This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

YR, I've told you what the terms of the LU scholarship were. If somebody at one of these four schools did a poor job of explaining how it worked or explaining how it would work if it were not cancelled in the future, that didn't come from LU or even LCA leadership, I'm sure. All the terms were publicized. And I am told that all parents signed a contract with LCA each year saying they understood the scholarship could be changed, suspended or eliminated at any time or something to that effect. That was one of the 2012 changes required by LU to avoid confusion like this. I think you even implied in one of your posts or e mails that you were aware that the scholarship was subject to change. I hope all this helps but I'm going to bed!
Good salesmen always try to accentuate the positive and down play the negative. I would be surprised if that was proactively brought up. If it was I'm sure it was minimalised because it had never been done before.

I will say it would be nice if the scholarships for missionary kids would be addressed. I'm not sure of the particulars but if they were done away with that would be sad. I would think a school flush with as much cash as LU could work it out.
First of all I assumed the "superintendent" and head of admissions we spoke to during enrollment in LCA were considered leadership.

As far as the disclaimer, it certainly wasn't in use in any of the material we processesed as part of our interest and its inclusion in the contract was explained as a typical disclaimer that Liberty would only take advantage of in financial exigency. Wait, I've heard that before.
JLFJR wrote:...if the disclaimer is still included, it is not so that benefits already earned can be revoked. We have never done that and never would do that absent financial exigencies.
The reality is, as a parent, I was there when LCA leadership explained how it worked. You weren't there and are making assumptions.

The irony is that even last week I spoke to LCA leadership and they were certain that LU would continue to allow accrual for students already enrolled but just not accrue for students who enroll after Sept 1st. Obviously they were wrong and must not have gotten your memo.

My point is, don't try to play this off as parental misunderstanding. Every parent I have spoken with at LCA did not expect this or was told to anticipate this at any moment. Obviously, as PH says, they were overselling the scholarship and minimizing any chance of it being cancelled. We trusted their word along with a lot of other parents and we wound up On the losing end.
Purple Haize wrote:Good salesmen always try to accentuate the positive and down play the negative. I would be surprised if that was proactively brought up. If it was I'm sure it was minimalised because it had never been done before.

I will say it would be nice if the scholarships for missionary kids would be addressed. I'm not sure of the particulars but if they were done away with that would be sad. I would think a school flush with as much cash as LU could work it out.
My wife use to rant about the lack of missionary scholarships when we were in school she never understood why pastor kids got them but missionary kids did not. If course she did fairly well in school so was able to take advantage of some other scholarships that helped a great deal but as a missionary kid she couldn't quite understand that one.

It was my understanding that they brought missionary scholarships back after we graduated in 2008 but I'm not certain about that.
Yacht Rock wrote:Check out page 50 of this recent presentation used within the last few weeks. No disclaimer or mention of it ending after any given year.

http://www.lcabulldogs.com/media/9910/A ... tation.pdf

This page which was active as of last week stated
"A FULL Tuition Liberty University scholarship is given to every LCA student who attends from grades 3 - 12."

http://www.lcabulldogs.com/index.cfm?pid=19609

When we began enrolling our children into LCA in early 2013, this is the document we were provided.

http://www.lcabulldogs.com/media/9910/s ... arship.pdf
I would say this is misleading, at best. Sure, you should have read the fine print, but it's not a good look for LCA or LU.
thepostman wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Good salesmen always try to accentuate the positive and down play the negative. I would be surprised if that was proactively brought up. If it was I'm sure it was minimalised because it had never been done before.

My wife use to rant about the lack of missionary scholarships when we were in school she never understood why pastor kids got them but missionary kids did not. If course she did fairly well in school so was able to take advantage of some other scholarships that helped a great deal but as a missionary kid she couldn't quite understand that one.

It was my understanding that they brought missionary scholarships back after we graduated in 2008 but I'm not certain about that.
I hope so. Like I said I don't have any dog in the fight but to me that is sort of a core thing for a place like LU
olldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:So they do offer full scholarships now to missionary kids which is totally the right move but too bad for people like my wife. Maybe that's the ticket for YR, become a missionary!!!
Or get a job at LU.
My wife has thought about it. I wouldn't be able to do it. I don't think LU can afford my particular set of skills.
But here is the thing, in business terms, it doesn't really matter. How many of these upset parents will still send their kids to LU? And the ones who don't won't really be statistically significant. There will be little, if any, fall out in enrollment at LU because of this decision
I fully understand the reasoning behind LU reevaluating the way these funds have been allocated. The way things have been, it would appear that along with the many worthy and needy recipients, at a minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars annually may have been going to students who do not really need or deserve them simply because they attended certain schools, while other local students who may in fact be more deserving were not eligible.

However......... since this has been in the works for a few years, it looks to me like someone dropped the ball bigtime regarding the ongoing advertising of LU scholarships for students at these specific schools without a clear disclosure of plans to discontinue them. Could end up being a very costly mistake. On first glance, it looks to me like something should be done about this.
olldflame wrote:I fully understand the reasoning behind LU reevaluating the way these funds have been allocated. The way things have been, it would appear that along with the many worthy and needy recipients, at a minimum hundreds of thousands of dollars annually may have been going to students who do not really need or deserve them simply because they attended certain schools, while other local students who may in fact be more deserving were not eligible.

However......... since this has been in the works for a few years, it looks to me like someone dropped the ball bigtime regarding the ongoing advertising of LU scholarships for students at these specific schools without a clear disclosure of plans to discontinue them. Could end up being a very costly mistake. On first glance, it looks to me like something should be done about this.
Yeah, if it was communicated that they were phasing these out, I would have a totally different opinion of the situation. And I agree, there are a lot of families that can afford both. Unfortunately, ours is not one of them.
Yeah. I don't have any issue with them spreading the funds around. Having more performance based scholarships available as has been talked about to encourage students even more to preform well is the first to come to mind.

It just sucks that it was presented the way it was by LCA. it is just a bad look.
In addition to the LCA students who have been receiving these scholarships even though they have the means to attend Liberty if they choose w/o these funds, let´s face it, not every kid who attends a christian HS like LCA really belongs at Liberty. No doubt there are many there right now who would rather be elsewhere but are going to LU only because it is free to them.
Sly Fox wrote:This is a really bad look for LCA. No getting around it. I'm not impacted directly like Yacht Rock but from my distant view, I don't place blame on LU in this case. I see this as LCA dropping the ball.
But LU holds the purse strings
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]