This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2015/0 ... y-revised/

Essentially R rated movies are allowed as long as they're in "good taste," and if an RA spots someone watching something inappropriate, its meant to inspire "conversation," rather than enforce a black and white rule.

Leggings are allowed as long as the buttocks is covered, skirts must be 2 inches from the knee, and the PDA rule is essentially scrapped.

Also: One excused absence from convo a semester.
I like their reasoning behind the entire thing. It's a much better approach to training students to be adults. I also like that it takes the stigma away from RAs. It holds leadership to a high standard. The key will be that RAs are given the training to handle things appropriately.
I like it but the only issue I see is that there is plenty of grey area and some RA's may use that for their advantage. The rules were pretty black and white when I lived on campus but somehow certain RA's still were a bit overzealous.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Many times the purpose of having a strict rule in place is not necessarily to squash everything like a Nazi and enforce every single incident 24/7. Instead, when an RA/professor does see something inappropriate, they have something to point to and back them up. When you jettison rules too broadly, you lose any option to discipline.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I like it but the only issue I see is that there is plenty of grey area and some RA's may use that for their advantage. The rules were pretty black and white when I lived on campus but somehow certain RA's still were a bit overzealous.
Exactly. Although I will be interested to see how it goes the first year.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts

Leggings are allowed as long as the buttocks is covered,

I cant figure out what this means vs what would have previously been the rule
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:

That's just the synopsis a current LU student (female) posted on my Facebook wall after I asked if R rated movies were now allowed.
And how do they define if one movie is in "good taste" but another isn't? That seems to be about as subjective of criteria as a human can possibly develop. I saw a few minutes of R-rated "Gigli" once, I think it's in poor taste because it's such a wretchedly awful movie!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:And how do they define if one movie is in "good taste" but another isn't? That seems to be about as subjective of criteria as a human can possibly develop. I saw a few minutes of R-rated "Gigli" once, I think it's in poor taste because it's such a wretchedly awful movie!
In other words, you won't get in trouble for watching The Passion of the Christ or Saving Private Ryan, but no Fifty Shades of Grey.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:And how do they define if one movie is in "good taste" but another isn't? That seems to be about as subjective of criteria as a human can possibly develop. I saw a few minutes of R-rated "Gigli" once, I think it's in poor taste because it's such a wretchedly awful movie!
Context and Content is king. Not all "R" ratings or "PG" ratings for that matter are equal.

That's why we don't have a blanket policy with our kids. We just look at the content of each movie to determine what is in it and make an appropriate decision.

For example, "Jaws" is rated PG. So is Pixar's latest "Inside Out". I'm sure a lot of parents who would let their young kids see Inside Out might not want to let them see Jaws at a very young age.

(For what it's worth, Jaws came out prior to the existence of a PG-13 rating, but by today's standards, it could have easily been given an R rating, depending on how the ratings board is comprised at the time.)
ATrain wrote:In other words, you won't get in trouble for watching The Passion of the Christ or Saving Private Ryan, but no Brokeback Mountain.
FIFY :nono
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ATrain wrote:In other words, you won't get in trouble for watching The Passion of the Christ or Saving Private Ryan, but no Brokeback Mountain.
FIFY :nono
:rofl :clapping
LUconn wrote:

My guess is leggings weren't allowed before and that girls had to wear jeans. They're saying they can now wear leggings as pants as long as their shirt covers their butt.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
LUconn wrote:

My guess is leggings weren't allowed before and that girls had to wear jeans. They're saying they can now wear leggings as pants as long as their shirt covers their butt.
That makes sense. This leggings thing has been a regretful trend for years now.
SuperJon wrote:I like their reasoning behind the entire thing. It's a much better approach to training students to be adults. I also like that it takes the stigma away from RAs. It holds leadership to a high standard. The key will be that RAs are given the training to handle things appropriately.
+1
SuperJon wrote:
LUconn wrote:

Or, they can wear super short dresses which they couldn´t get away with if they wore tights or stockings instead of the leggings.
The change in the PDA rule is amazing. Whatever happened to that one thread where the kid was taking pictures of the couple that practically turned their seats into a couch and had a spoonfest? Probably the most I've ever laughed at any online thread I've ever read.
Humble_Opinion wrote:The change in the PDA rule is amazing. Whatever happened to that one thread where the kid was taking pictures of the couple that practically turned their seats into a couch and had a spoonfest? Probably the most I've ever laughed at any online thread I've ever read.
That was me.

And that was awesome.

And those four reps were the only reps I got in my entire Liberty career.

And they were worth it.
SuperJon wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:The change in the PDA rule is amazing. Whatever happened to that one thread where the kid was taking pictures of the couple that practically turned their seats into a couch and had a spoonfest? Probably the most I've ever laughed at any online thread I've ever read.
That was me.

And that was awesome.

And those four reps were the only reps I got in my entire Liberty career.

And they were worth it.
I was thinking you were associated with it in some way... just couldn't remember. Where is that thread located? I'd like to read it again :)
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]