This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Has anybody heard about Movies 10 closing? Some non-liberty sources have suggested that it will be closing by the end of the year.

I would hate to see it closed... :(

If it closes, what do you think will happen with the property?

Personally, I think it would be a great opportunity for a number of departments at LU:

Business Majors could have hands on learning aspects of running a business including customer service. (Liberty should poach some management from Chick-Fil-A to be a mentor/director/manager).

Cinematic Arts Majors could have hands on with running the reels.

And hey: Criminal Justice Majors can have hands on with security. :lol:
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
My daughter just said that a co-worker (non-LU) said the same thing.

As for the security aspect, they could start a TSA type concentration at the aviation school. Full body scans to see a movie!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The closing was announced in Faculty Orientation.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
It always seems semi busy, especially during the school year (which is the opposite of normal movie theatre business cycle).

I know my family usually sees movies at Regal before they get to the Cinemark.

One thing that may be impacting it is that studios and distributors are reducing the window between theatrical release and Digital/DVD/Blu-Ray release, reducing the value to the casual moviegoer that Movies 10 has to offer.

That being said, I love to watch movies on the cinema screen and I don't think the home experience can replace that. If they offered movies that weren't offered at the Regal, I'd be there more often.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:It always seems semi busy, especially during the school year (which is the opposite of normal movie theatre business cycle).

I know my family usually sees movies at Regal before they get to the Cinemark.

One thing that may be impacting it is that studios and distributors are reducing the window between theatrical release and Digital/DVD/Blu-Ray release, reducing the value to the casual moviegoer that Movies 10 has to offer.

That being said, I love to watch movies on the cinema screen and I don't think the home experience can replace that. If they offered movies that weren't offered at the Regal, I'd be there more often.
I'm old school like that too. I love watching movies on a screen. Even if at most places now it's just a big screen DVR. Something special about it

From what I've heard is that the rental rates at that 'mall' are very high and have been raised almost or equal to similar space on wards road. That is probably why they are closing.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:If they offered movies that weren't offered at the Regal, I'd be there more often.
That kind of defeats the purpose of both places. The "dollar" theatre is called the "dollar theatre" for a reason. :lol:

I grew up going to movies when they first came out, but my wife has put the restrainers on me. I typically go to 4-5 movies at the dollar theatre and one (the yearly pixar film) at the "regular" theatre. The 4-5 doesn't include the 5-6 that I take my boys to each year as well.

I have no idea how well the theatre is doing, but someone mentioned that a manager had said that cinemark wanted to change the format and put upgrades to the facility. I assume they would have wanted an extended contract for the property, which might have been a sticky point with the university since at anytime they could start bulldozing. lol

In all honesty, I do think Liberty should make a run at a dollar theatre... not to make money but as a learning experience and a benefit to students/community.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Cinemark has gradually moved away from their discount theaters toward their high end model. They have been exceptionally successful in the latter in the past decade or so.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:If they offered movies that weren't offered at the Regal, I'd be there more often.
That kind of defeats the purpose of both places. The "dollar" theatre is called the "dollar theatre" for a reason. :I chortle audibly.:
I'm not referring to them showing the movies at the same time, but by the time a movie gets to the dollar theatre that I really care to see, I've likely already seen it at the other theatre.

If they were to go back and put some classics on the big screen, that would get my attention.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I'm cheap and I haven't even been there in years. Of course, movie selection has a lot to do with it. Every time I am in Lynchburg (which is frequently), I check the listings and the selection is pretty bad, and I'm not going to be overly picky with as cheap as the movies are.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
I hate to see it close! :( I LOVED that place. Back in the mid 90's when I attended Liberty, that was pretty much the only form of entertainment available if you lived on campus. I probably watched at least 2 movies a week there my freshman and sophomore years. It was an easy walk from campus, and it was usually FILLED with Liberty students.

