This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:I'm curious. I thought maybe someone here has heard something. Hoping it isn't LU!
I'm hoping someone else bought it and will donate it to the university for $1. Lol
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
rogers3 wrote:I'm curious. I thought maybe someone here has heard something. Hoping it isn't LU!
I'm hoping someone else bought it and will donate it to the university for $1. I chortle audibly.
Well Trump has the money. I always thought Jerry was gunning for a future cabinet position in the event of a Trump win, but maybe the payoff for the Trump tour is the mall.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Donald J Trump Convocation and Athletic Center
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Maybe this is the REAL reason Trump can't release his tax returns from '15. Sorry... I figured I'd add to the ridiculous speculation seeing as how none of us know anything. Our mall is terrible, but it will be a hit to the area if we lose it altogether. Unless, someone has the plans and capital in place to build an outdoor mall in a more tax friendly area...
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:In reality there is no one else to vote for.
Normally I wouldn't cross post, but just for you...

Why I Am Not Voting For Donald Trump On Super Tuesday

1. I agree with a prominent leader who said that voting for president isn't a vote for "pastor in chief." Furthermore, I believe that there is no "ideal" candidate, one which "checks off every box" you might wish to see in a president. However, the person I choose to vote for must meet certain standards in terms of his or her character. I was raised to be a "gentleman." I expect the president to reflect the same sort of character.
2. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ and am looking for someone who most closely matches my worldview. Being a disciple comes before any political party or other ideology. The implications of being a disciple require active introspection and evaluation of my beliefs, attitudes and actions. One consequence of being a disciple is that I am called to love everyone, especially those who are different than me or with those with whom I disagree. The policy positions of anyone I support must match as closely as possible to those ideals.
3. Only after the first two criteria are established, I then look for a principled conservative, who stands on the conviction of his or her beliefs.

There are a wide range of candidates this year, but perhaps in people's minds a dearth of a single "great" one. I have long considered myself a "republican," indeed, I was elected as a delegate from my home state's 2000 primary. My party affiliation is more serious than most voters, but it does not define me, nor limit for whom I will vote.

I don't know whom I will vote for in November, but while I have more sound options, I cannot in good faith endorse or vote for Donald Trump.

1. He isn't a gentleman and is lacking in basic morality and civility. I can't believe that fellow "evangelicals," who lambasted and called for the impeachment of Bill Clinton, can now be enthusiastically supporting Trump now. It is an absolute disgrace. The hypocrisy is on us!
2. Much of Trump's support comes from his capitalization of fear and unrest. It is easy to "love your neighbor" when the economy is good, but "love" isn't love when it comes only during the good times. I believe that we DO need to "secure the border," but I also believe that we can help others. At the very least, as a nation we need to own up to the fact that WE have encouraged illegal immigration. Republicans, Democrats, Corporations and private citizens have all contributed to the problem. Whatever solutions we look to MUST take into consideration the value and dignity of those who tried to give their families a better life by coming to the greatest nation on earth.
3. Lastly, I know that many do not share my religious and cultural perspective, but from a pragmatic/political standpoint how can anyone honestly say that they trust the man? Every issue and position which he stands firm on to "make America great" he has publicly held the opposite view! He has funded candidates that he will presumably have to campaign against!

On Super Tuesday, voters in many states where I have friends & family will have the opportunity to cast a vote. Many of you, like me, will pull the lever for a "Republican" candidate. There are plenty of (albeit imperfect) candidates to choose from. Please consider voting for someone other than Trump. I could see myself voting for any of them in November.

For a number of reasons, I am voting for Marco Rubio. Although he isn't an "evangelical," I believe that he by and large shares my worldview. He appears to be a good man who would be a good role model for our children. I also believe that he is uniquely situated to help heal the racial divide in our country. Politics aside, the greatest failure of the past eight years is that the country is more divided over race than it was before. We do need someone who is serious about sealing the border, but we also need someone who can unite us as a people. Only then can we really hope to Make America Great Again.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:AND...the mall just went under contract. Sale had been listed as pending since December. Any one have an idea who the buyer is?
The whole mall? I know a Marriott Residence Inn is going where the Kia Dealership used to be.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
rogers3 wrote:AND...the mall just went under contract. Sale had been listed as pending since December. Any one have an idea who the buyer is?
The whole mall? I know a Marriott Residence Inn is going where the Kia Dealership used to be.
Yes...I think it was listed for 43M. I'm assuming (based on Liberty comments after announcing the move to Graves Mill) that the Sears property will be up for sale at some point, as well. I was wondering if it wasn't all done at the same time. The contract for the mall has been pending for a couple of months. Funny how it goes under contract as LU is moving. Tear the Sears down add some new outdoor space with a couple more pad sites...or just keep letting it longer in the tooth!
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Several top malls around Seattle did just that--expanded with section of exterior open air shops adjacent but not in the main mall. I would buy the Sears site and any other out parcels I could get if I were buying the mall. Some of the other anchors might be on long-term ground leases as well as some of the pad stores. Minor technicality really

I'm too out of the loop to know anything and most of my recent contacts are west coast. I'm sure the broker at CBRE (my former employer) in Richmond who handles Lynchburg for LU and others would know something. But I dont know him.

http://www.cbre.us/o/richmond/people/ro ... rview.aspx

http://www.alderwoodmall.com/en/directory/map.html

http://bellevuecollection.com/visit-here/location/
Last edited by badger74 on March 12th, 2016, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Any thoughts on Movies 10? Any chance of a theatre?
I saw rumors somewhere that a trampoline park was taking over the space
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Trampoline parks have been the flavor of the month for about a year or so. But it does seem like trends seem to last longer in Lynchburg than elsewhere.

Thanks for the insights, badger74. As long as the sale is pending it could still go south and that's why I would expect the buyers are playing it close to the vest.
By rhezick
HenryGale wrote:
God help us all. That would be quite depressing. A once great establishment enjoyed by the masses relegated to a trampoline park. I mean, I guess it could be sustainable, but just the thought of anything other than a theater is quite sad.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
It would be nice if they could renovate that theater into something similar to Cinebistro in Hampton Roads or Alamo Drafthouse down here.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Interesting timing: Movies 10 was a cinemark theatre. It was announced yesterday that they are being purchased by AMC theatres to form the largest chain in the country.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:
I think this is happening. LU is opening one there.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Any broker on such a large deal will have signed a confidentiality letter not to disclose anything until after the closing. As a disclosure state the price will be reported post closing. However--there can be other considerations so the reported price might not reflect the entire deal. Seller might provide an escrow for the leasing costs on the vacant spaces and ground leases if any can distort the price.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]