This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Two? What's the other one? I read about Mr Craft's sudden passing but I was not aware of a second tragedy
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Grandson died on a motorcycle coming off the lot.
He worked at the Billy Craft Chrysler/Jeep. My wife and I had a test drive of a vehicle with him about a month before the accident. We didn't know him, but he was a young kid (~19/20) that wanted to be in the family business from our car ride with him.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Here's an article posted today from the WSJ...nothing groundbreaking but some interesting excerpts:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/second-tier ... 1461089846
And last month, Mr. Falwell’s Liberty University paid about $33 million for a 75% stake in River Ridge Mall, next to its Lynchburg, Va., campus.

“It will never be what I call an ‘A’ mall,” said Mr. Falwell. But it is the only regional mall within more than 50 miles, and the university expects to upgrade the property and sell it in a few years, he said. “We’ll be able to make a substantial profit,” said Mr. Falwell. The university and the community will benefit from having a more appealing property as a neighbor, he said.

In all, Liberty has about $1.3 billion in investments, including other real estate, according to Mr. Falwell. Less than 30% is in equities, he said.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:Here's an article posted today from the WSJ...nothing groundbreaking but some interesting excerpts:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/second-tier ... 1461089846
And last month, Mr. Falwell’s Liberty University paid about $33 million for a 75% stake in River Ridge Mall, next to its Lynchburg, Va., campus.

“It will never be what I call an ‘A’ mall,” said Mr. Falwell. But it is the only regional mall within more than 50 miles, and the university expects to upgrade the property and sell it in a few years, he said. “We’ll be able to make a substantial profit,” said Mr. Falwell. The university and the community will benefit from having a more appealing property as a neighbor, he said.

In all, Liberty has about $1.3 billion in investments, including other real estate, according to Mr. Falwell. Less than 30% is in equities, he said.
Sounds like a strategy written by the Benham brothers.

We know that we can build buildings and make them look pretty. The real question is, can we play nice with stores/vendors and increase the foot-traffic in the mall? If we can, then sure, I'd say the strategy is doable. I imagine he has a suitor in mind potentially, if he's already talking about a future sale.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Didn't they establish an open air farmers market near the campus last year. I read something about adding outdoor vendors at the mall. Might be a nice fit. Fresh vegetables and some outdoor cafes.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That comes down to marketing and promotions for starters...and then getting stores into the mall that people a) cannot find anywhere else and b) shoppers in this region would find appealing...and of course playing nice with those stores as H_O notes.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Didn't they establish an open air farmers market near the campus last year.
Every Thursday afternoon in the Doc Diner's parking lot until 6:00 p.m.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:Didn't they establish an open air farmers market near the campus last year.
Every Thursday afternoon in the Doc Diner's parking lot until 6:00 p.m.

3-6 pm. And it is FANTASTIC!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If theyre smart, what they could do is take a survey of the students and local population and ask them what stores they want that area not already in the mall. This way they feel some sort of investment in the project. Itll be up to the school ti find people to fill the spaces and bring those places to life.

One Id like to see is Hobbytown USA
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:If theyre smart, what they could do is take a survey of the students and local population and ask them what stores they want that area not already in the mall. This way they feel some sort of investment in the project. Itll be up to the school ti find people to fill the spaces and bring those places to life.

One Id like to see is Hobbytown USA
One thing retailers don't seem to care to much about is whether the locals want them. More important would be how the demographics look and what kind of space is available. Plenty of opportunities out there... H and M, Home Goods, DSW, maybe an expanded Dicks or some competitor (the one in Harrisonburg is great!) These are all found in areas that compare demographically. Restaurants would be no problem. The plans are already drawn up and I'd bet there are already some tenants lined up. Liberty is really pushing to get into their new digs, so maybe they'll be moving forward on the mall sooner rather than later.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: Liberty is really pushing to get into their new digs, so maybe they'll be moving forward on the mall sooner rather than later.
Not from what I hear. Other departments are moving right in after the move out. I don't know how long term those moves might be.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Macy's has announced they are closing the River Ridge Mall Location. JLFJR has announced that Liberty is buying and has a new tenant in mind which will be "very beneficial to the redevelopment of the mall": http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/f ... f1802.html
What's he going to say? 'We've identified a new tenant who really sucks but its all we could get'?

Well, come to think of it, based on most of the PR releases.......
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Macy's has announced they are closing the River Ridge Mall Location. JLFJR has announced that Liberty is buying and has a new tenant in mind which will be "very beneficial to the redevelopment of the mall": http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/f ... f1802.html
What's he going to say? 'We've identified a new tenant who really sucks but its all we could get'?

Well, come to think of it, based on most of the PR releases.......
The second coming of Value City?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I'm guessing it's someone like Dave & Busters... Would do very well in Lynchburg.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
The J Crew outlet is also closing up. Sometimes it seems like Lynchburg is growing, but then it can't seem to sustain much.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:The J Crew outlet is also closing up. Sometimes it seems like Lynchburg is growing, but then it can't seem to sustain much.
I think their issue is location. I think J.Crew could open an outlet at the Mall and it would do pretty well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:These are not Lynchburg issues. These are national retail issues that won't be resolved anytime soon.
Yeah. Not sure you can blame The Falwell's for closing Macy stores in Ohio. Ironically those Ohio shoppers had similar complaints about the store some Lynchburg residents did
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Retail is dying. Only stores that are diversified and include perishables will survive against Amazon and the internet. There is a reason all Walmart's and Targets now all have mini groceries in them.

I spent 5 years in Retail when we opened a running store. Did fairly well for 3 years, then all our shoe suppliers started selling the same shoes to sites like runningwarehouse.com and not restricting them to sell at MSRP. We had people coming in everyday, spending 30 minutes trying on shoes, leave, and buy them online. I called 3 of the top brands we sold - 2 said the same thing. "you know what they are doing in California right now? Charging a $10 fitting fee, if you don't buy shoes."

That's not happening in Lynchburg or anywhere else, outside of Cali, for that matter.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Riverside Runners does a good job. I know they lose to online retailers but they've figured it out
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple buys running shoes? :shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Purple buys running shoes? :shock:
I'm full of surprises

WSET confirmed there will NOT be a Dave and Busters
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]