This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
But there is one ethical dilemma with downloading music for free. If it's out of print, not one single legally distributed physical copy exists, and it can't be legally purchased in a digital format anywhere, is it still stealing if you download it for free? No one is losing the music, and no one is losing any money since there isn't anything being sold.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:But there is one ethical dilemma with downloading music for free. If it's out of print, not one single legally distributed physical copy exists, and it can't be legally purchased in a digital format anywhere, is it still stealing if you download it for free? No one is losing the music, and no one is losing any money since there isn't anything being sold.
Can you name said music?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:But there is one ethical dilemma with downloading music for free. If it's out of print, not one single legally distributed physical copy exists, and it can't be legally purchased in a digital format anywhere, is it still stealing if you download it for free? No one is losing the music, and no one is losing any money since there isn't anything being sold.
I'd venture to say if it's not in the public domain or the content rights holder didn't make it available themselves for free on the market it is still stealing. I don't think that "being for sale" is a prerequisite for ownership on the part of the content creator.

And if the product is still held by a rights holder you may be depriving them of potential income even if the product isn't currently being sold.

Usually you can find out of print music on the gray market. In that case, the rights holder has been paid for the initial sale of physical media.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never been there. I have been to River Ridge Mall movie place one time.
meh there's no future in the talking pictures

nor in the horseless carriage

now the telegraph machine... that's where its at my friend
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
CRAP

YR beat me to it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I have never been there. I have been to River Ridge Mall movie place one time.
meh there's no future in the talking pictures

nor in the horseless carriage

now the telegraph machine... that's where its at my friend
I dunno. I hear that Howard Hughes fellow is re shooting that picture show from the Great War to make it a talkie. But he's always been a bit crazy
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:Yeah I know how you feel. Talkies sort of ruined the experience.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Can you name said music?
It's a hypothetical.
Yacht Rock wrote:
I'd venture to say if it's not in the public domain or the content rights holder didn't make it available themselves for free on the market it is still stealing. I don't think that "being for sale" is a prerequisite for ownership on the part of the content creator.

And if the product is still held by a rights holder you may be depriving them of potential income even if the product isn't currently being sold.

Usually you can find out of print music on the gray market. In that case, the rights holder has been paid for the initial sale of physical media.
Never heard of a music gray market.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
With all the questions about downloading, how about in the 90's when people would burn CDs and make mix tapes or CDs for their friends? Is that stealing?
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Just about to mention that...love seeing how involved he is on here/elsewhere. Seems pretty straightforward.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I hope Liberty is actively pursuing another company... if they aren't going to manage a theatre themselves.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR wasn't the only FlameFan poster commenting. Hopefully somebody else will see an opportunity in the space.

I didn't realize that Cinemark had moved its HQ up to Plano. I remember when they were a small family business in Central Texas. They clearly have a great formula for that industry.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
When things like this happen there are usually reasons on both sides. It's interested no that's there is a lot of tenant turn over there. Movies 10 was a good bedrock. They had the best popcorn!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:JLFJR wasn't the only FlameFan poster commenting. Hopefully somebody else will see an opportunity in the space.

I didn't realize that Cinemark had moved its HQ up to Plano. I remember when they were a small family business in Central Texas. They clearly have a great formula for that industry.
Lots of companies are coming to the DFW area, Sly :wink:
(Sorry everyone else, I just have to give the Yankee immigrant to Houston a hard time)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:When things like this happen there are usually reasons on both sides. It's interested no that's there is a lot of tenant turn over there. Movies 10 was a good bedrock. They had the best popcorn!
It was so good some folks evidently eat it right out of the garbage.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:When things like this happen there are usually reasons on both sides. It's interested no that's there is a lot of tenant turn over there. Movies 10 was a good bedrock. They had the best popcorn!
It was so good some folks evidently eat it right out of the garbage.

Only the bucket came out of the garbage. The popcorn was fresh from the stand! :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:(Sorry everyone else, I just have to give the Yankee immigrant to Houston a hard time)
ATrain, I have it on good authority that our own Sly Fox is no Yankee, but was actually born in the heart of Dixie, in the "scenic center of the South," Chattanooga, TN.
Last edited by Cider Jim on September 3rd, 2015, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]