This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Honestly, there is so much focus on the impact on parents, it's important to recognize how this impacts the children.

My 11 year old asked me if she could write a letter to Liberty asking them to reconsider. While this is going to adjust life for my wife and I, it pales in comparison to the daily change it will have on my daughter's life if we have to change schools to save money for college.

LCA parents received a note from Liberty University last night that seemed to insinuate that the frustration caused over this decision was due to "certain misinformation that has circulated in recent days." I don't think they understand that people understand the facts and are upset by the facts. Still, basically no empathy in the communication of this message.

The good news is, my wife are much more at peace with the reality that our children will have to change schools. Thankfully, we are a family that doesn't expect nor has never expected LCA to raise our kids or be the sole provider of a Godly education for them. When I contacted LCA Superintendent John Patterson he suggested getting a second job in my spare time to keep my kids at LCA. I advised him I'd rather spend my "spare time" raising my children considering I already work 50 hours a week.

At this point, even if they reversed the decision, my wife and I aren't sure we would take them up on it due to the lack of trust. The only thing our family wants at this point is just an apology and an explanation of how this happened. How were so many families told something that, according to Liberty University, was wildly inaccurate? I don't feel that will happen, unfortunately.

Talking it over with my wife and kids though, just like everything, this is a testimony and brings glory to God. This is a lesson that people and organizations will fail you. God won't though. He is a rock and in that, our family has joy and takes solace.

Personally, while it will be hard, there is part of me that is excited for what the future brings. My children may have a chance to minister to other kids in the public school system. Since we aren't beholden to a Liberty Scholarship, my children will have greater choice to where they want to go to college someday and that's not a bad thing.

Now, it's gameday so GO FLAMES!
SuperJon wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:When I contacted LCA Superintendent John Patterson he suggested getting a second job in my spare time to keep my kids at LCA.
I see he attended Liberty's "How To Suck At Public Relations" seminar.
LOL. Yeah. In his defense, when I explained that I'd rather be a father than send my kids to any school, he had to agree with that point.

But that being said, it seems that those in leadership are only able to look at the situation from a singular perspective, which doesn't fare well.
ballcoach15 wrote:I think the tower is a great addition to the University. People, near and far, should be able to identify LU when they approach Lynchburg, and after they arrive.
Yes, the bell tower at Pensacola Christian has certainly increased public opinion of THAT school. Maybe LU should surround campus with barbed wire like PCC, too?
I've been half paying attention to the building projects on campus-What is the point/reasoning of building the tower? Someone mentioned in a previous post is so that we can be a "world class" university. I don't want my alma mater being like the rest of the world universities; it's unique in it's own way. So it can be the largest building in Lynchburg so that people can identify LU? Can they not notice the LU monogram on the side of the mountain. Are we this desperate to be like other universities? Are we truly still following the mission? Apologize for going off the beaten path from the thread, but in a way it does relate.
jack_sparrow81 wrote:I've been half paying attention to the building projects on campus-What is the point/reasoning of building the tower? Someone mentioned in a previous post is so that we can be a "world class" university. I don't want my alma mater being like the rest of the world universities; it's unique in it's own way. So it can be the largest building in Lynchburg so that people can identify LU? Can they not notice the LU monogram on the side of the mountain. Are we this desperate to be like other universities? Are we truly still following the mission? Apologize for going off the beaten path from the thread, but in a way it does relate.
It's for those people who can't spell......
SuperJon wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:When I contacted LCA Superintendent John Patterson he suggested getting a second job in my spare time to keep my kids at LCA.
I see he attended Liberty's "How To Suck At Public Relations" seminar.

Bonehead statements like that coming from a long line of yes men kept me and my wife from enrolling the children in our alma mater.
olldflame wrote:The rule of thumb with law suits is you go after the deep pockets. Getting a judgement against LCA wouldn´t help anyone. Can´t get blood out of a turnip.
I would wager they have insurance for that type of contingency
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... 431ee.html

I had heard rumors in the last year that Liberty had bought LCA but it looks like it's finally officially public. This bit is funny:
LCA students also are eligible for scholarships to attend Liberty. According to the Liberty website, LCA students enrolled after 2012 can earn up to 10 percent off LU tuition per year they attend high school at LCA. Students enrolled before 2012 were grandfathered into a modified scholarship package that provides 25 percent off LU tuition for each year in the LCA high school.
Yacht Rock wrote:http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/l ... 431ee.html

I had heard rumors in the last year that Liberty had bought LCA but it looks like it's finally officially public. This bit is funny:
LCA students also are eligible for scholarships to attend Liberty. According to the Liberty website, LCA students enrolled after 2012 can earn up to 10 percent off LU tuition per year they attend high school at LCA. Students enrolled before 2012 were grandfathered into a modified scholarship package that provides 25 percent off LU tuition for each year in the LCA high school.
Odd
Yacht Rock wrote:I couldn't find anything else to confirm that the last statement is accurate but it would be interesting for those who thought the original decision was made to appease the VHSL.
Maybe I'm just sleepy but I would think tying it to LU would be less appealing to the VHSL despite the claims of 'independence '
Purple Haize wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:I couldn't find anything else to confirm that the last statement is accurate but it would be interesting for those who thought the original decision was made to appease the VHSL.
Maybe I'm just sleepy but I would think tying it to LU would be less appealing to the VHSL despite the claims of 'independence '
That was my point. A lot of folks were saying that LCA had to divorce itself from LU due to VHSL concerns. It appears that wasn't accurate.
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
That was my point. A lot of folks were saying that LCA had to divorce itself from LU due to VHSL concerns. It appears that wasn't accurate.
Could also indicate both LCA and TRBC are hurting for cash
ballcoach15 wrote:I don't think either is hurting for money, if so, the purchase price would have been more than $1.00
Seriously? Sometimes your lack of perception boggles the mind. The 'purchase price' of $1 isn't really relevant
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I don't think either is hurting for money, if so, the purchase price would have been more than $1.00
Seriously? Sometimes your lack of perception boggles the mind. The 'purchase price' of $1 isn't really relevant
That's for legal reasons. I'm sure this has something to do with the Nice NEW Church being built off site for TRBC;) I don't think LCA is a money maker for anyone, but to get control of that space and not have to build school with church, this was probably a good solution.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]