This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
That makes sense. When I read the rumor earlier, I thought, "No way." But I didn't want to slam it down and be a jerk about it. Truth is, every Dave & Buster's I've seen has been a much more populated urban/suburban area. It's more mini- theme park and destination than restaurant-only. It needs foot traffic, and it's not the kind of place people go to weekly. It would be fun though.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Maybe its a convention/civic center to be managed/run by an entity with experience in those types of things. :twisted:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Maybe its a convention/civic center to be managed/run by an entity with experience in those types of things. :twisted:
The Mall is the most logical place for LU to put their Convention Center
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:This isn't new, but I just saw it for the first time tonight. Apparently LU is planning to dump 100 million into renovating the Mall. "There has been some rumors circulating about what's in the works including new food courts, national chains, and $100 million being put in to renovating the building."

https://wset.com/news/local/new-excitem ... n=internal
This was mentioned by a random person in a Facebook group a few months ago and WSET ran with it as a story.

Sadly, I haven’t seen anything to substantiate that LU is planning on dumping money into the mall outside talk of vague “plans.”

I will add though that I first saw someone mention this on the same Facebook thread where it was revealed that Steak N Shake was turning into Taco Bell so there could be some truth to it.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
This becomes a topic of discussion on the radio.

Hobby Lobby is coming it sounds like. A few years ago I saw a real estate flyer listing Hobby Lobby as the future tenant at the K-Mart shopping center so I think it's obvious this deal has been in the works for awhile.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I made the call on Hobby Lobby to K Mart building about a month ago. My source was correct.
Blind squirrels, acorns and stopped watches all come to mind. :roll:
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I made the call on Hobby Lobby to K Mart building about a month ago. My source was correct.
Blind squirrels, acorns and stopped watches all come to mind. :roll:
Not to mention YR's post above about seeing it a couple years ago.
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote:Please be Costco, Please be Costco, Please be Costco!
Not a chance they put that in the mall. Everything is indicating that this is going to be an updated facility and will be an attraction to get more people in the mall.

So we have 3 stores and 2 restaurants(that are associated with malls)

My guesses on the stores are:
Apple
Orvis
White House Black Market
Crate + Barrel

My guesses on the Restaurants are:
Rainforest Cafe
Texas de Brazil
Red Robin

This is based on guesses about who would help revive the mall. The "anchors" are effectively interchangeable and will not determine the long term health of the facility.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm personally hoping for a nice cafeteria. Years ago, we used to have our Flames Club luncheons at a cafeteria in the mall. :oldhag
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Based on what I read somewhere this morning, I think a cafeteria is on the way.

I wish Value City would return.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: My guesses on the stores are:
Apple
Orvis
White House Black Market
Crate + Barrel
Are any of those "big box" stores (which is what was described?) Costco would get people to the Mall. I'd love to see Apple... doubt it will happen. Hope I'm wrong!
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
We need to keep in mind that the mall would need to undergo a lot of changes and prove that it could have nonstop foot traffic to attract some of the names you guys are tossing out. LOL.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Also, consider that Roanoke has a much more attractive mall situation. I highly doubt we would attract some better retailers or restaurants than they've been able to. That's just my speculation but the mall would need to make some major changes to fit some of those names you guys are tossing out.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I wish Value City would return.
They went out of business 10 years ago.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I wish Value City would return.
They went out of business 10 years ago.
Probably wants Radio Shack too
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:And a VHS rental place for good measure!
Hollywood Video!
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]