This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

They are being quite limited in the grandfathering. My son would walk away with 10% and my daughter 30%. If we want to combine that with other scholarships or financial aid, we have to stay at LCA until HS graduation. If we leave, we won't be able to stack the 10 or 30 percent with other aid.

I dread sending my children to public school due to the very bad experiences we've had but not sure if we can afford to send children to LCA and pick up the rest of the tab at Liberty.
Purple Haize wrote:I can see LCA enrollment taking a sizable hit
I agree. It's not cheap and forces us to decide, "What do we pay for? Christian K-12 or Christian College?"

I know you think I'm independently wealthy but we can't afford both.

I suppose all of the other schools in the VHSL have one less thing to complain about though.
Our family had planned on making the move to Lynchburg last fall and the LCA scholarship was a big part of the consideration. Personally, I'm relieved we stayed put after hearing this.

YachtRock, I'm sorry you are caught up in this transition. Unless there is a legal issue with LU offering the scholarships, ethically they should honor them. It was used as a recruiting tool to bring in new students.
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I can see LCA enrollment taking a sizable hit
I agree. It's not cheap and forces us to decide, "What do we pay for? Christian K-12 or Christian College?"

I know you think I'm independently wealthy but we can't afford both.
Sorry, Yacht. I feel so strongly about the importance of a Christian education. What are other parents in your position talking about doing? I will be praying for wisdom for you to make the right decisions going forward.
Yacht, Liberty provides 100 full tuition Valedictorian/Salutatorian scholarships each year, and these even go to homeschooled students who meet the minimum SAT/ACT requirements.

http://www.liberty.edu/financeadmin/fin ... fm?PID=298
Cider Jim wrote:Yacht, Liberty provides 100 full tuition Valedictorian/Salutatorian scholarships each year, and these even go to homeschooled students who meet the minimum SAT/ACT requirements.

They also offer scholarships to really really good D1 level athletes.

While I would love either, that's not really something you can count on or plan for as a parent.
I've read this announcement several times and I dont understand it. Is it after 2015 no new 10% chunks will be given out or is it any new students after 2015 dont get the deal?
Cider Jim wrote:Yacht, Liberty provides 100 full tuition Valedictorian/Salutatorian scholarships each year, and these even go to homeschooled students who meet the minimum SAT/ACT requirements.

That's your solution if you think about it. :|
Will be interesting to see how many parents pull their kids out of LCA now. I knew some kids that went there during my secondary schooling days and the scholarship to Liberty was reasons #1-10 for why their parents made the decision.

I'd love to know the real reasoning behind it, not whatever fluffed up reason they post on their website or give to the local media if they even choose to cover it. Pretty odd decision all around. It's not like they have to cut back on the amount of scholarships they give out just to sustain some financial stability.
As an LCA and LU alum, this does sadden me. That scholarship is what enabled me to get through undergrad without student loan debt (grad school was a GA position with our tennis teams, thank you Coach Johnson!!!), and a big reason why I went to Liberty. Yes, there are other options for scholarships, but my mathematically challenged self isn't valedictorian or salutatorian although I did graduate with honors, I'm not a great athlete by any means whatsoever (although I am in much better shape now than I was at 18), and yeah, "needs based," - leaves out the middle class entirely. Without that scholarship, I would've likely gone to Tech, W&M or Fordham in NYC, taking on thousands in debt...or community college for free thanks to the tobacco lawsuit (grandmother was a tobacco farmer, part of the settlement was kids/grandkids get free community college for job training).
LUconn wrote:I've read this announcement several times and I dont understand it. Is it after 2015 no new 10% chunks will be given out or is it any new students after 2015 dont get the deal?
No new 10% chunks are being given out after May 2016.

So for instance, my son who just started Kindergarten will only be eligible for 10%.

You can stack that scholarship with other Liberty scholarships and federal/state grants if you attend LCA through HS graduation. If you decide to leave LCA, you get the 10%, but you can't combine it with any other federal/state grants or Liberty scholarships.
Purple Haize wrote:

Lol, I thought about that.
LUconn wrote:It's a few hundred kids every year, if that. And the majority dont take up any rooms on campus. I don't get it. This is really gonna hurt LCA.
According to the release, they want to spread the scholarship money around to other folks to receive.
The new scholarship programs will more fairly distribute financial assistance to local young people who perform well academically and who have the greatest financial need.
So I guess we can thank Cider for recruiting a bunch of honors students. :evil:

My kids are smart, but not sure if they are full ride scholarship smart and being middle class we likely won't qualify for those financial need scholarships. That means...debt. :(
Or, teach your kids a tireless work ethic and they can work their way through college. I know a couple guys who are or recently worked full time at Liberty while going full time as well. And they saved a lot up before starting school. It can be done. Other kids I know take a semester or two of to earn more. It at least minimizes debt coming out.
flamehunter wrote:Or, teach your kids a tireless work ethic and they can work their way through college. I know a couple guys who are or recently worked full time at Liberty while going full time as well. And they saved a lot up before starting school. It can be done. Other kids I know take a semester or two of to earn more. It at least minimizes debt coming out.
LOL, that's what I'm doing. Working full time and going to school but I'm almost 40 and the reason I am finishing school so late is because my parents had that philosophy. Work hard at your job and pay your way through school. Well I reached a point where I worked so hard that I had the jobs that normally required a degree and figured it was a fools errand to go to school to get the job I already had. LOL. Currently I'm finishing my degree because I have an employer that reimburses me the cost but if I didn't have that, I likely wouldn't be here.

I was hoping my kids could have the benefit of going to college without having to pay for it themselves, but it may come down to that.
I'm thankful for the post 9/11 GI Bill because if my 2 kids decide to go to college I can actually assist them with that. Working full time and going to school full time can work but it isn't ideal.

Liberty has a ton of cash. In fact they brag about it all the time. Taking stuff like this away hurts the image and hurts their ministry partners in TRBC/LCA. I can't imagine they were fond of the decision.
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I chortle audibly., I thought about that.
Not as difficult to be Valedictorian in a class of 1 Study :mrgreen:
It just sucks for parents who have planned and strategized to do it that way, and now their kid is halfway through school and they have yet to save a dime for higher education. Theyve missed out on a lot of compounding interest assuming they already had it covered
LUconn wrote:It just sucks for parents who have planned and strategized to do it that way, and now their kid is halfway through school and they have yet to save a dime for higher education. Theyve missed out on a lot of compounding interest assuming they already had it covered
Yeah, I reached out to Liberty and was basically told that it was my mistake to assume the scholarship would continue and I should be grateful for the scholarships that have been given out to past students.

:shock:

It's times like this that I am thankful that Liberty is comprised of more than one person and isn't defined by one decision. We will still try to send our kids there but man, it's going to be a heck of a lot harder.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]