A funny/gross little story about Movies 10...My buddies and I would ask random groups of girls at dinner to go hang out with us at the movies. When we would get to our seats in the theater, we'd ask the girls "You all want popcorn? Because we're buying if you want some!" Often the girls were impressed as popcorn wasn't cheap then either. We would then leave the girls in the theater, and go looking for empty tubs of popcorn in the garbage cans. We would wipe them out with a wet napkin, and then get the free refill from the concession stand. There were more than a few girls who thought we were big rollers because we bought them popcorn. Fortunately, none of them found out what we were doing. 8)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:I hate to see it close! :( I LOVED that place. Back in the mid 90's when I attended Liberty, that was pretty much the only form of entertainment available if you lived on campus. I probably watched at least 2 movies a week there my freshman and sophomore years. It was an easy walk from campus, and it was usually FILLED with Liberty students.

A funny/gross little story about Movies 10...My buddies and I would ask random groups of girls at dinner to go hang out with us at the movies. When we would get to our seats in the theater, we'd ask the girls "You all want popcorn? Because we're buying if you want some!" Often the girls were impressed as popcorn wasn't cheap then either. We would then leave the girls in the theater, and go looking for empty tubs of popcorn in the garbage cans. We would wipe them out with a wet napkin, and then get the free refill from the concession stand. There were more than a few girls who thought we were big rollers because we bought them popcorn. Fortunately, none of them found out what we were doing. 8)
Yeah, that's just wrong on many levels.

I hope the girls were worth it and not just a bunch of booger eaters.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
belcherboy wrote:I hate to see it close! :( I LOVED that place. Back in the mid 90's when I attended Liberty, that was pretty much the only form of entertainment available if you lived on campus. I probably watched at least 2 movies a week there my freshman and sophomore years. It was an easy walk from campus, and it was usually FILLED with Liberty students.

There were nights when we missed dinner (or just flat out skipped dinner at Marriot) and we'd go down there and eat that popcorn till we got sick. My cholesterol probably jumped to dangerous levels when we would have a popcorn dinner at Movies 10. It was so good though! It was even better when we had a car and would buy the $.35 cokes out of the machine outside of Walmart and sneak them into the theater with us. I remember sneaking a pizza in through the back door that led to the ally behind the movie theater once.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:go looking for empty tubs of popcorn in the garbage cans. We would wipe them out with a wet napkin, and then get the free refill from the concession stand.
I knew some of those guys. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:

There were nights when we missed dinner (or just flat out skipped dinner at Marriot) and we'd go down there and eat that popcorn till we got sick. My cholesterol probably jumped to dangerous levels when we would have a popcorn dinner at Movies 10. It was so good though! It was even better when we had a car and would buy the $.35 cokes out of the machine outside of Walmart and sneak them into the theater with us. I remember sneaking a pizza in through the back door that led to the ally behind the movie theater once.
Exhibit A why the theater is closing. Not judging but theaters make most of their money on concessions not ticket sales.
We may or may not sneak drinks in but we at least buy popcorn
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
belcherboy wrote:

Exhibit A why the theater is closing. Not judging but theaters make most of their money on concessions not ticket sales.
We may or may not sneak drinks in but we at least buy popcorn
Well I did it nearly 20 years ago, so I'm not sure I feel very responsible for their closing. :lol:

No doubt that being near a college campus probably hurts their concession sales compared to other places. I don't do it anymore, but I did it back in the day for sure. I remember in the middle of the school year, they implemented a 1 refill rule on buckets of popcorn. They would put a giant "X" on the bottom of the bucket when you got it refilled. I guess kids were taking the buckets with them and coming back to refill them at future visits.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I know you said you don't do it anymore and I know I made my share of mistakes over the years but it nonetheless illustrates a problem. I've seen a lot of instances where young Christians don't make the connection to integrity on things like that.

