This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:
alabama24 wrote:If one of the three restaurants ain't red robin, I'm going to scream. :) Abuelos would be good for another one.
I all for a Red Robin! But Abuelos is WAAAYYYYY overpriced!
We went a couple of times and I didn't like it, but my wife did. The third time was the charm. I don't think I would like anything there that you could get at a "regular" Mexican restaurant. I can't remember what my dish is called, but it is chicken breasts with a spicy cream sauce, and I get the mashed potatoes with peppers in them. Goooood. If there was one in Lynchburg, we would probably go ~4 times a year (similar to Olive Garden).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Chuy's is now available in Virginia. If you want TexMex, that is a far superior chain. And they have the coolest t-shirts on the planet. Red Robin is always solid as well. I have to admit that the chains have improved in recent years in Lynchburg.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Obviously everyone has different tastes but I went to Chuy's in Austin a few years ago, not the Richmond location. I was disappointed because I love "Mexican" food. I look forward to some of the local places I love when I head back to California this summer.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thta's like saying I love American food. The varieties of Mexican are as diverse as in our country. Chuy's is TexMex with some New Mexico influence ... both derived from Jalisco-style. Austin is the mother ship for Chuy's and I have eaten at every location in Central Texas multiple times with never a disappointment. If you are looking for Sonoran-style Chimichangas and Chile Rellenos, you would be disappointed.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
That's why I put it in quotations. I understand there are many varieties. While Tex mex isn't high on my list of varieties, I've definitely had better than Chuy's when it comes to that style. But we all have different tastes so it's just an opinion. But I'm thinking I might ask my wife to make her enchiladas tonight. I'm getting hungry.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:That's just what we need... more restaurants.
Then what would you suggest that gets put into the mall area?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
My next Mexican food will be my first Mexican food. I have never understood why Americans like Mexican food so much. (or any foreign food). Only 2 places in Lynchburg I eat at are Applebees, Country Cookin and Burger King.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Alright, I'm now convinced ^^^ is a parody account. Who's the wiseguy?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:My next Mexican food will be my first Mexican food. I have never understood why Americans like Mexican food so much. (or any foreign food). Only 2 places in Lynchburg I eat at are Applebees, Country Cookin and Burger King.
You realize that Burger King is now Canadian, right?
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Alright, I'm now convinced ^^^ is a parody account. Who's the wiseguy?
My thoughts exactly. Most of the "foreign" restaurants in the US (Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, etc.) have been Americanized in a very heavy way to the point where they really are American cuisine, and not in any way related to what they actually in in the "country of origin."
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Some real entertainment. More modern clothing stores/shops. Candler's Mt Road expansion.

At the end of the day, this move by LU is all about where the center of Lynchburg is/will be.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:My next Mexican food will be my first Mexican food. I have never understood why Americans like Mexican food so much. (or any foreign food). Only 2 places in Lynchburg I eat at are Applebees, Country Cookin and Burger King.
Any that is 3, not 2...
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
ATrain wrote:
AND that is 3, not 2...
FTFY
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
ATrain wrote:
Some real entertainment. More modern clothing stores/shops. Candler's Mt Road expansion.

At the end of the day, this move by LU is all about where the center of Lynchburg is/will be.
Doesn't matter what happens in the mall, I don't think it will define the center of Lynchburg; that being said, I am hoping for some stores with a bit more of a regional draw. Fact is, college students seem drawn to the downtown area, and college age/young singles are moving down there as fast as they add apartments and condos. I doubt that discriminating diners will ever find anything of value added in the Ward's Rd/LU area and I don't think that Ward's Rd is going to have much on the Old Forest Rd/Lakeside Dr area in the next 3-4 years.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:

Doesn't matter what happens in the mall, I don't think it will define the center of Lynchburg; that being said, I am hoping for some stores with a bit more of a regional draw. Fact is, college students seem drawn to the downtown area, and college age/young singles are moving down there as fast as they add apartments and condos. I doubt that discriminating diners will ever find anything of value added in the Ward's Rd/LU area and I don't think that Ward's Rd is going to have much on the Old Forest Rd/Lakeside Dr area in the next 3-4 years.[/quote]

Are you saying the development at the corner of the expressway and lakeside may finally happen?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
What specific foods do you actually like? Hard to get more generic than the three places you mentioned.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Doesn't matter what happens in the mall, I don't think it will define the center of Lynchburg; that being said, I am hoping for some stores with a bit more of a regional draw. Fact is, college students seem drawn to the downtown area, and college age/young singles are moving down there as fast as they add apartments and condos. I doubt that discriminating diners will ever find anything of value added in the Ward's Rd/LU area and I don't think that Ward's Rd is going to have much on the Old Forest Rd/Lakeside Dr area in the next 3-4 years.
Will it define it? No, it will not be the end-all decider, but I'd bet real money that it's one of the motivations LU had in purchasing the mall, aside from the fact that it has a chance to be a very good investment if they can line up good suitors for the spaces they plan to develop. Also, I'll take that bet on Ward's Rd. vs Old Forest Rd/Lakeside. The development of more hotels, plus the expansion of restaurants further down Wards into Campbell County, all the while considering what will likely be the development of a medical park is going to trump whatever goes on around the OF/Lakeside area. That's not to say OF Rd/Lakeside won't grow. It will... but it's not going to be a center the way Wards Rd. will be.
I'll agree that younger folks are more attracted to living spaces downtown. But most of those spaces are too high cost for students, and are actually occupied by recent grads or just-married couples and not students.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
There is a TON of land between the cloverleaf to 460 and the Lynchburg airport so I would not be surprised to se that developed more as the years go by
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wards Road and Old Forest Road are completely different types of development. Both are needed for overall growth of metro. Practically everything in Greater Lynchburg is within 15-20 minutes of campus.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Doesn't matter what happens in the mall, I don't think it will define the center of Lynchburg; that being said, I am hoping for some stores with a bit more of a regional draw. Fact is, college students seem drawn to the downtown area, and college age/young singles are moving down there as fast as they add apartments and condos. I doubt that discriminating diners will ever find anything of value added in the Ward's Rd/LU area and I don't think that Ward's Rd is going to have much on the Old Forest Rd/Lakeside Dr area in the next 3-4 years.
Will it define it? No, it will not be the end-all decider, but I'd bet real money that it's one of the motivations LU had in purchasing the mall, aside from the fact that it has a chance to be a very good investment if they can line up good suitors for the spaces they plan to develop. Also, I'll take that bet on Ward's Rd. vs Old Forest Rd/Lakeside. The development of more hotels, plus the expansion of restaurants further down Wards into Campbell County, all the while considering what will likely be the development of a medical park is going to trump whatever goes on around the OF/Lakeside area. That's not to say OF Rd/Lakeside won't grow. It will... but it's not going to be a center the way Wards Rd. will be.
I'll agree that younger folks are more attracted to living spaces downtown. But most of those spaces are too high cost for students, and are actually occupied by recent grads or just-married couples and not students.
The demographics between the two areas are significant. The majority of higher income residents live a ten-15 minute drive from Wards Rd, with most out past the OFR/Lakeside area. While the mall is going to be redeveloped soon, I'd wager that the next bid shopping area will be built somewhere around that OFR intersection. Wouldn't be surprised to see something developed where Billy Craft Honda stands after they move.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Where are they moving to? They just built that giant service center
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Where are they moving to? They just built that giant service center
Big space beside Sheetz is the rumor. They bought it last fall and they have submitted plans to the city. I wonder if the two family tragedies will change their direction, though.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]