonder if the university side of Lynchburg can support a restaurant that averages more than $15/plate.
Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's, and Red Lobster seem to do okay and hover around that area.
By Jonathan Carone
Yacht Rock wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I sometimes wonder if the university side of Lynchburg can support a restaurant that averages more than $15/plate.
Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Logan's, and Red Lobster seem to do okay and hover around that area.
Yep. That's what makes me wonder if that's the cap. I don't think you'd have a Bonefish, Abuelos, or higher end chain come in.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I should NEVER post before I've had my first cup of coffee. :oops: I meant to say the "Crown has..."

I also admit to having visited Morgantown 3 times in my life. That negative influence still lingers sometimes in my speech and writing. :wink:
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:
Yep. That's what makes me wonder if that's the cap. I don't think you'd have a Bonefish, Abuelos, or higher end chain come in.
Something new might eat (pun intended) into those other locations. I think a lot depends on the mall remodel and if it can become more of a destination again. A lot hinges on other development.

A new place wouldn't necessarily fail either. If it's a quality place it could probably be successful, but it could displace one of the existing places like Texas Roadhouse or something. Ruby Tuesdays didn't fare well and still remains vacant.

All this to say, who knows.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]