i.e. they don't understand that getting refills they didn't pay for as being the same as stealing
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Belcher- it's all good. Not judging you at all. Just using you as an example of what lots of people do
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I know you said you don't do it anymore and I know I made my share of mistakes over the years but it nonetheless illustrates a problem. I've seen a lot of instances where young Christians don't make the connection to integrity on things like that.

i.e. they don't understand that getting refills they didn't pay for as being the same as stealing
That is true. We use to sneak food out of Marriott all the time too. Of course we justified doing it by the thought process of "I don't eat all my meals here, so they are aren't losing any money off of me if I take some food to go." Regardless, that was stealing too and deep down inside, we knew it. It's just that everyone seemed to be doing it.

IMO, the "rub" when it comes to my generation and this current generation is determining what is right and wrong when everyone seems to accept a certain behavior. For instance, I was ALL OVER Napster when it first came out. I LOVED music and this allowed me to get any song I liked, as well as replace music that I had purchased that had been destroyed/lost. I really never thought of it as stealing until my dad started questioning it. Bottom line was that I was taking something that didn't belong to me, whether the law was clear on it or not. When the law determined it was stealing, I felt guilty enough to erase all the music I had downloaded. When I was home in Michigan this summer, I was shocked when my nephew was streaming movies that were in the theaters on his tv. (they were amazingly clear too!). When I told him that what he was doing was stealing, he gave me a weird look. It's become so easy and acceptable to steal certain things, that many of this generation don't really see it as stealing, or care enough to stop doing it.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Belcher- it's all good. Not judging you at all. Just using you as an example of what lots of people do
No worries! I remember A LOT of people doing it.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
belcherboy wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:I know you said you don't do it anymore and I know I made my share of mistakes over the years but it nonetheless illustrates a problem. I've seen a lot of instances where young Christians don't make the connection to integrity on things like that.

That is true. We use to sneak food out of Marriott all the time too. Of course we justified doing it by the thought process of "I don't eat all my meals here, so they are aren't losing any money off of me if I take some food to go." Regardless, that was stealing too and deep down inside, we knew it. It's just that everyone seemed to be doing it.

IMO, the "rub" when it comes to my generation and this current generation is determining what is right and wrong when everyone seems to accept a certain behavior. For instance, I was ALL OVER Napster when it first came out. I LOVED music and this allowed me to get any song I liked, as well as replace music that I had purchased that had been destroyed/lost. I really never thought of it as stealing until my dad started questioning it. Bottom line was that I was taking something that didn't belong to me, whether the law was clear on it or not. When the law determined it was stealing, I felt guilty enough to erase all the music I had downloaded. When I was home in Michigan this summer, I was shocked when my nephew was streaming movies that were in the theaters on his tv. (they were amazingly clear too!). When I told him that what he was doing was stealing, he gave me a weird look. It's become so easy and acceptable to steal certain things, that many of this generation don't really see it as stealing, or care enough to stop doing it.
Yeah a guy from my Sunday School class was showing me on his phone some movie he had access to through some app. When I advised him that it wasn't legal he gave me a funny look and just said, "but I just downloaded the app, I didn't do anything wrong."

I think some folks assume that if something is easily available, it must be free/legal/ethical. :-\

A lot of us, myself included, went through exactly what you're referencing in the change of perspective.

I know as a parent I want to make sure that I don't focus so much on the big issues that can arise, but also the small ones that sometimes people don't think about.

**Full Disclosure** - I made my bones working in the movie theatre industry for several years so the popcorn stuff hits home hard. LOL
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If this is confession time, yes, I downloaded music illegally too. I also watched rated R movies during my time at Liberty. However, I never pirated movies...
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I admit that I had just about every Commodore 64 game that existed at one point.

I did buy many of them...but many were copied.

I do miss the old school computers where everyone had the same system. You didn't have to install a program and hope that it worked.

On the commodore, nomrally you just put in the disc and typed, "Load "*",8,1" and you were good to go.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts

A real man of genius right here.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much.[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]