This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

flamehunter wrote:Not sure which public schools your kids would got to but there are some pretty good options locally. Ours went through Brookville schools and did very well there. They were not the popular kids by any stretch but never had problems making friends. And there are actually a lot of good Christian teachers in those schools.
They had an outstanding Girls Basketball coach there in the late 80's through most of the 90's.....
Purple Haize wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Not sure which public schools your kids would got to but there are some pretty good options locally. Ours went through Brookville schools and did very well there. They were not the popular kids by any stretch but never had problems making friends. And there are actually a lot of good Christian teachers in those schools.
They had an outstanding Girls Basketball coach there in the late 80's through most of the 90's.....
Yes they did. :nod
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Yes they did. :nod
Pretty smokin hot too. Wonder whatever happened to her :dontgetit
Last I heard, she married a drug dealer who takes her to a lot of classic rock concerts. It's also rumored that he was a former professional basketball player and high school & college coach.
Cider Jim wrote:Last I heard, she married a drug dealer who takes her to a lot of classic rock concerts. It's also rumored that he was a former professional basketball player and high school & college coach.
Sounds like a cool dude. 8) should probably hang out with him
BJ, thanks for the e mail and congratulations on the new addition to your family coming in January! Good to hear from you. YR, I know you are still emotional about this decision but here are the facts again: 1. LU started giving scholarships to local Christian schools in the 90s. Students who attended 9-12 grade at LCA received 25% of their LU tuition per year of attendance. Timberlake, Temple and Faith Christian received 75% of that amount. 2. In early 2012, Liberty announced that the 25% per year scholarship would no longer be available but all students enrolled at that time were grandfathered. 3. Liberty announced in 2012 that LCA students would receive 10% of their Liberty tuition as a scholarship per year of attendance at LCA and, unlike in previous years under the old deal, announced that this 10% award was not guaranteed in future years and could be terminated at anytime. The goal was to avoid creating expectations among families with students who enrolled at LCA during the 2011-12 school year or later. 4. This week LU announced that the 10% scholarship would end after May of 2016. 5. It was also announced that all students who were enrolled at LCA before 2012 will still receive the 100% (25% per year) scholarship for their high school years. EVERY STUDENT NOW ENROLLED AT LCA WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN THAT EVERY ONE OF THEM WILL RECEIVE WHATEVER SCHOLARSHIP THEY HAVE EARNED. 5. Liberty even enhanced the scholarship for parents who enrolled after 2012 and were told not to count on the scholarship continuing indefinitely. If those students graduate from LU, they will be eligible for other institutional aid from LU like any other LU student and they can stack this aid on top of whatever 10% scholarships they have earned at LCA. For a student who has attended 4 years at LCA since 2012, that would mean about 38% in scholarships on top of the 40% they have already earned for a 78% discount. Even students who enrolled at LCA after 2012 and who leave LCA before graduating will still receive whatever scholarships they have earned but without the stacking enhancement. Our goal was to make the transition as painless as possible for as many students and to go the extra mile by doing much more than was ever promised - even after local Christian school graduates from these four schools received $53.4 million from LU in the last 10 years. All the high schoolers now attending the other three schools will be grandfathered as well.

We are providing more financial aid than ever and these changes were necessary to ensure that $109 million in aid that we give to residential students every year is distributed in the fairest and most equitable manner possible. And YR if the disclaimer is still included, it is not so that benefits already earned can be revoked. We have never done that and never would do that absent financial exigencies.

I typed all this out without running it by all the financial aid guys after receiving BJ's e mail so if I made a mistake, tell me and I'll correct it. SJ, good to see you are still posting on here. Are you coming to any football games this year? BG, his wife and new baby visited this past weekend. Always great to see any of the LUNATICS. You guys were the first students we got to know after taking this job!

And ALUMNUS, LU is not "cutting ties" with LCA or other local Christian schools. LU has supported LCA's (and TRBC's) mission as much as our corporate documents will allow and our board is exploring ways to continue that support in new and creative ways in the future.
We will keep doing whatever it takes to make LU world class, YR, while giving more and more financial aid. Nobody promised you anything that wasn't more than honored. I guess no good deed goes unpunished, YR! Disappointed but not surprised.
Last edited by JLFJR on September 8th, 2015, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yacht Rock wrote:Yeah, I suppose when you move across country and relocate your family to an unknown town on blind faith and are made a promise that is backed out on, it is emotional. Especially when it is concerning your children.

But hey, we're getting a giant tower. :-|
:popcorn

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Yacht Rock wrote:Yeah, I suppose when you move across country and relocate your family to an unknown town on blind faith and are made a promise that is backed out on, it is emotional. Especially when it is concerning your children.

You probably have been planning on that reply every since we traded e mails on Saturday! :D
JLFJR wrote:We will keep doing whatever it takes to make LU world class, YR, while giving more and more financial aid. Nobody promised you anything that wasn't more than honored. I guess no good deed goes unpunished, YR! Disappointed but not surprised.
Disappointed by your comment on the radio that the only families affected by your decision are families that aren't enrolled in LCA yet. That statement is insulting and demonstrates someone being out of touch with the numerous families that will be HUGELY impacted by this that are currently enrolled at LCA.
JLFJR wrote:

You probably have been planning on that reply every since we traded e mails on Saturday! :D
No, I accepted your apology for the tone you took in your emails to me and moved on. I'm only replying to you because you mentioned me in your posts.
JLFJR wrote:SJ good to see you are still posting on here. Are you coming to any football games this year? BG, his wife and new baby visited this past weekend. Always great to see any of the LUNATICS. You guys were the first students we got to know after taking this job.
Unfortunately we won't be coming to campus. We had hoped to but after hospital baby bills, we won't be able to swing for the hotel. I'm planning to go to Georgia State though since I can make it a day trip. The wife may come to that one too. Thanks for asking.
YR, I said I had to respond briefly that morning because I didn’t have my computer handy. That's what I meant when I said sorry for being short. You apologized for being short and I appreciate that. What I said on the radio was that only families not yet enrolled would be impacted or something like that. What I meant was only families not yet enrolled would no longer receive benefits under this program. Nothing insulting about that. It is true.

I am very much in touch with all the LU students who are working and taking out loans to attend LU but who did not happen to attend one of these four schools.
Here's my question with the whole thing:

What's the vision for LCA/TRBC/LU long term? Obviously they were started together and were intertwined at the beginning. But as the three grow, it only makes sense for them to begin to branch off and become their own separate entities. At the end of the day, it may not be the worst thing if Liberty and LCA "cut ties" and operated simply as a local Christian school and the University. Being on the same campus makes that hard though.

With that said, I hate how this whole thing went down. I don't have a better solution, but as an outsider looking in, it feels like this came out of left field with no warning. That's the part that stings. Sort of like ripping a band aid off. It hurts worse right now because it just happened so quickly.
Believe it or not, I don't want to argue with you. I do understand the university position and understand the reasons for stopping the scholarship. My issue, that I have expressed in this forum and to you, is that when we enrolled in LCA we were told for every year we attended we would receive 10% toward tuition. Obviously, LCA oversold something that wasn't there's. You say no one promised but you weren't there when we had our phone interview for my daughter to apply to LCA.

I had no reason to doubt that. Obviously our family took a gamble and lost. We are in that grieving process now where we are coming to grips with the fact that we won't be able to afford to send our children to LCA for many more years and cover the remainder of the tuition. That reality is very different than what we were told by the LCA admissions team and superintendent when we enrolled there in early 2013.

In all likelihood we will have to leave LCA and pray that the public schools here in Forest are decent while we put every penny away into a college fund.

When I say a promise was broken I'm not blaming you personally or Liberty personally but the fact that someone felt confident enough to tell our family that. Obviously Liberty's decision has made that promise void and that is frustrating. I understand from Libertys perspective that promise should have never been made. Pontificating on what should have been done doesn't change the reality that there are a lot of families struggling right now.
SuperJon wrote:Here's my question with the whole thing:

What's the vision for LCA/TRBC/LU long term? Obviously they were started together and were intertwined at the beginning. But as the three grow, it only makes sense for them to begin to branch off and become their own separate entities. At the end of the day, it may not be the worst thing if Liberty and LCA "cut ties" and operated simply as a local Christian school and the University. Being on the same campus makes that hard though.

With that said, I hate how this whole thing went down. I don't have a better solution, but as an outsider looking in, it feels like this came out of left field with no warning. That's the part that stings. Sort of like ripping a band aid off. It hurts worse right now because it just happened so quickly.
You are 100% correct. Even as recent as two weeks ago LCA was advertising that if your child goes to LCA from 3rd grade to 12th grade, you receive a 100% tuition scholarship to LU so for a lot of people this came out of left field.
SJ, actually, I and my board have been agonizing over this decision for years. Many LCA kids couldn't have attended LU without this scholarship but many easily could have while so many LU students were struggling to pay their bills. That's why we put everyone on notice in 2012 that this program couldn't last forever and signaled that changes may be coming. I feel bad for YR and others like him with young children at LCA but, like you said, we could not find a better solution after years of discussing and searching. All we can really do is continue to work to strengthen financial aid for local students who need it and deserve it and help as many of those as we can.

I think LCA's membership in the VHSL will give it a big boost and I think there are many ways that LU can continue to support the mission of organizations like TRBC and LCA that are such an important part of LU's heritage. I think you will see some of those efforts take shape in coming months.

And YR, I think LCA has been very clear since 2012 in all its ads that students earn 10% per year from LU but that is subject to terminate after any given year. Before 2012, no such disclaimer existed in their ads.
JLFJR wrote:
And YR, I think LCA has been very clear since 2012 in all its ads that students earn 10% per year from LU but that is subject to terminate after any given year. Before 2012, no such disclaimer existed in their ads.
That's not correct. I don't know if it is intentional or a mistake, but that most definitely is not in all of their ads.
Yacht Rock wrote:
JLFJR wrote:
That's not correct. I don't know if it is intentional or a mistake, but that most definitely is not in all of their ads.
I'm going to go with YR on this one. At the very very least it was heavily insinuated on a lot of ads.

I don't have a dog in this fight so I'll return
:popcorn
Check out page 50 of this recent presentation used within the last few weeks. No disclaimer or mention of it ending after any given year.

http://www.lcabulldogs.com/media/9910/A ... tation.pdf

This page which was active as of last week stated
"A FULL Tuition Liberty University scholarship is given to every LCA student who attends from grades 3 - 12."

http://www.lcabulldogs.com/index.cfm?pid=19609

When we began enrolling our children into LCA in early 2013, this is the document we were provided.

http://www.lcabulldogs.com/media/9910/s ... arship.pdf
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]